Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Playoff Op-Ed From Someone Who Sets the Right Priorities

  1. #1
    All Big 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    18,620

    Playoff Op-Ed From Someone Who Sets the Right Priorities

    (CNN) -- When it comes to the horror of bringing a playoff system to the big boys of college football, there are several things for members of the Knee-Jerk Society of America to think about.The problem is, they don't wish to think. They prefer emotion.
    Mostly, they fume over the current system that chooses a national champion through a combination of polls and computers with the so-called Bowl Championship Series. They say a playoff system is the best way to determine a champion on the field, and they are correct. But only if you ignore things you have to ... think about.
    For instance: Name those screaming the loudest about a playoff system for the Alabamas, the Ohio States and the Southern Californias.
    The fans? Yep, because they are, well, fans.
    The coaches? Uh-huh. In their minds, a playoff system gives them the chance to add millions to their millions.
    The media? Definitely. They have airwaves, cyberspace and newsprint to fill, and if you're ESPN or the networks, a playoff system gives you the chance to add billions to your billions.
    Guess who gets ignored? The players.

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/opinio...ml?hpt=hp_abar

  2. #2
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,510
    Eh, players have to work through a playoff in every other level of college football. They seem to do just fine.

  3. #3
    Scout Team
    DuckTownHusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    4,399
    I see both sides of the argument. The writer presents a solid argument regarding the impact to education by hosting more bowl games. But at the same time, there are countless other NCAA sports that have longer seasons than football - plus those kids don't get the possible benefit of being an NFL pick.

    A small playoff of 4 teams (or a plus-one) could easily be staged AFTER semester finals are over. Most college kids I know are on break from around Christmas through about January 10-15. That's plenty of time for 1 or 2 extra games.
    5 National Titles. 9 Undefeated Seasons. 50 Bowl Appearances. 43 Conference Championships. 10 Division Titles.

    3 Heisman Winners. 54 Consensus All-Americans. 28 Major Award Winners. 23 College Football Hall of Famers.

    There is No Place Like Nebraska.


  4. #4
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    I see both sides of the argument. The writer presents a solid argument regarding the impact to education by hosting more bowl games. But at the same time, there are countless other NCAA sports that have longer seasons than football - plus those kids don't get the possible benefit of being an NFL pick.

    A small playoff of 4 teams (or a plus-one) could easily be staged AFTER semester finals are over. Most college kids I know are on break from around Christmas through about January 10-15. That's plenty of time for 1 or 2 extra games.
    I'll never understand the arguement that a football playoff would put a strain on players, because they probably have it best, when it comes to college athletes. Few football players miss class during the week, since very few teams play games other than on Saturday, and the post season takes place over winter break. It really can't work out better for football players and their academics.

  5. #5
    Varsity
    coherbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10,419
    does the national media continually hound the lower division players?

    anyone play as mount union on Xbox 12?

    big time college Hoops has some of the worst graduation rates amongst college sports, likely tough to focus on homework for the entire month of March.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,510
    Quote Originally Posted by coherbie View Post
    does the national media continually hound the lower division players?

    anyone play as mount union on Xbox 12?

    big time college Hoops has some of the worst graduation rates amongst college sports, likely tough to focus on homework for the entire month of March.
    So post game press confereces are too much for players ot handle? And we're talking about only a handful of players on a handful of schools.

  7. #7
    Varsity
    coherbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10,419
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    So post game press confereces are too much for players ot handle? And we're talking about only a handful of players on a handful of schools.
    well if that's the only player time commitment you acknowledge, then sure

  8. #8
    Junior Varsity
    MyBraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    behind enemy lines in Boulder County
    Posts
    6,574
    The 100+ year-old tradition of bowls is hard to break. We were all raised to watch them on 1 Jan. I think that overcoming the tradition is the hardest barrier to a genuine playoff system.

    Some today say that if we go to a playoff, so many players from all the lower teams will get no "reward" in the post-season. But, looking around, I don't see a single other intercollegiate sport where the athletes spend a week in a sunny clime, riding roller coasters and petting whales. In my mind, there is no God-given right to a "post-season reward." About the income to the schools, the article circulating here several weeks ago blew a huge hole in that idea.

    As Porkchop said, other levels of football do fine with their playoff system and don't damage academics.

    The Bowl Gods are a formidable foe. We need someone in the NCAA to show a little guts and reveal the system for what it is and force a change. The Rose Bowl initiated the whole tradition in 1902, with another fourteen years passing before it became annual. It was organized by the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce to promote SoCal tourism, plain and simple. Nothing much has changed.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

  9. #9
    Recruit

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Del Rio, TX/Papillion, NE
    Posts
    679
    I like the bowls, they make College Football different than pro-football, FCS-football and everything else. They make the regular season more fun by making the whole thing one manic playoff, where everyone is trying to stay alive. I would personally oppose any playoff system that diminished the manic nature of the regular season or further diminished the relevance of the bowl games.

  10. #10
    Big Red Fan!!!

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,454
    Hmmmm... If a player had an option to play a game or not to. I'm sure 99.99999% would want to play a game.

  11. #11
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New Fairfield, CT
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorageHusker View Post
    I like the bowls, they make College Football different than pro-football, FCS-football and everything else. They make the regular season more fun by making the whole thing one manic playoff, where everyone is trying to stay alive. I would personally oppose any playoff system that diminished the manic nature of the regular season or further diminished the relevance of the bowl games.
    There is no reason there can't be a playoff that still emphasizes the importance of the regular season. Seed the teams using the BCS formula and play all the games except the title game at home site of higher seed...the author's concerns about empty stadiums is moot.

    If the notion of "every game counts" in the regular season EVER had any credence it was destroyed this year by this sham of a rematch. The system is a joke and it has got to be fixed.

    Also, why do playoff opponents insist that a playoff means the death of the bowls?? If you have an 8-team tournament you still have 60+ teams this year that get their postseason reward of a bowl. It's nonsense.

  12. #12
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,187
    you would still have 85% of the bowls even with a playoff

  13. #13
    5-Star Recruit
    HuskerJAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Round Lake, IL
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by CTBugeater View Post
    There is no reason there can't be a playoff that still emphasizes the importance of the regular season. Seed the teams using the BCS formula and play all the games except the title game at home site of higher seed...the author's concerns about empty stadiums is moot.

    If the notion of "every game counts" in the regular season EVER had any credence it was destroyed this year by this sham of a rematch. The system is a joke and it has got to be fixed.

    Also, why do playoff opponents insist that a playoff means the death of the bowls?? If you have an 8-team tournament you still have 60+ teams this year that get their postseason reward of a bowl. It's nonsense.
    Spot on! Great post.
    I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
    Earl Warren

    I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband.
    Thurgood Marshall

  14. #14
    Junior Varsity
    MyBraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    behind enemy lines in Boulder County
    Posts
    6,574
    Quote Originally Posted by CTBugeater View Post
    Also, why do playoff opponents insist that a playoff means the death of the bowls?? If you have an 8-team tournament you still have 60+ teams this year that get their postseason reward of a bowl. It's nonsense.
    I am NOT a playoff opponent, but it is NOT nonsense if you are thinking of the current bowls located in warmer climes. Significant numbers of fans can't travel great distances every week for 3 or 4 weeks. Football playoffs in all other divisions have preliminary rounds staged at the higher seeded team's home field. If you want to call those "bowls", then you can still have "bowls". The other divisions may have one big true "bowl" at the end, but that's it.

    A system with preliminary games in participating teams' stadiums would certainly rake in far more money for everyone, and the TV revenue would be off the chart. But in the end only the players from the final two teams would get to ride roller coasters and pet killer whales.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

  15. #15
    5-Star Recruit
    HuskerJAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Round Lake, IL
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    I am NOT a playoff opponent, but it is NOT nonsense if you are thinking of the current bowls located in warmer climes. Significant numbers of fans can't travel great distances every week for 3 or 4 weeks. Football playoffs in all other divisions have preliminary rounds staged at the higher seeded team's home field. If you want to call those "bowls", then you can still have "bowls". The other divisions may have one big true "bowl" at the end, but that's it.

    A system with preliminary games in participating teams' stadiums would certainly rake in far more money for everyone, and the TV revenue would be off the chart. But in the end only the players from the final two teams would get to ride roller coasters and pet killer whales.
    That's not true. I believe most people proposing a playoff system agree that the bowls could continue to operate. There were 30+ bowls this year. If you take eight teams out of the bowl picture, that still leaves about 60 teams to participate in 30, or so, bowl games. The only ones not in the bowls would be the playoff teams. Even then, many suggestions are to include the major bowls, on some form of rotating schedule, for the championship game, or semis and championship games.
    I always turn to the sports pages first, which records people's accomplishments. The front page has nothing but man's failures.
    Earl Warren

    I expect to die at 110, shot by a jealous husband.
    Thurgood Marshall







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •