Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This season will turn out one of 2 ways:

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    A new arena will help. A NCAA bid in this season would help too and lacking that, a splashy new head coach can also do the trick.

None of this is about finally seeing the light. It's about the prudent course of action at a given time.
    Not directed specifically at you jay, but what type of coach could NU bring in? I would imagine they aren't prying a coach from one of the "major" conferences away, so it would be back to the mid-majors, or a "hot-shot" assistant at a big name school. I don't know if NU can bring in the type of coach that would make heads turn around college bball.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Not directed specifically at you jay, but what type of coach could NU bring in? I would imagine they aren't prying a coach from one of the "major" conferences away, so it would be back to the mid-majors, or a "hot-shot" assistant at a big name school. I don't know if NU can bring in the type of coach that would make heads turn around college bball.
    I am glad I don't have to make that call.

I'd consider all potential candidates. I'd allocate 1.5 to 1.7 to the job and I'd offer a 5-10 million annuity bonus that is vested in years 10, 12 & 14.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    The fact of life is that you are correct in that they aren't prying a coach from another BCS type job. It will have to be hot-shot assistant/mid-major guy. So, no...it's not going to be a "splash" situation.

Hiring one of those guys is always a risk...but not a big one. What are you risking? Setting the program back? Not all that possible really.

Gregg marshall? Personally I think the guy is kind of a jerk but he's been successful at Wichita St. and Winthrop. The downside is he doesn't have assistant
    experience in the Big 10 type leagues. He's a good coach though.

Personally, I'd like to see either the "hot shot" assistant you mention or a Mid-Major coach with fairly recent BCS ties. My problem with guys like Sadler, Collier...maybe Marshall...Is they think they can bring their "system" to a league like the Big 12 or Big 10 and make it work because they pulled off an upset or two against those programs in their old job. Whoever it is should not need 3 years to figure out you need PLAYERS to win in these conferences.

At some point NU is going to need to get over it's snobbery with regard to AAU types. I'm not saying NU should cheat. Not at all. But you can't bury your head in the sand either and pretend that you don't need those connections either.

Scott Spinelli?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerwirejay View Post
    Scott Spinelli?

Has a rep as a recruiter, right? And having been in the Big 12 for a while the talent thing shouldn't be a shock to him.

Junior Varsity

Danny Nee, he could buy Barry's and run the bar when he wasn't coaching, then after practice and games gather customers around the bar to tell them about days gone by when they won the Big 8 tournament and got an NCAA berth

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by COG View Post
    I don't get Jay why you think there's a 98% chance Doc is gone. I'd say it's closer to 98% chance he's not.

With that said, Doc has lost a LOT more than the last three games. Did anyone notice the crowd Sunday, how it was VERY pro Creighton? Four years ago, I'd say a game at the Qwest Center was more pro-Nebraska even though it was a Creighton home game. I was astounded to hear the Creighton crowd. Those fans use to be Nebraska fans, or at least fans of both. That crowd Sunday sounded like NU had very few supporters in the building.

If that truly is the case, where CU is getting a lot of support from Nebraskans and NU fans are becoming completely apathetic, then maybe TO will pull the plug.
    I wouldn't worry about who the Creighton fans are supporting this particular week.

Creighton's winning right now. They feel it's cool to be a Bluejay. I'm sure you guys still have a closet full of various team's apparel to put on when Creighton isn't doing so good.
    "Lay it down, forget it, take off your red, choose another team ... or stick with it."

Red Shirt
    I wouldn't worry about who the Creighton fans are supporting this particular week.

Creighton's winning right now. They feel it's cool to be a Bluejay. I'm sure you guys still have a closet full of various team's apparel to put on when Creighton isn't doing so good
    Bitter fan. It sucks to be bitter, doesn't it?
    "They're not in my head" -- Tim Miles trying to explain how a team with lessor talent, experience, resources, and conference affliation has won 13 of 16 games against Nebraska.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigfRed View Post

Creighton's winning right now. They feel it's cool to be a Bluejay. I'm sure you guys still have a closet full of various team's apparel to put on when Creighton isn't doing so good.
    fRed...did you watch the game. Are you happy with an offense that consists of letting the PG fire away and has pretty much no other clue? Good Christ...what will it take for you to see the light on this guy?

The Huskers should go out and get Rex Walters from San Fransico. The guy is young as far as coaching goes and is doing good things at USF

Red Shirt

People still think like this? I could see this line of thought in 2002.

Heisman

Fred you are better than this. It is okay to admit you were wrong and all.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by p-ville husker View Post
    Fred you are better than this. It is okay to admit you were wrong and all.
    Unfortunately, this has become his MO. He often has a good message, but it gets lost in bitterness.

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    fRed...did you watch the game. Are you happy with an offense that consists of letting the PG fire away and has pretty much no other clue? Good Christ...what will it take for you to see the light on this guy?
    He's happy because TO told him to be happy, Doc's our guy.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

huskerborn

You are something else..