Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo doing a little flirting?

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Quote Originally Posted by Big "D"zasker View Post
    I loved Frank as much as anyone and dearly wanted him to succeed, but anyone who spends 19 years as an assistant at one place and then has a constant 'deer in the headlights' look on his face when he takes over a position where nothing should surprise him is in over his head...period.
    Guenther? Is that you?

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMacHusker View Post
    Well there you go, that justifies it all....let's do some serious player bashing here. Two wrongs always make a right.

coincidence?
    Sorry old sport, I thought you knew

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMacHusker View Post
    Well there you go, that justifies it all....let's do some serious player bashing here. Two wrongs always make a right.
    I think my links above just show that a few fans are hyper-sensitive.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Off the top of my head, Florida had it out for Zook from the start, and they didn't really find Chris Leak all that special of a player. OU treated Gary Gibbs pretty poorly also, and I'm sure there were some players during Gibbs' tenure at OU that were unfairly treated by fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Even more now that I've had time to think.

I'm sure there are some at Tennessee who wonder if they did the right thing in running Fulmer out of town.

What about those at A&M? They are probably wishing for the days of R.C. Slocum.
    Fulmer, maybe, but he also had some off the field issues, iirc.

The rest of those comparisons are laughable.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

ďA stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    from dirks column today

http://sports.omaha.com/2011/12/20/d...-bites-dec-20/

Many fans are growing tired of the drama. Itís not just the uncertainty of the situation; itís doubt about whether Pelini is fully invested. Does he believe Nebraska is good enough for him?
    I know this is a tougher place to recruit than Bo would like. I know the scrutiny ó both from fans and media ó can be a nuisance. But the positives clearly outweigh the negatives at Nebraska. If Pelini canít see that, he probably needs to move on.
    This is the mercenary age of college football. Coaches donít dream of spending a career at one school. Ten years is a long tenure. I get that.
    But Pelini needs to recognize his environment. Nebraska fans want a coach who views the job as a destination, not a stepping stone.
    If Pelini stays, he needs to show Nebraska fans a little more love. Act like heís appreciative of the citizensí money, time and interest. Either way, Bo would be wise to win big next year. Because Husker fans donít forget this kind of stuff.
    If Bo is indeed looking at other jobs again this year, then I think Chatelain articulates pretty well how I would feel about it (my bolding).

Bo is a good coach, and I consider myself a sane supporter of him and the team. But more and more I get the feeling he isn't happy here. I get this impression by the way he interacts with the media, the comments he makes about the fans and the seemingly regular interest in other jobs.

I've read a lot about Nebraska's shortcomings in this thread: hard to recruit, not as "winning" as other programs, bad climate, etc., etc. Lots of reasons why there might be better jobs out there. I don't buy it.

Nebraska is the winningest program of the last 50 years, and fourth winningest all-time. In that time- the modern era- we have won five national championships (10%) and played for it all several additional times, had three Heisman winners and several runners-up, countless all-americans, academic all-americans, draft picks and superstars. We've accomplished all that without any major NCAA violations, with integrety we can be proud of, and in front of a sold-out stadium. We have equal to the best facilities in the country and are expanding our stadium and adding some more sports-research facilities. Our worst decade in 50 years was better than most programs' best, and included an appearance in the MNC game and a Heisman winner.

If you can't win here, you can't win.

I loved Frank as much as anyone and dearly wanted him to succeed, but anyone who spends 19 years as an assistant at one place and then has a constant 'deer in the headlights' look on his face when he takes over a position where nothing should surprise him is in over his head...period.
    Frank's face is a factor but what you need to consider is he was in the process of a change that he didn't get to fully implement. The looks went '98-'99: Blue Steel, '00-'01 Ferrari, '02-'03 Le Tigre. Frank had Magnum ready to go for 2004. But, we never got to see it. Steve Pederson took that away from us.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerator 5000 View Post
    Frank's face is a factor but what you need to consider is he was in the process of a change that he didn't get to fully implement. The looks went '98-'99: Blue Steel, '00-'01 Ferrari, '02-'03 Le Tigre. Frank had Magnum ready to go for 2004. But, we never got to see it. Steve Pederson took that away from us.
    I have considered that he was in the process of change. However, with Frank and Barney in charge of the offense that wasn't going to change, and personally I was less than impressed with their creativity and play calling ability. The biggest change happened on defense, and that was because Bo was doing what he does best (so far), and that's being a defensive coordinator. Even so, they still got blown out by the only real good teams they played in 2003, and had they played Okie St. later in the year who knows what would have happened?

Frank got screwed the way it went down (should have happened after 2002), but you'll still have a difficult time convincing me that he was on his way to taking the Huskers back to the promised land. Bottom line is we'll never know. Frank is gone and he's not ever coming back, so people need to get over it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post
    Yet, he NEVER had a "deer in the headlight" look.

The lowest tier of our fanbase created my little quips such as that to try to justify their stupidity in firing a pretty good Head Coach and further, promoting the disaster that followed, until the handwriting finally became legible that your pro coach was out the door.
    Kind of hard to see it when you're wearing coke bottle thick scarlet + cream = rose colored glasses all the time.

Anyone who doesn't agree with your myopic, devoid of creative thought process 'homeritis' is a lower tier fan, right?

This just in, he was 'your pro coach', too.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Kind of hard to see it when you're wearing coke bottle thick scarlet + cream = rose colored glasses all the time.
    Nah, I think you and a couple of fans who were rooting for the team to lose towards the end of the 2003 season were the only ones who "saw it."

All American
    Lloyd Carr. Phil Fulmer. Les Miles before this year.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    Nah, I think you and a couple of fans who were rooting for the team to lose towards the end of the 2003 season were the only ones who "saw it."
    Oh brother. Yeah, I was rooting for the Huskers to lose...are you serious? As I've had to explain many times previously, Frank was one of my favorite players growing up. I was ecstatic when TO named him as his successor. Still have a bump on my head from hitting the ceiling when Mike or Ralph Brown made the "Same bulldozer, different driver" comment. NO ONE wanted Frank to succeed more than I did. And you're going to have the gall to tell me that I wanted them to lose? That's when I know blind loyalty is a legitimate sickness.

Sorry, but I don't let any allegiance I have in this lifetime cloud the reality that my eyes and brain are registering. If you're happy with how they played in 2003 that's your business. Granted, it got even worse with his replacement, and I think that's one coach and AD we can all be in agreement about, but Frank wasn't the answer, either.

Once again, nothing would have made me happier than for Frank to still be here and having great success. But, he's bye bye in the car car, so y'all just need to move on with your lives.

Lloyd Carr is close, and I think most Michigan fans felt similar "firer's remorse" over the RichRod years.

But Carr isn't quite as extreme. He also shook up his staff after going 7-5 in 2005 (including a bowl loss to Nebraska of course). Then he had a good year in 2006, so far so good. But Michigan started out the season ranked #5 in 2007 and then had another pretty bad year, spending the majority of the season unranked after losing to a I-AA and getting blown out at home 39-7 by unranked Oregon (an actual blowout -- down by 25 at half -- to an actual mediocre team, very different from NU-KSU 2003).

And another difference, Carr wasn't "fired," he retired and took a job with the AD. This suggests he himself was ready to leave coaching, which is a major factor. If Carr had gone on to continue to coach, leading an FBS team to unprecedented heights, shattering records and cementing his rightful place in the pantheon of unquestioned coaching greatness, that'd be a better comparison.

Junior Varsity

Oh brother. Yeah, I was rooting for the Huskers to lose...are you serious? As I've had to explain many times previously, Frank was one of my favorite players growing up. I was ecstatic when TO named him as his successor. Still have a bump on my head from hitting the ceiling when Mike or Ralph Brown made the "Same bulldozer, different driver" comment. NO ONE wanted Frank to succeed more than I did. And you're going to have the gall to tell me that I wanted them to lose? That's when I know blind loyalty is a legitimate sickness.

Sorry, but I don't let any allegiance I have in this lifetime cloud the reality that my eyes and brain are registering. If you're happy with how they played in 2003 that's your business. Granted, it got even worse with his replacement, and I think that's one coach and AD we can all be in agreement about, but Frank wasn't the answer, either.
    So after seeing the huge disparity of coaching ability between Frank and Bill, and after seeing Pedey's fruitless 40 day search for the "answer" you're still holding onto your amateur sideline keyboard jockey opinion that we needed to somehow find a better "answer"?

If blind loyalty is a sickness, what do you call your total lack of hindsight?

Varsity
    ... If you're happy with how they played in 2003 that's your business.....
    & that's the sentiment that will keep any NU HC from settling in here long term.

In 2003, NU ran off their coach following a 9-3 season (& turned their back on BP.) In 2011, NU is once again 9-3 .... & pouting.

who knows what's up with this PSU flirtation, it is closer to BP's home (200 miles from Youngstown) & if an HC plays his cards right there, it could turn into a 45+ year gig?

Ironic how Husker Nation wants a HC who's grateful to be here, yet often Husker Nation doesn't seem grateful said HC is here.

Many Husker fans I talk with (& on the internets) just don't seem to acknowledge BP as a quality HC - there seems to be a lack of appreciation for what he's accomplished to date, instead focusing on what he hasn't accomplished... a distinct feeling of he's not there yet. Of course, for decades I remember the somber thanksgiving sentiment of Tom will never win the big one. I believe it's simply a matter of WHEN (not IF) "it" happens for Bo - with it being championships and national dominance - I just hope it happens here.

Sure hope Bo knows a lot of us are proud he's NU's coach and are in his corner ... however if these flirtations come to fruition or not, NU has no one to blame but itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDynasty View Post
    So after seeing the huge disparity of coaching ability between Frank and Bill, and after seeing Pedey's fruitless 40 day search for the "answer" you're still holding onto your amateur sideline keyboard jockey opinion that we needed to somehow find a better "answer"?

If blind loyalty is a sickness, what do you call your total lack of hindsight?
    Neither Frank nor Bill was the answer. I'm hoping the answer is in Lincoln right now...time will tell. My hindsight with Husker football goes back to 1962-63; how long have you been following them?