Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Talman Recruiting (1/10/12) Audio/w my notes: Glowing comments on Armstrong

[QUOTE=Scrollsker:815248]
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    FYI.....

Outside of being smack dab in the middle of the backyard of many great recruits, what the he!! does that mean? We don't have a complete sheister for a head coach? Because as far as education, facilities, and football are concerned Nebraska has every bit of opportunity to be successful as do the recruits.

We don't change our uni's every two games and don't always have 90 deg weather...does the harsh winter that we have every few years hurt? Sure, but outside of distance I am really getting tired of this can't compete for top recruits junk. As a top flight WR why would you go to Bama? They ran the ball and played the Field position game all season long, they passed well enough to be effective but not to have a 1,000 yd receiver.....sorry, some comments really tick me off
    I think being in the recruits back yards is exactly what he means by natural attributes...another factor is that Nebraska doesnt carry as much cred as it used to. Not saying you are but many husker fans still think what we did in the 90s is gonna carry weight with todays recruits and it just doesn't. Bama and lsu have both been perennial powers of late...Nebraska not so much. That makes a big difference in overcoming some of the natural disadvantages. I think Bo has got us on the right track as evidenced by the recruits interested in us now. The fact we have had a first round draft pick in each of the last 2 and about to be 3 years, plus the NFL success of other huskers who played under Pelini has gone a long way in making Nebraska an attractive place for top level recruits.

You nailed it....

[QUOTE=caNUfeelit;815301]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker:815248

I think being in the recruits back yards is exactly what he means by natural attributes...another factor is that Nebraska doesnt carry as much cred as it used to. Not saying you are but many husker fans still think what we did in the 90s is gonna carry weight with todays recruits and it just doesn't. Bama and lsu have both been perennial powers of late...Nebraska not so much. That makes a big difference in overcoming some of the natural disadvantages. I think Bo has got us on the right track as evidenced by the recruits interested in us now. The fact we have had a first round draft pick in each of the last 2 and about to be 3 years, plus the NFL success of other huskers who played under Pelini has gone a long way in making Nebraska an attractive place for top level recruits.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollsker View Post
    Outside of being smack dab in the middle of the backyard of many great recruits, what the he!! does that mean?
    That's pretty much it. Proximity is the overriding factor in where kids end up. Not with all. But with most.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by caNUfeelit View Post
    I agree with the need for competition at qb to help whoever is the starter is to improve by being pushed by the #2 and #3 guys. My theory this year on qb playing time is threefold. First is that Bo feels he learned some things by throwing Cody out there probably before he was truly ready and that had a long term effect on his overall development at the position and he doesn't want a repeat of that with brion. Second, with the new offense he wanted to give Taylor all the game reps in hopes it would payoff down the road...more gametime snaps in the offense hopefully would lead to more consistency and comfort in the system. Finally, they did the whole pull the qb for mistakes, etc style to varying degrees in '09 and '10 and never really got the results expected and so I don't know that the coaching staff buys into it anymore.

Another year in the system for brion as well as the incoming/existing talent at the position and I think Taylor will really be pushed this spring. Hopefully that translates to improved passing and overall continued improvement you would expect to see in a 3rd year qb.

Just my two cents anyway
    See that's the thing....I'm not sure that is the case. Cody was a class act and very mature beyond his years from the moment I met him during his first spring to the last time I talk to him on his way home before heading to Tulsa. Being rattled happens to most in the situation Cody was put in during his freshman year. But that was not his problem going into his sophomore year and definitely not by the end of the season. I think it's safe to say that they finally gave him a gameplan for the CU game that was catered to his ability and he executed it well. My last conversation with him gave me the feeling that (not his words just my interpretation) he felt he wasn't going to get his chance to actually lead the team here no matter how well he practiced or played in a game because so many actions were being altar to get Martinez comfortable running a scheme. This is the reason I why it's hard for me to accept the statements that Brion has a huge gap between him and TM. I'm not going to say he is the man and should be handed the keys to the Benz but I don't see why he isn't allow to go out and make a couple mistakes and hopefully a big play along the way, but Martinez is allowed to go game after game making the same mistakes and the staff give us this b.s. line saying he's getting better at his checks and recognizing defenses.....it's not about just knowing what the defense is about to do, is about knowing what to do when they are doing it and Martinez many times haven't shown he knows what to do in that situation. I would like to see Carnes get out and "show" us that he's light years behind the starter in that case. What's worse an INT by Carnes or an INT by Martinez? Neither, it's still an INT, but Carnes is getting some experience and possibly getting more comfortable out there. Martinez has been here 3 seasons. Maturity should not be something that is his primary focus as the QB.

And if a qb doesn't respond to being taken out of the game for his mistakes then I would say that he isn't the guy you should have leading your team. Leaders lead and if they have a misstep, they figure out how to fix it so that they can continue to lead. A coach shouldn't stop coaching because the qb isn't getting it. You go to the next guy until someone gets it. It happens at every position. Why does the rules change for the qb position..
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

Scout Team
    Outside of being smack dab in the middle of the backyard of many great recruits, what the he!! does that mean? We don't have a complete sheister for a head coach? Because as far as education, facilities, and football are concerned Nebraska has every bit of opportunity to be successful as do the recruits.

We don't change our uni's every two games and don't always have 90 deg weather...does the harsh winter that we have every few years hurt? Sure, but outside of distance I am really getting tired of this can't compete for top recruits junk. As a top flight WR why would you go to Bama? They ran the ball and played the Field position game all season long, they passed well enough to be effective but not to have a 1,000 yd receiver.....sorry, some comments really tick me off
    I agree with your first paragraph. But the bolded comments caught my attention. Julio Jones was almost a two-time 1000 yard WR for Alabama in his three seasons. As a junior, he had 78 rec. for 1133 yds and 7 TD. As a frosh, he had 924 yards. I know that was their 2009 team, but I think both Crimson Tide teams are alike in style. Alabama is a running team (like Nebraska) and I suspect Nebraska is quite envious of how well they do it.

Alabama has shown how teams like Nebraska can be primarily a running team and yet still recruit top WRs to play in their offense as well. Julio Jones was the #1 WR recruit of his class, played with a Heisman RB and still thrived statistically.

Red Shirt

RR, I agree about the location of recruits. Bottom line is, 85-90% of recruits stay within about 400 miles or less of where they live. At least there is competition for texas and florida kids, because of multiple schools------- usc just chooses kids really, is ucla really competition, really ? any idiot could recruit to usc. an average coach and staff could and should get 9 wins there just based on the fact that most kids want to stay close to home.
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Husker Immortal
    There were opportunities this year for Carnes to get more snaps and he wasn't allowed to get them. I sure hope Martinez is pushed by Carnes and Armstrong or even more that tbe competition is really opened up.......otherwise, I'm sure Martinez can lead us to another nine win season.
    "Statistics are like the bikini: what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital."

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Power of Corn View Post
    RR, I agree about the location of recruits. Bottom line is, 85-90% of recruits stay within about 400 miles or less of where they live. At least there is competition for texas and florida kids, because of multiple schools------- usc just chooses kids really, is ucla really competition, really ? any idiot could recruit to usc. an average coach and staff could and should get 9 wins there just based on the fact that most kids want to stay close to home.
    I think you are looking at USC, post Pete Carroll. When Carroll took over in December 2000, USC was in the middle of a very average run. Paul Hackett ('98-'00) was 19-18 and John Robinson ('93-'97) was 37-21-2. USC does have all of the advantages you mentioned and Oregon is basically their main competition for recruits today, but that doesnt mean "any idiot" could recruit to USC, let alone build a winner. You have to give a ton of credit to Pete Carroll and now to Lane Kiffin. IMO Kiffin has done an A+ job at USC considering the circumstances he is going through there. Facing some stiff penalties and he still recruited a #1 class ('10) and a #4 ('11) class. Even with the small classes he must begin to take this season, he arguably has the best class again this year, man-for-man. Having a team playing for pride only, he coached USC to a #6 finish in the AP poll - very admirable. I think USC could challenge for a National Title next year.

LSU was the same way before Nick Saban arrived in November of 1999 replacing Gerry DiNardo at LSU. Before DiNardo became coach, LSU had six straight losing seasons and hadn't been ranked in the AP Poll since 1989. DiNardo coached at LSU for 5-years and had a 32-24-1 record. IMO LSU has a better recruiting situation than USC. The Tigers are smack-dab between Texas and Florida (and recruit both states well) not to mention the Bayou State itself owns a very rich (Top 10) state talent pool.

USC and LSU were both considered 'sleeping giants' during much of the 80's and 90's. It took a couple of the best college coaches of all-time to wake them up.

Junior Varsity

One of my best friends works for USC and he said to book my trip to Miami for next year. Pretty amazing what Kiffin has done keeping them afloat.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    One of my best friends works for USC and he said to book my trip to Miami for next year. Pretty amazing what Kiffin has done keeping them afloat.
    On that note, I wonder if all of the OU fans had trouble getting rid of their New Orleans accommodations?
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    On that note, I wonder if all of the OU fans had trouble getting rid of their New Orleans accommodations?
    Agreed, thus why nothing has been purchased.

If you followed recruiting you would understand that it is not easy recruiting to Nebraska.....we do not have the natural advantages of Texas, Louisiana, Florida, California, Ohio etc. etc. where they can pick and choose for the local in-state kids and finish off the classes with a few out of state kids....

Nebraska has to recruit nation wide....curious about your comment that 'we are smack db in the middle of the backyard of many great recruits'...could not disagree with you more....and yes weather is a factor with many recruits as is distance....like it or not....

Sorry but Talman is correct in what he said....like it or not....shouldn't tick you off its a fact and you and others need to be more aware just how hard it is to recruit to Nebraska....and just how good this staff has done and done so honestly and with integrity....
    I wasn't referring to "we" as in Nebraska, they as in Alabama and others. I WAS in fact acknowledging their location as a plus, but discounting the fact that the rest is a HUGE advantage. I wanted an explanation for "NATURAL" recruiting advantage. Even more curious is why big schools down there like Ole Miss, Miss St., or FSU are having down years. That is talent rich area too, but

I didn't say Nebraska (we) have an ideal location

Red Shirt
    I wasn't referring to "we" as in Nebraska, they as in Alabama and others. I WAS in fact acknowledging their location as a plus, but discounting the fact that the rest is a HUGE advantage. I wanted an explanation for "NATURAL" recruiting advantage. Even more curious is why big schools down there like Ole Miss, Miss St., or FSU are having down years. That is talent rich area too, but
    FSU the last 2 years have had great recruiting classes but like all schools do they are having their 'new coach slump'. As for the Mississippi schools hey have always been near the bottom of the SEC & some things just never change.

If you followed recruiting you would understand that it is not easy recruiting to Nebraska.....we do not have the natural advantages of Texas, Louisiana, Florida, California, Ohio etc. etc. where they can pick and choose for the local in-state kids and finish off the classes with a few out of state kids....

Nebraska has to recruit nation wide....curious about your comment that 'we are smack db in the middle of the backyard of many great recruits'...could not disagree with you more....and yes weather is a factor with many recruits as is distance....like it or not....

Sorry but Talman is correct in what he said....like it or not....shouldn't tick you off its a fact and you and others need to be more aware just how hard it is to recruit to Nebraska....and just how good this staff has done and done so honestly and with integrity....
    Yup, just basic facts.

Also having a MNC in this century also helps those other teams.