Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Nebraska Can Beat Gamecocks

How Nebraska Can Beat Gamecocks

I have been asking people their opinions about Nebraska's Bowl game ever since it was announced. I can received many different explanations as to how the game will end up. Some think Nebraska is out of their league against S.C., and others think Nebraska is on a mission to prove last year's Holiday Bowl was a mistake.

I wrote an article on B/R after the game was announced. Here was my initial reaction to the game:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...pitol-one-bowl

Husker Magic
    F/C Bleacher Report

Husker Immortal
    Your score prediction is right at what I also expect for this game.....if we show up ready to play and we don't keep losing players to off the field stupidity.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

I hope the loss of Capuno doesn't hurt too bad. At least we have 3 weeks to get another Center ready.

Travel Squad

Who is Capuno?

Maybe West Texas Husker can come help provide some clarity to this thread

Intellectual Patriot
    He is the first guy with a hat on.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWICOsker View Post
    Who is Capuno?

Our Hispanic center
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Recruit
    F...U....D....G....E....

You know, like that kid in a Christmas Story when he spills the lug nuts? That's how I felt when I saw who started this thread.
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson

All Legend

Who says that Caputo will even be suspended? Yes, he got a (misdemeanor?) DUI for being in a parked car with a .103. A few years ago, that probably wouldn't have even been written up as over the legal limit. He screwed up, but should he and his team be penalized that severely?

I'll wait and see what Bo does when he has all the facts at hand.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Who says that Caputo will even be suspended? Yes, he got a (misdemeanor?) DUI for being in a parked car with a .103. A few years ago, that probably wouldn't have even been written up as over the legal limit. He screwed up, but should he and his team be penalized that severely?

Off topic, this thread is about Capuno.

The bleacherreport article states that the USC QB does not run much, it ain't Garcia. The new guy, Shaw, is a good runner and a good passer. Spurrier will carry a grudge, this will be some fun in Orlando.

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerMagic View Post
    How Nebraska Can Beat Gamecocks

My suggestion would be to score more points than they do.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post

To hell with what Bo says....what do YOU think should happen? We'll go with the fact that the kid blew a .103 and only that fact

My opinion...the kid should be suspended and YES the team should be penalized...gets the message across that this is about TEAM and not individuals...and that his teammates need to step up and take care of each other before this crap happens.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Feit View Post
    My suggestion would be to score more points than they do.
    But that's only one way to beat the Gamecocks...you need four more

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    To hell with what Bo says....what do YOU think should happen? We'll go with the fact that the kid blew a .103 and only that fact

My opinion...the kid should be suspended and YES the team should be penalized...gets the message across that this is about TEAM and not individuals...and that his teammates need to step up and take care of each other before this crap happens.
    Ok, continuing off topic, based on what I know at this point, no, I wouldn't suspend him. It's his last game of his football career. There are about a dozen ways to "get a message across" that don't mean suspending him.

However, I'm not going to say that one approach is better than another, especially considering I don't know if there are any aggravating or mitigating facts.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post

Has Caputo been charged yet? I have not heard that he has been. The last report that I am familiar with was the news on 10/11 last night. That little fact might have something to do with me passing judgement on whether he is suspended or not.

Scout Team
    Some of your points are Basic Football 101. Showing up ready to play is something that should be done before every game, not just a bowl. A lot of people point to South Carolina's 10-2 record and their SEC membership as rock solid proof that they'll beat Nebraska. But a close look reveals more.

The Gamecocks had 5 games decided by less than a touchdown this year; Nebraska had two. And while a win against a scrappy Georgia team looks impressive, some too-close wins over Florida and Vanderbilt do not. Further, South Carolina plays in the comparatively weaker SEC East, and their play against the more dominant SEC West was terrible. A blowout loss to Arkansas, a nail-biter against a poor Auburn team and a 2 point win over Mississippi State. Absent from the schedule were Alabama and LSU, which would have easily been two more losses.

Time for some stats. Stephen Garcia's gone and replacement Connor Shaw has done a respectable job. He's completing 65% of his throws and has completed 12 TD passes. As a unit, SC has rushed for almost 2400 yards (NU: 2700) and passed for another 2100 (NU: 2000). However, the receiving game has not always clicked for SC as they've had 15 interceptions stolen against Nebraska's 7. All things being equal, both teams are putting up similar total numbers on offense. South Carolina is probably split 60/40 towards the pass, while Nebraska is about 60/40 run.

Defensively, the Gamecocks fair well against the pass, but their inability to stop the run has been well documented. If Nebraska can get 100 yards from Burkhead and another 100 split between Martinez, the Freshmen and the Fullbacks, the Huskers will be in a great position to close out the game.

Special Teams might be the deciding factor in this one, which tips in Nebraska's favor. The Husker SPT unit has accounted for 99 points on the season, while South Carolina can only claim 67. If Maher can keep SC pinned deep, Nebraska will have a good chance at winning this game.

I don't think this will be a high scoring affair; if I had to pick today, I'd say that the score would look something like 24-17.

Recruit

As Sipple notes in his column today, Pelini suspended Baker and Thenarse for last year's bowl game due to their infractions.

The only silver lining is this is happening now (with 3 weeks of practice remaining) instead of a few days before hand. Gives Pensick more time to get ready.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWICOsker View Post
    Who is Capuno?

Post of the Month (maybe even the year).. It makes my eyes bleed that people take HuskerMagic serious with yet another 1000 word gobilly gook redundant run on sentences "article" on football that any of us could have said in 120 words or less. He makes WTH posts look like they came from william f buckley ....

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    Special Teams might be the deciding factor in this one, which tips in Nebraska's favor. The Husker SPT unit has accounted for 99 points on the season, while South Carolina can only claim 67. If Maher can keep SC pinned deep, Nebraska will have a good chance at winning this game.
    As long as the Special Teams play we had against Michigan doesn't show up again.

ToungeInCheek since 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Husker View Post
    Post of the Month (maybe even the year).. It makes my eyes bleed that people take HuskerMagic serious with yet another 1000 word gobilly gook redundant run on sentences "article" on football that any of us could have said in 120 words or less. He makes WTH posts look like they came from william f buckley ....
    Nice. lol

Or he should pay Cardinal to edit it for him.
    No koozies for you. - BigRedMax
    I'm the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — I want to know who the morons are. - Mark Cuban