Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Derrius Vick commits to Ohio

Derrius Vick commits to Ohio

Committed today.....probally his best move on a full-ride scholarship....best of luck to him....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/huskerlandpr...us-Vick-107559
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Good for him.

Sounds promising for the final Husker push and getting the first picks, leaving no extra scholarships this weekend.

Junior Varsity
    good luck mr vick. hope you do great things at ohio
    Support our troops......they are the ones that gave us the freedom that we know today.

My thought too....the fact that Derrius picked Ohio means the class must be full or they are thinking it will be thus, no scholarship for him...17 now and add Marsh (grey shirt) in and we have room for 4 perhaps 5 more commits...

Derrui swill be a good fit at Ohio and should do well their...

Quote Originally Posted by alohahusker View Post
    Sounds promising for the final Husker push and getting the first picks, leaving no extra scholarships this weekend.

Red Shirt
    To me, this implies that NU has that scholarship locked up with a recruit that has yet to officially commit. Is that the way you read it RR?
    Steve
    bentNblue

Yes....

Quote Originally Posted by bentNblue View Post
    To me, this implies that NU has that scholarship locked up with a recruit that has yet to officially commit. Is that the way you read it RR?

Quote Originally Posted by bentNblue View Post
    Either that or Frankie pressed him for a committment... You have to take the bird in hand... Who loves ya baby? Who has shown you the love?

Quote Originally Posted by KleinTxHusker View Post
    Either that or Frankie pressed him for a committment... You have to take the bird in hand... Who loves ya baby? Who has shown you the love?
    yeah also maybe he decided he really wanted a shot to play QB, at NU his chances of that were slim to none. Hope he does well, it will be fun to watch him at Ohio

Husker Immortal
    Isn't the Iowa State transfer, Phillip ?????, at Ohio and looking to play this year at QB?

God I admire you.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    Isn't the Iowa State transfer, Phillip ?????, at Ohio and looking to play this year at QB?
    Phillip Bates from Omaha. He's playing QB already and got quite a bit of work this year. #2 rusher, #2 passer and #2 in total offense on the team in 2010.

Boo Jackson graduated, so Bates looks like odds-on to start. They have another JR QB on the roster but he didn't have any stats in 2010 and a FR that likely redshirted.

Vick will be stepping into a situation where he will probably be able to compete for a job in a year or so.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Husker Immortal
    Good luck Mr. Vick. May you and Frankie get along well.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Varsity
    Vick wasn't real high on NU's charts nor was NU high on Vick's. Vick wanted to play QB. Has always wanted to. A year ago he wasn't sure if basketball or football would help him most. I think the deciding factor for Vick was what we were recruiting him for (ATH most likely ending up at DB) vs what Ohio was recruiting him for (QB). While I want to jump in on the "this tells me the other recruits are a go" conversation, I can't say that I honestly feel that way according to Vick's situation. Vick would have had to compete hard to play QB with the guys we have coming in (Turner, possibly Starling), as well as the guys we have on campus (Martinez, Green, Carnes, Kellogg), as well as Marsh who was also a pretty decent talent his last year in HS. So, he most likely would have moved to DB. And I think it would have been just as rough competing to see the field there with the talent we have and coming in. Ohio was probably his best option. Good luck to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    Phillip Bates from Omaha. He's playing QB already and got quite a bit of work this year. #2 rusher, #2 passer and #2 in total offense on the team in 2010.

Boo Jackson graduated, so Bates looks like odds-on to start. They have another JR QB on the roster but he didn't have any stats in 2010 and a FR that likely redshirted.

Vick will be stepping into a situation where he will probably be able to compete for a job in a year or so.
    Thanks, FLAS.

Message Board Wizard
    Good luck to Mr. Vick. I hope to be watching him play for the Bobcats.

All American

Nebraska liked Vick as a safety prospect but not sure if he would have gotten an offer. Given next year's ultra-small class, a greyshirt was probably not a good idea. Timing just wasn't there.

Meanwhile, Ohio seems like a good fit to his abilities at QB.