Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: State of the Program

  1. #1
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,702

    State of the Program

    What is the current state of the program? I have no idea after watching this very strange season. The way the Huskers collapsed in several games this year, just makes me believe that something is missing. Not sure what it is. Help Husker Nation...help me understand

  2. #2
    Big Red Fan!!!

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,318
    From what I can tell... they are in the state of Nebraska. Sorry, had to say that.

  3. #3
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,702
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFanz View Post
    From what I can tell... they are in the state of Nebraska. Sorry, had to say that.
    Well, that is a good start...I think they were in Nebraska for the 2nd half today

  4. #4
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    6,641
    The optimist in me thinks this year was a combination of being in a new league with a different style combined with a new OC and massive losses to the NFL on the defense.

    The pessimist in me thinks this might be indicitive of poor recruiting combined with a coach that can't teach his team to be disciplined and this is what we will see more of.

    Overly simplistic analysis I'm sure and I can see the arguments on either side.

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan


  5. #5
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,551
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    The optimist in me thinks this year was a combination of being in a new league with a different style combined with a new OC and massive losses to the NFL on the defense.

    The pessimist in me thinks this might be indicitive of poor recruiting combined with a coach that can't teach his team to be disciplined and this is what we will see more of.

    Overly simplistic analysis I'm sure and I can see the arguments on either side.
    In terms of even handed "simplistic" analysis, I'd say you fairly presented the sides.

    I obviously lean toward things are solid and will improve. I don't even really understand those who are disenchanted and/or pessimistic.

    Anyway, I don't know if "simplistic" is a fair term... I'd say "uninformed" because we don't really have much more than saturday performances on which to base our opponents. That's not much.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  6. #6
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    6,641
    Biggest concerns for me going into next year:
    • Continued lack of dsicipline (seems to be a trait), that needs to get better
    • QB play - we can all agree it needs to improve I would think
    • dline - they appear slow and genrally don't get much pressure, not very good against the run
    Hopefully we have some young studs that step up and hopefully this years recruiting class is fruitful.

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan


  7. #7
    Red Shirt
    HuskerGene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of North Omaha
    Posts
    1,579
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Biggest concerns for me going into next year:
    • Continued lack of dsicipline (seems to be a trait), that needs to get better
    • QB play - we can all agree it needs to improve I would think
    • dline - they appear slow and genrally don't get much pressure, not very good against the run
    Hopefully we have some young studs that step up and hopefully this years recruiting class is fruitful.
    Great insight. I agree but might add that losing Crick really hurt. We didn't stop the run much when he went out. That said, Crick still is not returning so D-Line needs to improve.

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    southeast Kansas
    Posts
    764
    about where it was 20 years ago coming off a loss in the Citrus Bowl to Georgia Tech. ironic isnt it, hope we go on a run like we did then, we need a QB of Frazier's abilitity. Also we need SPEED at every position. We only lose 12 seniors off the depth chart, only 7 starters--but David and Dennard will be hard to replace as will Caputo, Hardwick, and Marcell Jones.

  9. #9
    Red Shirt
    HuskerGene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South of North Omaha
    Posts
    1,579
    Feb. 2nd will be when we really know where we are. A lot of big names could come our way. Add that to our young team & we could be awesome, maybe as soon as next year.

  10. #10
    Travel Squad
    redwinghusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,699
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    The optimist in me thinks this year was a combination of being in a new league with a different style combined with a new OC and massive losses to the NFL on the defense.

    The pessimist in me thinks this might be indicitive of poor recruiting combined with a coach that can't teach his team to be disciplined and this is what we will see more of.

    Overly simplistic analysis I'm sure and I can see the arguments on either side.
    Not to mention leaving an existing league and everyone gunning for you and joining a new league with all but 1 new team on your schedule and everyone gunning for you.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

  11. #11
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,891
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    What is the current state of the program? I have no idea after watching this very strange season. The way the Huskers collapsed in several games this year, just makes me believe that something is missing. Not sure what it is. Help Husker Nation...help me understand
    The current state of the program is that we consistently are not one of the 25 best teams in the country. Some posters are quite satisfied with being at that level...they will tell you how we are better than we were under BC, they are right about that...but we are not remotely close to were we need to be. And "no," I'm not implying that we should always win the NC or go 60-3 during each 5 year stretch. This pessimists, think it impossible to ever compete for championships in Lincoln...they are wrong, but seem HELLBENT on a self fulfilling prophecy by insisting we keep a good-to-medicre HC employed in Lincoln. It was understandable when it was FS, a Husker legend...but all the love for this guy is baffling.

  12. #12
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    The current state of the program is that we consistently are not one of the 25 best teams in the country. Some posters are quite satisfied with being at that level...they will tell you how we are better than we were under BC, they are right about that...but we are not remotely close to were we need to be. And "no," I'm not implying that we should always win the NC or go 60-3 during each 5 year stretch. This pessimists, think it impossible to ever compete for championships in Lincoln...they are wrong, but seem HELLBENT on a self fulfilling prophecy by insisting we keep a good-to-medicre HC employed in Lincoln. It was understandable when it was FS, a Husker legend...but all the love for this guy is baffling.
    Honestly, how could you support bc to the bitter end (and beyond) but can't muster up even a little patience for Bo and Co?
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  13. #13
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,196
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Honestly, how could you support bc to the bitter end (and beyond) but can't muster up even a little patience for Bo and Co?
    He said we are better off than when we had Callahan, where does that statement = support?

  14. #14
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17,551
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    He said we are better off than when we had Callahan, where does that statement = support?
    I don't know how closely you followed the board, but gfoa all was a calllllly/pedey pumper to the end (and now a TO/Bo hater). he used to talk all the time about how bc was better than solich. at least he's woken from one of his delusions.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  15. #15
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Biggest concerns for me going into next year:
    • Continued lack of dsicipline (seems to be a trait), that needs to get better
    • QB play - we can all agree it needs to improve I would think
    • dline - they appear slow and genrally don't get much pressure, not very good against the run
    Hopefully we have some young studs that step up and hopefully this years recruiting class is fruitful.
    At his press conference, Bo responded to a question regarding what a team can do to try and get momentum back once it shifts to the other team. Bo seemed perplexed by the question and ultimately responded by saying "they just have to execute". He went on to say something like "we can't do it for them".

    Given that answer, I would add to your list above the fact that Bo, for whatever reason, thought that the question was dumb. In reality, this was a very good question. This is not a question of X's and O's as Bo suggested. It is instead a question of leadership, conviction, and believing in one's teammates and one's self.

    I would have thought that Bo, of all people, would understand the importance of emotion in this game. But his answer seems to suggest that he may have lost sight of it.

    Oh, and by the way, on a separate issue, let's add strength and conditioning to our "wish list" for next season. All season long, the offensive line has been blasted back so fast that many plays are doomed from the start. The defensive line, even with Crick, couldn't get pressure on opposing QB's. Is there a pattern there, or am I imagining it?

  16. #16
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,196
    oh ok...yeah I guess that would make sense...Callahan should be the one universal uniting point on this board

  17. #17
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    The current state of the program is that we consistently are not one of the 25 best teams in the country. Some posters are quite satisfied with being at that level...they will tell you how we are better than we were under BC, they are right about that...but we are not remotely close to were we need to be. And "no," I'm not implying that we should always win the NC or go 60-3 during each 5 year stretch. This pessimists, think it impossible to ever compete for championships in Lincoln...they are wrong, but seem HELLBENT on a self fulfilling prophecy by insisting we keep a good-to-medicre HC employed in Lincoln. It was understandable when it was FS, a Husker legend...but all the love for this guy is baffling.
    I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment.

    Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accepte the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.

  18. #18
    Travel Squad
    redwinghusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Captkenny View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment.

    Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accept the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.
    +1.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

  19. #19
    Starter
    Greatest Fan of All's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    13,891
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Honestly, how could you support bc to the bitter end (and beyond) but can't muster up even a little patience for Bo and Co?
    Look...I don't appreciate your continual stalking and lying about me and mischaracterising my opinions...I've told you this before. I gave Bo my full support until this year...he has proven to me that he is not capable. On top of that, his sideline antics and treatment of fans, press and players is an embarrassment to NU. I gave BC my support even though I thought FS (one of my childhood hero's) should have been given another year. BC lost my support when he lost the team in early 2007...this equated essentially to the same timeframe as most NU fans. Very few fans foresaw the wheels falling off the program coming off the 2005 and 2006 seasons, which were very "Bo-like" from a results perspective. But once you know the coach is failing...you need to make a change. Bo's been given more time than necessary to prove himself. I can understand one more year of patience...but in 2012 with lots of returning starters, he needs to win a championship or, at a minimum, improve the team's overall record. Four losses doesn't cut it.

  20. #20
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Occupying HuskerMAX
    Posts
    9,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Captkenny View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else. But my desire to keep this "good to mediocre coach" in Lincoln is that he is winning 9+ games a year. If this school fires another head coach with that kind of record, we may never recover. I certainly would think it might be difficult to get a top coach to submit his resume in that environment.

    Unless you have a specific name who is guaranteed to accepte the position, there really is nothing to do but see what happens down the road. And don't forget, just because a coach may be good at one school doesn't guarantee success if he comes to coach at NU.
    Amen, Kenny!! Especially a young coach with potential. The greater risk here is in over-reacting and assuming that there will be no improvement. Those that think we could get Chris Petersen if we fire a 9-4 young, respected coach are friggin' crazy.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •