Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Time for Bo & Company to win a couple big recruiting battles

  1. #1
    Recruit

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Hinsdale, IL (Chicago area)
    Posts
    433

    Time for Bo & Company to win a couple big recruiting battles

    I like the looks of the guys we got so far, but I'm waiting for Bo to win a few recruiting battles against the big boys. It's time, the program needs it. Of the guys we have committed, a couple had tOSU offers, Michigan St, Iowa, Missouri. Nothing against they guys we have committed. But I kinda look at who else made offers when deciding how happy I am with that commit. It's time for Bo to win out against some of the powers and get those guys! The Deion Jones de-commit got me thinking about this. I am not surprised he is now going to LSU and expected it once he got an offer. Still, Bo needs to land these guys!

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124,340
    You look at who else offered? Then I guess you are not happy at all with Lavonte David.....or Kenny Bell....nor were you happy with DeJon Gomes nor did you like Alex Henery or Brett Maher.....and I could go on....


    Go look at who offered Lavonte David (as an example):

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...mukamara-49410


    And FWIW Bo won plenty of those battles last year that you talk about.....i.e. Aaron Green, Charles Jackson, Tyler Moore and Todd Peat...
    come to mind...

    Offers are no more a sign of success than stars are....


    Not to mention recruitng at Nebraska is not easy....CA, FL, OH, TX and LA have built in advantages that make it very hard to compete against them....they are loaded with talent and they usually get the pick of the crop for obvious reasons....

    If it were only as easy as you make it sound.....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  3. #3
    Red Shirt
    YUENGLING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pottsville, pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,328
    Bo's done a great job recruting and an even better job of coaching ( look at the NFL draft last season) them when they get to Lincoln. No prima donna's either ( great group of walk ons ) no one gets promised playing time.
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

  4. #4
    Husker Immortal Love Tool
    Skunkman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Albion, Nebraska
    Posts
    6,487
    I just don't know about His " I don't want you to decide now during your trip, go home first and let our glow wear off you first"
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

    I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

  5. #5
    Scout Team
    N2FL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Not to mention recruitng at Nebraska is not easy....CA, FL, OH, TX and LA have built in advantages that make it very hard to compete against them....they are loaded with talent and they usually get the pick of the crop for obvious reasons....

    If it were only as easy as you make it sound.....
    I am not disagreeing with you RR, it is much more difficult for Nebraska to recruit than schools like Texas, LSU, Florida, Florida State, USC (pre sanctions) and a few others. The point I want to bring up though is that schools like Oregon and Notre Dame have the same disadvantages that Nebraska has (poor in-state talent, bad weather) and still can recruit with any school in the country. Nebraska can and should be on their level. Nebraska has some of the best tradition (Notre Dame) and facilities (Oregon) in the country. I think when, not if, but when Nebraska starts to go to the B1G Championship game 3 out of 5 years on a regular basis with 10+ wins a year, they will get to where "distance" and "location" are not a factor. If you win, they will come - just ask Oregon. Ever been to Eugene?

    I have no questions about the Husker program. As an "outsider" looking in, I see a big up arrow next to them if I were comparing their program to a stock. Playing all new opponents, breaking in a first year OC (who I think also looks like a rising star in the profession), 4 new assistant coaches, replacing several key players on defense - all while trying to make changes to the overall scheme...Nebraska has done quite well under the circumstances. Besides the Northestern letdown, I thought Wisconsin and Michigan were going to be losses for them. I thought 10-2, not far off. And ask "better" teams like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, who lost to teams that were worse than Northwestern, how upsets can strike anyone.

    According to my homework and the buzz from kids I have talked with, Nebraska is going to end up with a better recruiting class than a lot of people expect. Things are looking bright in Lincoln.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    124,340
    I think we are saying the exact same thing my friend....no argument...

    Notre Dame is a different thing all together.....

    Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you RR, it is much more difficult for Nebraska to recruit than schools like Texas, LSU, Florida, Florida State, USC (pre sanctions) and a few others. The point I want to bring up though is that schools like Oregon and Notre Dame have the same disadvantages that Nebraska has (poor in-state talent, bad weather) and still can recruit with any school in the country. Nebraska can and should be on their level. Nebraska has some of the best tradition (Notre Dame) and facilities (Oregon) in the country. I think when, not if, but when Nebraska starts to go to the B1G Championship game 3 out of 5 years on a regular basis with 10+ wins a year, they will get to where "distance" and "location" are not a factor. If you win, they will come - just ask Oregon. Ever been to Eugene?

    I have no questions about the Husker program. As an "outsider" looking in, I see a big up arrow next to them if I were comparing their program to a stock. Playing all new opponents, breaking in a first year OC (who I think also looks like a rising star in the profession), 4 new assistant coaches, replacing several key players on defense - all while trying to make changes to the overall scheme...Nebraska has done quite well under the circumstances. Besides the Northestern letdown, I thought Wisconsin and Michigan were going to be losses for them. I thought 10-2, not far off. And ask "better" teams like Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, who lost to teams that were worse than Northwestern, how upsets can strike anyone.

    According to my homework and the buzz from kids I have talked with, Nebraska is going to end up with a better recruiting class than a lot of people expect. Things are looking bright in Lincoln.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  7. #7
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,481
    Just someone who doesn't get it or who has an agenda or both.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    You look at who else offered? Then I guess you are not happy at all with Lavonte David.....or Kenny Bell....nor were you happy with DeJon Gomes nor did you like Alex Henery or Brett Maher.....and I could go on....


    Go look at who offered Lavonte David (as an example):

    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...mukamara-49410


    And FWIW Bo won plenty of those battles last year that you talk about.....i.e. Aaron Green, Charles Jackson, Tyler Moore and Todd Peat...
    come to mind...

    Offers are no more a sign of success than stars are....


    Not to mention recruitng at Nebraska is not easy....CA, FL, OH, TX and LA have built in advantages that make it very hard to compete against them....they are loaded with talent and they usually get the pick of the crop for obvious reasons....

    If it were only as easy as you make it sound.....
    There's no doubt it's tougher to recruit at NU than those places, especially when you consider the fact that the kids they're recruiting don't remember when NU was a dominant team.

    However...excuse me while I don my scarlet + cream = rose colored glasses...I find it hard to believe that a school with the fourth most wins all-time, one of the most loyal fan bases in the country, and an up and coming coach like Bo can't recruit with the best of them. The ability to recruit nationally and blend those guys with home state recruits/walk-ons is one of the things that has always made NU special, IMO.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: The natural recruiting disadvantage NU has is the exact reason they need to aim higher than those other teams. Not saying they should waste time or resources on guys they have no chance of landing, but they should go after more big fish than they currently do.

  9. #9
    Message Board Wizard
    izzycohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wheaton, IL
    Posts
    5,579
    I sense that we're in on a bunch of very high quality recruits. The next two months are going to be very exciting. It will be a very good class.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •