Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: 20 days until NU baseball practice starts.

Junior Varsity

20 days until NU baseball practice starts.

I'm sorry! and believe it or not I was a huge huge Fan of Doc!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

Husker Fan
    Sadly, even if the baseball team is better (can't be worse than the last few seasons under Anderson), it won't matter much. The Big Ten in baseball is the equivalent of the Sunbelt in football... bottom of the barrel. Nebraska may win the Big Ten, but their RPI will be horrible -- just as the champion of the Big Ten's RPI is most seasons. And then, if they get the automatic bid into the NCAA regionals (by winning the conference, which is about the only way the Big Ten earns a bid), they'll be so ill-prepared by playing cupcakes, that they'll get hammered against real competition.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    Sadly, even if the baseball team is better (can't be worse than the last few seasons under Anderson), it won't matter much. The Big Ten in baseball is the equivalent of the Sunbelt in football... bottom of the barrel. Nebraska may win the Big Ten, but their RPI will be horrible -- just as the champion of the Big Ten's RPI is most seasons. And then, if they get the automatic bid into the NCAA regionals (by winning the conference, which is about the only way the Big Ten earns a bid), they'll be so ill-prepared by playing cupcakes, that they'll get hammered against real competition.
    so you're saying there's a chance...!!!!!

Sounds like we need to beef up our non-conference schedule to help out our RPI. Our baseball schedule could wind up being the opposite of our basketball schedule. Instead of a non-conf. schedule full of cupcakes and a brutal conference schedule, we could play a bunch of good teams in March and early April and then play lesser competition in league play.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Monds Fan View Post
    Sounds like we need to beef up our non-conference schedule to help out our RPI. Our baseball schedule could wind up being the opposite of our basketball schedule. Instead of a non-conf. schedule full of cupcakes and a brutal conference schedule, we could play a bunch of good teams in March and early April and then play lesser competition in league play.
    http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.d...&db_oem_id=100

I don't see a lot of perennial CWS-type teams on the non-conference slate this coming season. Cal is the one team that I see as a potential CWS team (they were there last season).

(wrong board?)

Cake or Death?
    http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.d...&db_oem_id=100

I don't see a lot of perennial CWS-type teams on the non-conference slate this coming season. Cal is the one team that I see as a potential CWS team (they were there last season).
    Hopefully the Pac 12 B1G alliance helps out with some of the earlier scheduling in the future. Could maybe also help elevate the B1G profile in baseball. But for the B1G to truly become competitive they need to get rid of the silly recruiting rule that puts them at a disadvantage.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

Who will be playing ss this year?

huskerborn
    I am looking forward to this year.

This should be a fun year of transition.

Things to watch:
    1. Erstad: At the height of his MLB career, he made 54 times what NU is paying him. In his last year, he made more than 10x. Will he made the transition from MLB to retired to full time college coach?
    2. Will any Husker Fans come out to watch Matt Strahm, a recently signed pitching prospect from Neosho Co. Community College when his team plays at Johnson Co CC in suburban KC on April 6 & 7th? Will Matt be pitching?

Calling The Count

True, for the most part. But good, dominant pitching can take you a long way. NU is unique as a Northern school that can host regionals, so the NCAA looks at that.

Nebraska has what other Big 10 schools don't: A history of recent success and CWS appearances. It isn't like they are playing baseball with some far off pipe dream of making it to Omaha (like in 1998 under DVH in his first year), this has happened before.

So while I certainly agree the schedule needs extreme out-of-conference upgrading, I'll say there is plenty of intrastructure and intangibles for Nebraska to be a frequent regional team, with occasional appearances in the Supers and maybe even the CWS...
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    True, for the most part. But good, dominant pitching can take you a long way. NU is unique as a Northern school that can host regionals, so the NCAA looks at that.

Nebraska has what other Big 10 schools don't: A history of recent success and CWS appearances. It isn't like they are playing baseball with some far off pipe dream of making it to Omaha (like in 1998 under DVH in his first year), this has happened before.

So while I certainly agree the schedule needs extreme out-of-conference upgrading, I'll say there is plenty of intrastructure and intangibles for Nebraska to be a frequent regional team, with occasional appearances in the Supers and maybe even the CWS...
    I noticed that TOS pays 2x what NU does to their baseball coach. Is TO exploiting DE?