Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Drew Ott named Parade All-American

  1. #31
    Recruit
    hrbhskr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Ummm...if Ott or Shoff were in Texas they would be 2 stars at best. They are benefiting from low competition levels. So don't say they would have had an offer.

    As of Friday LSU and USC had no commits from the Parade All-American list, their recruiting must be terrible this year.

    Are we really getting bent out of shape about not getting a guy that had offers from NDSU, SDSU, Ohio, and Iowa? The very foundation of Nebraska football that people are referring to in the 90's is that this kid should walk-on and not be offered. I mean we are seriously mad that this kid is going to Iowa instead of Nebraska. Check the egos at the door, if this kid chose LSU over us without an offer, then it's time to panic about our coaches evaluation skills.
    Egos? Panic? Really? It's a honest discussion about a Nebraska high school football player who was recently named to the Parade All American team. Nothing more then that. I notice you missed his offer from Kansas State, a BCS school that finished 8th in the country in the final BCS poll. Someone must think he has some game.

  2. #32
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,970
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbhskr View Post
    Egos? Panic? Really? It's a honest discussion about a Nebraska high school football player who was recently named to the Parade All American team. Nothing more then that. I notice you missed his offer from Kansas State, a BCS school that finished 8th in the country in the final BCS poll. Someone must think he has some game.

    I actually didn't miss anything....I was just repeating what was said. And just to game, set, match this argument, the position coach at the school that he committed to at the time is now at Nebraska and has not told Bo and company that he is better than who we are looking at now. Any more concerns?

  3. #33
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,970
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbhskr View Post
    Egos? Panic? Really? It's a honest discussion about a Nebraska high school football player who was recently named to the Parade All American team. Nothing more then that. I notice you missed his offer from Kansas State, a BCS school that finished 8th in the country in the final BCS poll. Someone must think he has some game.
    And if he chose Kansas State over us would you be worried? Same argument still can be said with them, just lump them in with Ohio and Iowa.

  4. #34
    Red Shirt
    70county's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    sioux city
    Posts
    1,527
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW Husker View Post
    Wow, all of this without even seeing the guy play. Interesting stuff.

    how many kids in florida, cali or texas have you seen play? i dont do high school recruiting for a living but it dont make me blind to the fact that their may be better players across the country and i have his recruiting offers and our coaching staff to back me. perhaps i hit a cord with your own accolades....if so maybe taking that high school all conference plague down know would be a good thing

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by 70county View Post
    how many kids in florida, cali or texas have you seen play? i dont do high school recruiting for a living but it dont make me blind to the fact that their may be better players across the country and i have his recruiting offers and our coaching staff to back me. perhaps i hit a cord with your own accolades....if so maybe taking that high school all conference plague down know would be a good thing

    Don't believe I stated he should have been offered.. What I did say is he could have been a plan B or C option. I just found it interesting you said he probably only received this accolade due to politics not his play on the field. Oh, and nice try with the weak dig.


  6. #36
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    120,279
    Neither one of these young men were going to get Husker offers and I would be surprised if they do now....we had and have better players on the big board....perhaps if we had 25-27 skollies this year one or both might have an offer....

    With a limited class young men like this, in the postions they play, are just not going to get offers.....its nothing against them....its a numbers game....

    Being an All-American or a Heisman Trophy winner (Crouch) does not guarantee sucess or even a chance at the next level....just the way it is....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  7. #37
    Scout Team
    N2FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,315
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    As much as it bites, 'the numbers game' is the reality of this year. Nebraska is currently sitting in a situation with Aaron Curry and Vincent Valentine where it's possible (not likely, but possible) that we could have to take one and turn the other down.

    I'm still not sure Sam Cotton gets an offer if Nebraska hadn't struck out on a number of tight ends so early in the process.

    It's unfortunate, but as I said - the numbers game is this year's reality. 2013 should be far better for in-state players.
    Some people on this board may not like me because of the stance I took against Sam Cotton earlier in the season. I dont think he deserved a scholarship offer in a class like this (size). And he was indeed offered early in the process, back in May, and committed in June. I know they missed out early on top guys like Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick, Christo Kourtzidis, Sean Price and Devin Funchess.

    Frankly, I think Cotton was getting an offer no matter what. It just strikes me that of the instate kids to get offers - its the son of a coach. Personally I think Ott or Shoff should have gotten the one instate offer this season but...

  8. #38
    Varsity
    coherbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    10%?? Has it ever been that high? The roof would blow off this place and rightfully so if the coach staff set aside around 10% of schollies every year for kids whose only qualification was that they are instate.
    actually it's rarely that low...

    2011 - 4 of 20 signees were from NE (20% of class)
    2010 - 4 of 21 signees were from NE (19% of class)
    2009 - 2 of 21 signees were from NE (~10% of class)
    2010 - 6 of 28 signees were from NE (21% of class)

    again, not debating the merit of the individuals, (will leave those evaluations to the experts), simply stating a philosophy / opinion that the best kids in the state, at least deserve an offer. Other DI programs have offered multiple in state players, so these aren't rudys for rudy's sake.

    we hear a lot about stars & rankings, but at the end of the day, these homegrown kids are typically the last ones you have to worry about being homesick (aside from EC ) , transferring, etc.. and tend to wind up contributing significantly (& along the way often impart the hard work ethic of the great state of nebraska). & to qualify, especially linemen, where a motor + determination are difficult to quantify IMO.

    even in a year with a small class (rumored to be 15 or 16) - & I'd say especially in such a year - seems logical to make room for the likes of the local Parade all american... again, just advocating rounding 1.6 up to 2

  9. #39
    #1 Husker Fan
    FCHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Fort Collins Area
    Posts
    11,661
    Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    Some people on this board may not like me because of the stance I took against Sam Cotton earlier in the season. I dont think he deserved a scholarship offer in a class like this (size). And he was indeed offered early in the process, back in May, and committed in June. I know they missed out early on top guys like Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick, Christo Kourtzidis, Sean Price and Devin Funchess.

    Frankly, I think Cotton was getting an offer no matter what. It just strikes me that of the instate kids to get offers - its the son of a coach. Personally I think Ott or Shoff should have gotten the one instate offer this season but...
    Couldnt agree more.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops


    It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •