Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Does anyone on here smoke venison?

Varsity

Does anyone on here smoke venison?

So, does anybody smoke venison on here? I would like to give it a shot, but am afraid because it's so lean it'll turn to shoe leather. I'm thinking maybe wrapping in bacon and or butterflying the meat and placing bacon strips on the inside. Any thoughts or tips?

"I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by redwinghusker View Post
    So, does anybody smoke venison on here? I would like to give it a shot, but am afraid because it's so lean it'll turn to shoe leather. I'm thinking maybe wrapping in bacon and or butterflying the meat and placing bacon strips on the inside. Any thoughts or tips?
    Yes I do, but if I told you what I marinated it in, my brother in-law would shoot me.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

On the American lines of the Siege of 1781
    Quote Originally Posted by redwinghusker View Post
    Here's what has worked for me, Redwing -
    Marinate in Olive Oil, Roasted Garlic, Liquid Smoke, Worchestershire, Sugar, Salt and Pepper. Add or delete cumin, oregano, bay leaves, or cayenne, based on the type of harvested game, your targeted audience, and your preference. The only rule that I learned was to make sure the salt and sugar are of equal amounts (one cup each). Three to four days marination should work for just about all circumstances. Slit the meat, add garlic cloves if desired. Baste every half hour with butter, or (as you point out) pin some bacon to the outside of the venison. Smoke to 145 degrees, let sit for ten to fifteen minutes. Slice thinly.

Husker Immortal
    why isn't this in the kitchen?

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Lincoln Nebraska
    Pops?
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Recruit
    So, does anybody smoke venison on here?
    Used to, but heard it can cause cancer, so I quit...
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
    Used to, but heard it can cause cancer, so I quit...
    I always had trouble keeping it lit!