Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricky Bobby would be proud

Hybrid View

Head Lackey

Ricky Bobby would be proud

"If you ain't first, you're last!"TM

(TMThat there is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of Ricky Bobby, Inc)

Coach had players burn third place trophies

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/fairfie...ies?hpt=us_bn4

The New Canaan Black football team finished its season in early November after losing in the semi-finals. A couple weeks later the players and coaches gathered at a teammate's home to celebrate the end of the season. However, the celebration took a different turn after parents presented the team with third place trophies and the coaches had the players go to a park and set the trophies on fire.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

pray for me ;)
    And then they went to Larry Lester's house and taped his buns together.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Junior Varsity

Did they get to keep their participation ribbons?

I don't see what the problem is. I think the coaches were sending an excellent message about sportsmanship and respect to those 8th graders. Especially since it was the parents who had gone out and spent money out of their pockets to have the trophies made. Celebrating their hard work during the season, respecting the parents' gift...I think this was a win-win.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by LutheranHusker View Post
    I don't see what the problem is. I think the coaches were sending an excellent message about sportsmanship and respect to those 8th graders. Especially since it was the parents who had gone out and spent money out of their pockets to have the trophies made. Celebrating their hard work during the season, respecting the parents' gift...I think this was a win-win.

Head Lackey
    Was there a consolation game after the semi-finals?

Maybe they burned them because they should have gotten 4th place instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    Was there a consolation game after the semi-finals?

Maybe they burned them because they should have gotten 4th place instead.
    Does this mean the Olympics should stop giving the Bronze... or recipients of the Bronze should throw them in the river.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker View Post
    Does this mean the Olympics should stop giving the Bronze... or recipients of the Bronze should throw them in the river.
    Nope. The losers themselves should be thrown in the river. And they should be given lead medallions instead of bronze to epitomize the weight of their shame they carry on their shoulders.

Husker Immortal
    It is all part of the wimpification process that we see in this country.
    "Statistics are like the bikini: what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital."

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post

Your a therapist/counselor right? Your reponse made me laugh. Maybe we should just chug on over to mamby pamby land...

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Yeoman View Post
    Your a therapist/counselor right? Your reponse made me laugh. Maybe we should just chug on over to mamby pamby land...

That guy is my hero.
    "Statistics are like the bikini: what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital."

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Is that like the posters on the football board that are happy with 9 wins a year.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Is that like the posters on the football board that are happy with 9 wins a year.
    Maybe, but to me it depends on what the losses look like. Two blowout losses and losing to an inferior team at home don't cut it.

Antediluvian Abrasiveness
    Apparently the losers weren't aware that there was a county wide burn ban in effect.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...+OUT+OF+OFFICE

Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    So...when in doubt check out Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    Apparently the losers weren't aware that there was a county wide burn ban in effect.
    Have you considered the air quality implications... trophies are now mostly made out of plastic and they probably gave off dioxins and some heavy metals when they were burned...

Starter

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of in the wide world of sports. These kids were 8th graders for pete's sake and the parents/community dug into to their own pockets to reward them for a great season. I note the coaches got fired for this stunt as well they should have. This Ricky Bobby mentality has no place in junior high or high school sports IMO.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Heathen
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of in the wide world of sports. These kids were 8th graders for pete's sake and the parents/community dug into to their own pockets to reward them for a great season. I note the coaches got fired for this stunt as well they should have. This Ricky Bobby mentality has no place in junior high or high school sports IMO.
    EVERYONES a winner! Pass/Pass on classes! No one looses!

And kids graduating today wonder why they are so out of touch with the real world.

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    EVERYONES a winner! Pass/Pass on classes! No one looses!

And kids graduating today wonder why they are so out of touch with the real world.
    Did you get the part where these were 8th grade football players?? Do you really believe that the "Ricky Bobby View" should be applied to junior high and high school sports?? It was once my priviledge and honor to coach amazing group of overachiever high school football players who fell in OT to the eventual state champs in our class. Our team ended up third in the state that season. At our annual football banquet a few weeks later, the parents and community presented the team with a very nice generic trophy recognizing their outstanding effort and high place in the final standings. That trophy still occupies a favored spot in the school's trophy case and I know for a fact it also occupies a fond spot in the hearts of players and coaches who made that dream season a reality.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Did you get the part where these were 8th grade football players?? Do you really believe that the "Ricky Bobby View" should be applied to junior high and high school sports?? It was once my priviledge and honor to coach amazing group of overachiever high school football players who fell in OT to the eventual state champs in our class. Our team ended up third in the state that season. At our annual football banquet a few weeks later, the parents and community presented the team with a very nice generic trophy recognizing their outstanding effort and high place in the final standings. That trophy still occupies a favored spot in the school's trophy case and I know for a fact it also occupies a fond spot in the hearts of players and coaches who made that dream season a reality.
    My trophy has a first name... it's T H I R D
    My trophy has a second name... it's P L A C E
    Warhorse likes this, ob-vi-ous-ly!
    If you have to ask, then cri-men-y....

Because he always likes to see...
    Rewards for me-di-oc-riii-ty.

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    My trophy has a first name... it's T H I R D
    My trophy has a second name... it's P L A C E
    Warhorse likes this, ob-vi-ous-ly!
    If you have to ask, then cri-men-y....

Because he always likes to see...
    Rewards for me-di-oc-riii-ty.
    Great now I will have that song stuck in my head all day...I blame you BRR...you...
    As government gets bigger people get smaller