Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubba Starling ain't coming to Lincoln . . .

Bubba Starling ain't coming to Lincoln . . .

This guy is probably going to be the first pick in the MLB draft. No-way, no-how does he pass up $10 million to come to Lincoln to play football. If he was born and raised in Nebraska, there might be a slight chance. The money is just to great to pass up.

If any underclassman on our football team was projected as the #1 pick in the NFL draft, would anybody expect him to return? No. Then why would we expect Bubba to pass up the same? So, why did he commit to NU? It can't hurt his bargaining power for negotiating his contract. Bubba committing to NU is like buying auto insurance - - you hope to never use it, but, on the off chance you need it, it will be there.

One bad hit and his baseball career is over. Too much to risk.

Playing college football is an experience that one may never get, especially at a top tier program such as Nebraska. I can see this guy coming here, enjoying the time of his life, which will be something he will never forget. Then again, I can see him finding it hard to resist temptation of millions of dollars. He knows that he can go play pro baseball after his college football career and I hope he decides to do just that. I wish him the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerInSunDiego View Post
    This guy is probably going to be the first pick in the MLB draft. No-way, no-how does he pass up $10 million to come to Lincoln to play football. If he was born and raised in Nebraska, there might be a slight chance. The money is just to great to pass up.

If any underclassman on our football team was projected as the #1 pick in the NFL draft, would anybody expect him to return? No. Then why would we expect Bubba to pass up the same? So, why did he commit to NU? It can't hurt his bargaining power for negotiating his contract. Bubba committing to NU is like buying auto insurance - - you hope to never use it, but, on the off chance you need it, it will be there.

Well aren't we just the little ray of sunshine this morning!!!

Agree, that it's not likely but it's not February yet so I'm willing to wait and see.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Husker Fan

Suh went high and he came back for his senior year...

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Well aren't we just the little ray of sunshine this morning!!!

Agree, that it's not likely but it's not February yet so I'm willing to wait and see.
    Doc, he's all flush from winning the 'dark side' award. Back to spread some more of his "cheer."

That said, I highly doubt we see Bubba. Way too much to risk...
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

All American
    IIRC, even if he signs a letter of intent, he can still go pro in baseball up until he enrolls in school in August?

So even if we actually sign him, it won't matter until the first day of class....

It's hardly worth a thread to announce this.

In other news, grass is green, birds fly, and waves pound the sand.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

Prop 48
    Is it raining in San Deigo?

Smile, the sun will come up tomorrow.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by AKIDAD View Post
    Is it raining in San Deigo?

Smile, the sun will come up tomorrow.
    At least your avatar is a ray of sunshine Akidad.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

All American
    ThotDoc: Posts Per Day 89.59

Unbelievable!
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

Prop 48
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    At least your avatar is a ray of sunshine Akidad.
    If that can't make you smile, then there is no hope for you.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Suh went high and he came back for his senior year...
    kinda apples to oranges, though...(and suh actually improved his draft ranking -- and made millions because of it -- by coming back).

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    ThotDoc: Posts Per Day 89.59

Unbelievable!

I was looking for a little News here. I didn't see anything that 95% of us haven't already thought about or maybe Husker in SD just had this occur to him and felt he better tell the rest of us? What else could it have been?

Red Shirt

This will cheer you up!

http://www.kidstube.com/play.php?vid=4536
    ``I'm warning you, Dobbs!''

Party like it's 1985!
    Nothing new here...just more random speculation without any fact behind it.

I don't know where you are getting the idea that he is the #1 overall pick. That's not even close.

http://www.draftsite.com/article/201...ol-Pitchers/44 not in the top 10 HS pitchers in this one

http://www.draftsite.com/mlb/mock-draft/2011 This one has him at #20. Another has him at #17.

Why don't we wait and see whether he enrolls for January classes before we declare him a casualty?
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10