Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Observation

Recruit

Observation

I was checking some pictures I took at the Nebraska/Michigan game and noticed: Our Defense Line was lining up at least one yard off the ball before the snap. It appeared to be by design.

Theories: To contain Qb? Not letting the Michigan line get into our frame? Stunts? There had to be a specific reason as to what we were trying to do. What are your thoughts?

Tried to upload picture but it will not work. Sorry

Junior Varsity
    they did this basically all year. most of the run plays the O line got a yard push on our D line! I didnt understand that strategy either. our D line buckled under the fire off the ball by the opposing O line. mind boggling
    Support our troops......they are the ones that gave us the freedom that we know today.

Travel Squad

You will see NFL and college teams do this sporadically like we do, we don't do it every down but we seem to do it more than most. It lets us read the first step of the line before they get engaged with us.....i'll leave it at that as I don't want to put the entire philosophy of it on here.

This has been mentioned off and on during the season, but I will suggest this as a possibility:

They want the DT to fire through the gap and be disruptive. The ends to clean up. If the DTs are closer to the line, the OL can get their hands on the them to hold at the point of engagement. Since they are undersized, they will be be pushed back quicker than lining a yard off. In theory, the ball is snapped and DL shoots through a gap before the OL can grab the jersey and allows the DL to direct the OL where they want the play to go.

One of the main problems with the strategy is Crick and Steinkuler lack lateral mobility, can't get through the gap, adjust to the ball carrier quick enough to make the play (or they just get pushed back before they even hit the gap). One would think that the DL would get penetration, but this seemingly never happened in 2011. It did on occasion but was not consistent.

Personally, it seems like they don't have the DT to run the defense like Bo wants. Steinkuler(?) was a OT for heavens sake!! Never looked like a DT to me.

Shooting the gaps are the only reason I can think to surrender a yard each play, but I could be wrong.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Husker View Post
    This has been mentioned off and on during the season, but I will suggest this as a possibility:

They want the DT to fire through the gap and be disruptive. The ends to clean up. If the DTs are closer to the line, the OL can get their hands on the them to hold at the point of engagement. Since they are undersized, they will be be pushed back quicker than lining a yard off. In theory, the ball is snapped and DL shoots through a gap before the OL can grab the jersey and allows the DL to direct the OL where they want the play to go.

One of the main problems with the strategy is Crick and Steinkuler lack lateral mobility, can't get through the gap, adjust to the ball carrier quick enough to make the play (or they just get pushed back before they even hit the gap). One would think that the DL would get penetration, but this seemingly never happened in 2011. It did on occasion but was not consistent.

Personally, it seems like they don't have the DT to run the defense like Bo wants. Steinkuler(?) was a OT for heavens sake!! Never looked like a DT to me.

Shooting the gaps are the only reason I can think to surrender a yard each play, but I could be wrong.
    Being further away from a gap makes it easier for the offensive linemen to keep him from penetrating that gap. It will take them one step longer to get into that gap, so how would that be an advantage?

I haven't heard a good explanation yet for having the DL line up a yard off the LOS.

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Lincoln Nebraska
    My wife screamed at the tv about this issue all season - I didn't mind as it deflected her from her usual target of disdain !!!
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Husker View Post

Wrong.....I said in post 3 why they do it. We wouldn't be further from something if we are trying to shoot a gap. Steinkuhler is a DT because Bo needed to help the defense that was ranked last in the country so you put your bst guys on defense. Dean was pretty unhappy when his son chose to go to that side of the ball fwiw. Anyways, he will be drafted as an OT so he will end up on his best side of the ball in the end.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Wrong.....I said in post 3 why they do it. We wouldn't be further from something if we are trying to shoot a gap. Steinkuhler is a DT because Bo needed to help the defense that was ranked last in the country so you put your bst guys on defense. Dean was pretty unhappy when his son chose to go to that side of the ball fwiw. Anyways, he will be drafted as an OT so he will end up on his best side of the ball in the end.
    I can't imagine that waiting to see an offensive lineman's first step is worth giving up a yard. Players (even linemen) move too fast. As a former offensive lineman, I would have loved to see a DT or NG lined up a yard away from me. Allows me to get where I want to go much easier.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I can't imagine that waiting to see an offensive lineman's first step is worth giving up a yard. Players (even linemen) move too fast. As a former offensive lineman, I would have loved to see a DT or NG lined up a yard away from me. Allows me to get where I want to go much easier.
    Well, we aren't exactly "waiting to see the first step". In our normal technique (not lined up yd off ball) we try fighting across the face of where the blocker is coming from or shoot the gap. When we are playing 2 gap (most of the time) we still fire off, but now we can read the first step while we are moving as well as fight across the face, just gives us another way to "read" the play. I hear what you are saying, but I bet you wouldn't have loved to see Suh or Crick being the ones lined up in that technique against you.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Well, we aren't exactly "waiting to see the first step". In our normal technique (not lined up yd off ball) we try fighting across the face of where the blocker is coming from or shoot the gap. When we are playing 2 gap (most of the time) we still fire off, but now we can read the first step while we are moving as well as fight across the face, just gives us another way to "read" the play. I hear what you are saying, but I bet you wouldn't have loved to see Suh or Crick being the ones lined up in that technique against you.
    I wouldn't want to see either one lined up across from me in any situation.

Red Shirt

SSO--If Steinkuhler is not drafted as a DT (which I suspect he will not unless the new DL changes the techniques and schemes) then he will not be drafted as an OT. No pro team is going to waste that draft. He may be invited to try-out as an offensive lineman but he sure won't be drafted.

With our poor OL performance, I don't blame Dean S for being upset with the move to put his son on the DL. #55 would have been a difference maker on the OL vs. holding a place on the DL.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by mohuskerblackshirt View Post
    SSO--If Steinkuhler is not drafted as a DT (which I suspect he will not unless the new DL changes the techniques and schemes) then he will not be drafted as an OT. No pro team is going to waste that draft. He may be invited to try-out as an offensive lineman but he sure won't be drafted.

With our poor OL performance, I don't blame Dean S for being upset with the move to put his son on the DL. #55 would have been a difference maker on the OL vs. holding a place on the DL.
    He will get drafted one way or the other so there will be no way to track whether you are right or wrong on this. Either someone will take him as a DT/DE in the draft or someone will take him as an OT....he projects as a better OT so the NFL will eventually get him there in my opinion.