Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: To smoke or not to smoke?

To smoke or not to smoke?

To smoke or not to smoke? That is the question? Should I fire up the smoker for dinners this weekend or just use speed dial for dinners? And I need ideas what to put in the smoker

Blackshirt
    Smoke a chicken for a change.

Make that 2, and I will expect the delivery of mine at around noon tomorrow.

Geesh I need to get a smoker.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

God of Huskermax

Chicken is good and quick. Pork loins are quick.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffSurveyor View Post
    Smoke a chicken for a change.

Make that 2, and I will expect the delivery of mine at around noon tomorrow.

Geesh I need to get a smoker.
    How about a turkey, I brine mine first.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerMark View Post
    To smoke or not to smoke? That is the question? Should I fire up the smoker for dinners this weekend or just use speed dial for dinners? And I need ideas what to put in the smoker
    Another good one I had one time was a Prime Rib roast, that thing was awesome. you can have left-overs all weekend.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Another good one I had one time was a Prime Rib roast, that thing was awesome. you can have left-overs all weekend.
    One of my favorites, although very expensive, is a whole beef tenderloin.

RP, get that going and you can come treat me to an early lunch tomorrow before my test.

Dinner tonight is an apple, chips, and Dr. Pepper.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    RP, get that going and you can come treat me to an early lunch tomorrow before my test.

Dinner tonight is an apple, chips, and Dr. Pepper.
    That tenderloin is probably my favorite next to brisket. One of these days when I get all my welfare checks at once I will invite some guys over for a game and I'll cook it up!

I have been doing a Prime Rib roast a couple times a month, If I do a a 8 lb. roast it will last all week for lunches

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    That tenderloin is probably my favorite next to brisket. One of these days when I get all my welfare checks at once I will invite some guys over for a game and I'll cook it up!
    Never did a whole loin, sounds interesting.

How about a turkey, I brine mine first.
    I (partly) smoked a Butterball at Thanksgiving. Dis a Butterball all you want, but from what I have read Brining isn't necessary with a more commercially prepared bird.

I just have a Weber gas grill and used a cast iron smoker box. I didn't have the heat high enough to get the chips going until about an hour and a half into it. I wound up botching placement of my electronic remote reading thermometer and wound up having to cook a extra hour (heat setting was too low). On the positive side, we were able to juggle the sides and were flexible enough to eat an hour later. My best Turkey ever! (Of course you might consider me to be pretty unsophisticated). Next year I may try some variations. Perhaps putting the smoker box in during the pre-heat (there were still chips left at the end - last year they were gone after about an hour); maybe put second box it; perhaps have the turkey cook for four hours like this year vs. a typical three.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker View Post
    I (partly) smoked a Butterball at Thanksgiving. Dis a Butterball all you want, but from what I have read Brining isn't necessary with a more commercially prepared bird.

I just have a Weber gas grill and used a cast iron smoker box. I didn't have the heat high enough to get the chips going until about an hour and a half into it. I wound up botching placement of my electronic remote reading thermometer and wound up having to cook a extra hour (heat setting was too low). On the positive side, we were able to juggle the sides and were flexible enough to eat an hour later. My best Turkey ever! (Of course you might consider me to be pretty unsophisticated). Next year I may try some variations. Perhaps putting the smoker box in during the pre-heat (there were still chips left at the end - last year they were gone after about an hour); maybe put second box it; perhaps have the turkey cook for four hours like this year vs. a typical three.
    I usually do a couple of smaller birds when I smoke them. The other thing to do is Brine one and not the other, you can see the comparison right there.

I usually do a couple of smaller birds when I smoke them. The other thing to do is Brine one and not the other, you can see the comparison right there.
    I have typically grilled (and smoked) 21 lb birds... this year's was 18 (usually I had to take a 21 because when I would buy all that would be left was too big - 21 - or too small -- 12 or less.

I was reading on Brineing, and they were specifically said that you wouldn't notice much difference if any if you had a Butterball... I have mixed feelings... back in the late '70's mama was disgusted by the fat run off from a Butterball and bought a truly fresh bird and Leon's (the grocery store in Lincoln) and was pretty proud that the fat run off was very low (can't remember if it was dry, though).

It sounded to me that it really depends on how much prep work you may be buying vs. doing yourself. I will say that I can't imagine a bird being more tender than what I cooked this year.

I am thinking it may make sense to do some more grilling, perhaps some 10 pound birds... really, a 10 pound bird works pretty well... for weekend work. We might have 4 to 6 people and you eat it all in one sitting and don't have leftovers.