Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51

Thread: 2012 Scholarship Numbers

  1. #16
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Cross is N
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  2. #17
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    J Williams done.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  3. #18
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    I'll try to keep this up to date today.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  4. #19
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Everything should be up to date and numbers correct.

    2 scholarships left

    CJax is the only question mark. If we had to oversign by 1, he would be the one oversignee.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  5. #20
    Guest

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kearney, NE
    Posts
    742
    Question then FLAS...

    We have scholarships left, correct? If so, then how would C. Jax be an over-sign? Or are you just guessing that the two scholarships will be awarded to walk-ons and that if he qualifies, CJ would then be an over-sign. Despite the fact that not counted in your numbers are those scholarships that are being vacated by the two early grads and the one dismissed player. Because those vacancies occurred / are occurring to late for them to be counted in this recruiting cycle.

    I'm also wondering, given the ultra strict conference rules, does it not just make sense to always tell the conference office every year that you are going to over-sign be the maximum allowed number (3?) just so you can if you need to. Then, given the rules, only actually do it in these cases where you can easily justify doing so (because the conference makes you jump through hoops to prove you're not being dirty) because you have early grads or other situations of justified early endings to scholarships, so you're not accused of forcing people out?

  6. #21
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Quote Originally Posted by nebstud2001 View Post
    Question then FLAS...

    We have scholarships left, correct? If so, then how would C. Jax be an over-sign? Or are you just guessing that the two scholarships will be awarded to walk-ons and that if he qualifies, CJ would then be an over-sign. Despite the fact that not counted in your numbers are those scholarships that are being vacated by the two early grads and the one dismissed player. Because those vacancies occurred / are occurring to late for them to be counted in this recruiting cycle.

    I'm also wondering, given the ultra strict conference rules, does it not just make sense to always tell the conference office every year that you are going to over-sign be the maximum allowed number (3?) just so you can if you need to. Then, given the rules, only actually do it in these cases where you can easily justify doing so (because the conference makes you jump through hoops to prove you're not being dirty) because you have early grads or other situations of justified early endings to scholarships, so you're not accused of forcing people out?
    Oversigning has nothing to do with how many scholarships are available. How many graduating seniors, JR's leaving early for NFL, and open scholarships you have at the end of the season that determines recruiting budget. We had 14 seniors and 2-3 open scholarships. Our recruiting budget is therefore 16-17 (since I have not been able to determine whether Marrow was on scholarship this past semester).

    Anything over that "budget" is an oversigning situation. Seisay should count against 2011 class, so remove him from the equation of this year's class. (Minnesota signed 31 players, including 6 mid-term jucos that count against last year's class, by the way) That means we have 16 players in this class RIGHT NOW. If our budget was 16, we are OK. If it's 17, we are one under right now.

    All leaving players (Kerr, Okafor, Ward, Williams) have been accounted for, and that's WHY we have two extra scholarships at this point. Seisay is already on campus and counted in the scholarship numbers as well. I am counting Marrow as being on scholarship in 2012, by the way.

    You have to notify the Big 10 office AND you have to tell them WHO is being oversigned. (If one of those players goes elsewhere, you can substitute another.) So, I'm not sure you can just tell the Big10 office you want to oversign 3 and leave it at that.

    So, here is a hypothetical. Let's say our recruiting budget was 16 this year. We signed 17 players, Seisay counts against 2011, so we are at 16 and we have two schollies available. We know CJax is out there, so we notified the Big 10 of our intent to use the oversigning exemption. We list CJax as the oversignee. There's talk that there may be another one or two out there, so we tell them we are also anticipating oversigning Player X and Player Y also. Player X doesn't qualify. Player Y shows up, CJax qualifies. We have "oversigned" by 2, but we are net zero on available scholarships until some open up.

    Clear enough?

    (this is all from what I understand thus far, so no absolute guarantee of accuracy)
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  7. #22
    The way I interpret things is that we could've signed 21 or 22 (pending on the timelines of Williams) this year.

    We have to make a good faith estimate of sorts to the Big 10 on or before signing day of what will be available.

    We were down 1 from last class with Jackson not making it. Less 14 seniors and less Okafor, Ward and Kerr and we are down to 67 spots accounted for, for next year. That means we can sign the 18 to get to the 85 and an additional 3 on top of that.

    If Jackson were to make it, he'd obviously count in that group of 21.

    We could conceivably sign 4, possibly 5 more guys if we saw fit.

  8. #23
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    The way I interpret things is that we could've signed 21 or 22 (pending on the timelines of Williams) this year.

    We have to make a good faith estimate of sorts to the Big 10 on or before signing day of what will be available.

    We were down 1 from last class with Jackson not making it. Less 14 seniors and less Okafor, Ward and Kerr and we are down to 67 spots accounted for, for next year. That means we can sign the 18 to get to the 85 and an additional 3 on top of that.

    If Jackson were to make it, he'd obviously count in that group of 21.

    We could conceivably sign 4, possibly 5 more guys if we saw fit.
    I don't agree, unless we had signed more midterm JUCO's.

    82 or 83 on scholarship at end of season, 14 seniors. There's your recruiting budget. 16 or 17 with the option to oversign by 3.


    Previous class NQ's are irrelevant unless we are trying to count guys backward. We had as many as 5-6 slots left from memory for last year and only one MT JUCO in Seisay. He doesn't count against 2012 class budget, nor would have any other mid- term guys. Okafor and Ward do not add to the recruiting budget, as they were on scholarship at end of season, not graduating or exhausting eligibility, and still are on scholarship until they graduate in May. Kerr already was counted, since he wasn't with the team at the end of the semester and counted in the number below 85 we were sitting at in Dec.

    Okafor and Ward do open 2 schollies for this class, which was the reason it was announced early, I suspect. As it stands, we haven't filled those yet. We signed 16 that count against this class. We either have one remaining budget slot open, or non, plus any oversigns, which will be easily justified by Okafor/Ward.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    I don't agree, unless we had signed more midterm JUCO's.

    82 or 83 on scholarship at end of season, 14 seniors. There's your recruiting budget. 16 or 17 with the option to oversign by 3.


    Previous class NQ's are irrelevant unless we are trying to count guys backward. We had as many as 5-6 slots left from memory for last year and only one MT JUCO in Seisay. He doesn't count against 2012 class budget, nor would have any other mid- term guys. Okafor and Ward do not add to the recruiting budget, as they were on scholarship at end of season, not graduating or exhausting eligibility, and still are on scholarship until they graduate in May. Kerr already was counted, since he wasn't with the team at the end of the semester and counted in the number below 85 we were sitting at in Nov.

    Okafor and Ward do open 2 schollies for this class, which was the reason it was announced early, I suspect. As it stands, we haven't filled those yet. We signed 16 that count against this class. We either have one remaining budget slot open, or non, plus any oversigns, which will be easily justified by Okafor/Ward.
    Okafor and Ward increase the budget. The number of spots is forecasted for the next year, not as of signing day.


    http://sports.omaha.com/2012/02/01/r...les-refresher/

  10. #25
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    Okafor and Ward increase the budget. The number of spots is forecasted for the next year, not as of signing day.


    http://sports.omaha.com/2012/02/01/r...les-refresher/
    It sure would have helped if you would posted that before I went back through the entire rundown. I had not seen that article, and nothing in any of the rundowns posted to date mentioned anything about making a 'good faith assessment' that included the spring semester.

    I added this to the oversignng primer thread.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  11. #26
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    Okafor and Ward increase the budget. The number of spots is forecasted for the next year, not as of signing day.


    http://sports.omaha.com/2012/02/01/r...les-refresher/
    And thank you, btw. I updated our recruiting budget to include the 2 early grads and Williams...he was gone before signing day, I think. I may be 1-2 off, but it's closer now.

    Added J McCrae as a possible signee. CJax looking more likely. We have two schollies left. I think we end up at 18 signees counting Zaire against last year's class. I think we would have at least one budget slot left.

    Now the numbers balance perfectly if Marrow's on schollie. I gotta think he is until I see something that contradicts it. Any defections should open up schollies for one more possible late signee or deserving walk-ons.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  12. #27
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    K Cooper to transfer, added commit #2
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  13. #28

  14. #29
    God I admire you.
    FeelLikeAStranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Hardscratch Springs
    Posts
    27,875
    Sorry for no updates recently-been busy. I had a bunch of edits done, I thought, but my iPad wiped them out everytime I went back and forth to the roster page. D'oh!!
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10


  15. #30
    All American

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,738
    Subtract Dijon Washington.

    http://huskerextra.com/article_4880c...18c668c80.html

    Never really could get into the mix, even at our most pressing position--FS.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •