Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Bo doing a little flirting?

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Eater View Post
    Actually, win the bowl game and we will complete our third 10 win season in a row. And, be 3-1 in bowl games under Coach Pelini.

I'd take those kind of results for a long, long time. Why? Because winning at that level means this staff is doing something right. And, there's not many other staffs out there that are doing it. Remember, we are one of only 8 FCS programs to have 9 or more wins in the last four years.
    I asked about the 9 win scenario, because for some, that's Valhala for them....personally, I think the number should be 10...but more than that, I think we should be chasing titles...

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGene View Post
    This is an extremely valid question to all Husker fans.

I sincerely get the feeling that Husker Nation is slipping into this mode where the 9-win benchmark is good enough. ... I should qualify that with... run a clean program, get your 9 wins, and play in a secondary Florida Bowl....and all is good. I think that is nice for Wisconsin or Iowa, but not Nebraska. I expect more, but that's just me. Cue the "you're not being realistic..." crowd.
    Go find the coaches who have won 9+ games in each of the past 4 seasons. I'll give you a heads start with Patterson and Petersen. Good luck!

Husker Fan

I sincerely get the feeling that Husker Nation is slipping into this mode where the 9-win benchmark is good enough. ... I should qualify that with... run a clean program, get your 9 wins, and play in a secondary Florida Bowl....and all is good. I think that is nice for Wisconsin or Iowa, but not Nebraska. I expect more, but that's just me. Cue the "you're not being realistic..." crowd.
    I'd like to see winning the division at least 1/2 the time. More like 3 out of 5. Win 1/2 of the CCG that they play in. And play for a national title every 8-10 years.

Realistic I think. The main competition in the division will be michigan over the years. Other than them I don't see MSU, Iowa or NW being consistent threats. Certainly .500 in title games isn't a stretch. As for national title hopes. May be a stretch. I don't see the Big 10 getting to the point where a team with a loss is going to be able to make it to the BCS title game anytime soon so it's going to be tough for Nebraska to make it to the title game much, if at all. 13-0 is kinda hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    By the same token, you must feel that Bo isn't a very good fit either, because he hasn't exceeded (or arguably matched) FS's tenure.

This is what drives me insane. If Frank Solich and his results aren't good enough for NU, who the hell is???
    Bo's results are good enough because you get the sense that he's on an upward swing or at the very least holding steady, especially considering what he inherited. Frank, on the other hand, inherited a good situtation and was able to stay fairly steady until TO's recruits were gone, then you could sense that the program was starting to gravitate into mediocrity...his successor grabbed the wheel and successfully completed the descent.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I'd like to see winning the division at least 1/2 the time. More like 3 out of 5. Win 1/2 of the CCG that they play in. And play for a national title every 8-10 years.

Realistic I think. The main competition in the division will be michigan over the years. Other than them I don't see MSU, Iowa or NW being consistent threats. Certainly .500 in title games isn't a stretch. As for national title hopes. May be a stretch. I don't see the Big 10 getting to the point where a team with a loss is going to be able to make it to the BCS title game anytime soon so it's going to be tough for Nebraska to make it to the title game much, if at all. 13-0 is kinda hard to do.
    That's about how I feel about it. Nine wins are nice, but winning a title (Confernce, National Title) should be on the "to do" list too.

Husker Fan

That's about how I feel about it. Nine wins are nice, but winning a title (Confernce, National Title) should be on the "to do" list too.
    the "9 win" thing doesn't mean much just standing on it's own. There are years where 9 wins is an accomplishment and there are years where 9 wins is a grave disappointment.

Looking back at this year NU should already be to the 10 win mark. Losing to NW simply shouldn't have happened. So a 9 win regular season this year and 5-3 in conference and a 3rd place finish in the division is...well...not that great. Can't think of any wins that negate the NW loss.

I'm a charter member of the Unrealistic Expectation Society of America! We don't exactly see eye to eye with the Fifth Place Trophy and Participation Ribbon Society, though, cuz they're a bunch of hypersensitive know-it-alls.

SOFTCHARGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    Guenther? Is that you?
    "...I would rather lose out..." Husker fan to the bitter end. POY!

the "9 win" thing doesn't mean much just standing on it's own. There are years where 9 wins is an accomplishment and there are years where 9 wins is a grave disappointment.

Looking back at this year NU should already be to the 10 win mark. Losing to NW simply shouldn't have happened. So a 9 win regular season this year and 5-3 in conference and a 3rd place finish in the division is...well...not that great. Can't think of any wins that negate the NW loss.
    Very true. Sunshine pumpers get mad at me when I say 2003 fell into the grave disappointment category. You'll never get me to drink the Kool-Aid when Missouri and K-State are stomping the Huskers in the same year, especially when it followed a 7-7 campaign. Let me repeat - the 'banner year' that so many point to for Frank's turnaround found the Huskers being spanked by Missouri and K-State! Texas had a really good team that year, so that's excusable.

And, those things certainly are on this coaching staff's list. In four years, they've won or tied their division 3 of the 4 years. Played in two CCGs, losing the first by 1 and the other by 3.

Clearly to me, Bo and his staff are here to win championships and maintain a high level of success. Is there something in the last four years that leads you to believe this not to be true?

SOFTCHARGER
    Quote Originally Posted by Big "D"zasker View Post
    Very true. Sunshine pumpers get mad at me when I say 2003 fell into the grave disappointment category. You'll never get me to drink the Kool-Aid when Missouri and K-State are stomping the Huskers in the same year, especially when it followed a 7-7 campaign. Let me repeat - the 'banner year' that so many point to for Frank's turnaround found the Huskers being spanked by Missouri and K-State! Texas had a really good team that year, so that's excusable.
    K-State, huh? Frank's gotterdammerung. The last few weeks of that season nobody would have beaten them. Ask No.1 Oklahoma...

I'm a charter member of the Unrealistic Expectation Society of America! We don't exactly see eye to eye with the Fifth Place Trophy and Participation Ribbon Society, though, cuz they're a bunch of hypersensitive know-it-alls.
    There's no better way to make a coach feel at home then to heap unrealistic expectations on him every year. I'd certainly be happy working under those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by SOFTCHARGER View Post
    K-State, huh? Frank's gotterdammerung. The last few weeks of that season nobody would have beaten them. Ask No.1 Oklahoma...
    Ohio St. beat them in the bowl, unless that doesn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Eater View Post
    There's no better way to make a coach feel at home then to heap unrealistic expectations on him every year. I'd certainly be happy working under those conditions.
    Then that coach shouldn't accept jobs that pay 3+ million per year. Believe it or not, high and even unrealistic expectations get attached to people who make unrealistic type money for coaching a bunch of kids playing a game.

Junior Varsity

Not only do you have no hindsight, you have no memory.

Texas was unranked. KSU won the Big12 championship. They played OU who was being touted as the greatest team of all time. They beat OU much worse than they beat the Huskers. OU was out of it by halftime. The Huskers were one overthrown pass away from being tied at the start of the 4th quarter.

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by SOFTCHARGER View Post
    K-State, huh? Frank's gotterdammerung. The last few weeks of that season nobody would have beaten them.

Except for the team that DID beat them, right?
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.

Junior Varsity

But with hindsight (something I used to think everyone had, 20/20 no less!) look at how many quality players we lost. How many of the Huskers drafted last year have started in the NFL as rookies? Or even starred as rookies?

With that hindsight, I think it's a lot easier to say last year was a huge disappointment. This year, not so much.

Junior Varsity

Bo's results are good enough because you get the sense that he's on an upward swing or at the very least holding steady, especially considering what he inherited. Frank, on the other hand, inherited a good situtation and was able to stay fairly steady until TO's recruits were gone, then you could sense that the program was starting to gravitate into mediocrity...his successor grabbed the wheel and successfully completed the descent.

Red Shirt
    Hey, back to the point of the thread. I haven't read all six pages as it seems to be the typical arguments, but I would absolutely love for Bo to get offered one of these jobs.

Why? Because then he can come out and say "Yes, i was offered the job, but I love coaching for the University of Nebraska." Can you imagine the outpouring of support, the love-fest that would ensue from all fans and the media?

And if he took the job, so be it. Congrats. I'm sure TO has a list of up and comers to go after.
    "It's not the recruits that you miss on that hurt. The ones you get and do nothing for five years are the ones that hurt."
    --Gary Barnett

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDynasty View Post
    Not only do you have no hindsight, you have no memory.

Texas was unranked. KSU won the Big12 championship. They played OU who was being touted as the greatest team of all time. They beat OU much worse than they beat the Huskers. OU was out of it by halftime. The Huskers were one overthrown pass away from being tied at the start of the 4th quarter.

And the rest of the story:

KSU was a 4 loss team in 2003. They had a nice win streak towards the end of the season beating Colorado (5-7), Kansas (6-7), Baylor (3-9), and Iowa State (2-10) before drubbing Nebraska (10-3). After the NU win, they went on to defeat Missouri (8-5) and Oklahoma (12-2). They then closed the season losing to Ohio State (11-2).

That KSU season also contained a loss to Marshall at home.
    For the loser now will be later to win. For the times they are a-changin'.