Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost in all of the BCS hand-wringing

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W

Lost in all of the BCS hand-wringing

is the likelihood that Alabama and LSU would have played for the championship no matter what system was in place. If they had each played one more game (against Oklahoma State and Stanford?), would that have made a rematch more legitimate?

Why? It still would have been the same two teams that faced off earlier in the season. It still would have been undefeated LSU vs one-loss Alabama. After 14 games, would one more game have made a difference?

Husker Immortal
    yes, it would have seemed more legitimate.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    is the likelihood that Alabama and LSU would have played for the championship no matter what system was in place. If they had each played one more game (against Oklahoma State and Stanford?), would that have made a rematch more legitimate?

Why? It still would have been the same two teams that faced off earlier in the season. It still would have been undefeated LSU vs one-loss Alabama. After 14 games, would one more game have made a difference?
    based on some of the comments I have read, there are those who think OSU and Oregon could have beaten LSU now. Because we all know that OSU and Oregon both have outstanding defenses that could have made LSU look as silly as Bama did. If I am not mistaken, Oregon had their chance to beat LSU earlier this year while LSU had several key players out on suspension and we all know how that turned out.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    yes, it would have seemed more legitimate.
    Very much so.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmy View Post
    based on some of the comments I have read, there are those who think OSU and Oregon could have beaten LSU now. Because we all know that OSU and Oregon both have outstanding defenses that could have made LSU look as silly as Bama did. If I am not mistaken, Oregon had their chance to beat LSU earlier this year while LSU had several key players out on suspension and we all know how that turned out.
    I'm not sure Oregon is in the discussion. A +1 would have had Stanford, Okie St, Alab, and LSU.

pray for me ;)
    I'm not sure Oregon is in the discussion. A +1 would have had Stanford, Okie St, Alab, and LSU.
    I would love to see OSU attack the Alabama defense. They might struggle, but they also might make some big plays. Its intriguing. On the other hand, I also liked watching two great defenses go at it last night as well. Alabama's D is monstrous. I shudder to think how Martinez would have looked going up against that.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Problem is you don't know that Thill....its pure speculation on your part....unless its played on the field we will never know....and thats why more and more and more folks refuse to watch the BCS....

So yeah who ever got through the playoffs it would have been more legitimate...and folks are voting by not watching the BCS and that in the end will change the system....$$$ are the bottom line...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Ayyy!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Problem is you don't know that Thill....its pure speculation on your part....unless its played on the field we will never know....and thats why more and more and more folks refuse to watch the BCS....

So yeah who ever got through the playoffs it would have been more legitimate...and folks are voting by not watching the BCS and that in the end will change the system....$$$ are the bottom line...
    But even when it is decided on the field, people won't accept the results. See last night's game for an example.

Yes they will....

But even when it is decided on the field, people won't accept the results. See last night's game for an example.

Husker Immortal
    I think they will. People generally accept the winner of the playoffs in all the other football divisions, and the Super Bowl, and the basketball tournament, etc.

5-Star Recruit
    I think they would. It's not the result from last night, it was the process that created the matchup. If the two teams were to have met in a playoff involving more than the two teams, it would have been much more acceptable.
    I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
    Earl Warren

I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband.
    Thurgood Marshall

Ayyy!

I think they will. People generally accept the winner of the playoffs in all the other football divisions, and the Super Bowl, and the basketball tournament, etc.
    How many teams are required for it to count as a "playoff?" The top two seeds played yesterday.

I wasn't alive when this was the case, but major league baseball's postseason used to consist of just the World Series, with the two best teams competing for the crown. The NFL didn't even have a championship game, and instead just awarded their championship to the team with the best record. Eventually, they had the top two teams play for the championship.

Those sports have changed their formats because their league structure allows them to do so and still maintain relative competitive equality in their divisions/conferences. Major college football can't do that without a complete and total realignment.

Ayyy!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerJAG View Post
    I think they would. It's not the result from last night, it was the process that created the matchup. If the two teams were to have met in a playoff involving more than the two teams, it would have been much more acceptable.
    Why? Over the course of 3 months and 13/14 games, didn't they prove that they were the two best teams in the country?

Even so, most playoffs don't always include the BEST teams, just the teams that win divisions/conferences. That really doesn't prove superiority.

God of Huskermax

THill nails it in this thread!

Exactly....

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerJAG View Post