Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 09-02-2014 11:16 AM     Number of Views: 583 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

Husker stampede thrust Owls on the brink of extinction.
    NU runs over FAU 55-7

Player of the Game: Ameer Abdullah
    21 car, 232 yds, TD

A wise old owl once told me that it took three licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop. From the looks of things yesterday it appears it took about the same amount of time for the big red army to assert its will ...
    by Published on 08-31-2014 03:27 PM  Number of Views: 5268 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics
    Aug 30, 2014; Lincoln, NE, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. (4) runs the ball as Florida Atlantic Owls defensive end Robinson Eugene (59) defends during the first half at Memorial Stadium. Nebraska won 55-7. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

With 91,441 fans in attendance at Memorial Stadium, the Huskers won their 29th straight opener, the longest streak in the nation. And opening day couldn't have gone better for the Huskers, who welcomed the 2014 football season with a convincing 55-7 win over the Florida Atlantic Owls. After winning the opening toss, the Huskers bucked the trend of deferring to the second half and asked for the ball to start the game. Almost as if they knew what they had in store for the hapless Owls.

The Husker offense made its presence felt right away, driving 86-yards on 13-plays for a touchdown on its opening
    by Published on 08-30-2014 07:11 PM  Number of Views: 9509 

The 55-7 wipeout of Florida Atlantic was a throwback day, a demonstration for fans 25 and younger what the older generation often enjoyed when Tom Osborne's Cornhuskers took the field on a September afternoon. With the offense delivering a ton of total offense and the defense shutting down the opponent after a first-quarter touchdown drive, almost every Husker fan could find something to love ...
    by Published on 08-30-2014 06:43 PM  Number of Views: 6438 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

On a day when many Big 10 teams were struggling in their early games, Nebraska took care off season-opening cupcake the old fashioned way: executing their base offense, sprinkling in enough blitzes on defense, and easy breathing by the third quarter. A lot of backups/younger players got into the mix, and you have to feel that this team will be competing in November. If I'd bet on the over of 7.5 wins, I'd feel good now.

by Published on 08-28-2014 09:10 PM  Number of Views: 3151 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

Let me paint a picture for you. This year, Nebraska enters the Wisconsin game 6-3. With two minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Gary Andersen, holding a 31-27 lead, goes for it on a 4th-and-3 on the Nebraska 37. Joel Stave's play-fake fools the entire Husker defense as he rolls out, only to stop, turn, and throw back across the field to a wide-open tight end not even Wisconsin fans have heard of. The 38-27 loss burns Nebraska's chance to win the Legends Division.

After the following week's 31-17 Senior Day win against Minnesota, Iowa is ...
    by Published on 08-27-2014 11:07 AM  Number of Views: 6456 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

Some of the ways Nebraska can have a big season in 2014 are quite obvious (give the ball to Ameer Abdullah, get solid production from Tommy Armstrong, reduce turnovers, establish a punt return game, etc.)

But there are some other keys that have kind of flown under the radar. They may not be as self-evident as "keep the defensive ends healthy", but they are just as important.

1. Move on from Taylor Martinez.

Love him or hate him, he is gone. And yet, I cannot begin to count the number of times I've seen and heard Martinez mentioned since the Gator Bowl ended his eligibility. The program, fans, and media do not do themselves any favors by continually ...
    by Published on 08-25-2014 04:00 PM  Number of Views: 3113 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

I can't believe I'm writing these words: The 2014 Nebraska Cornhusker football season is about to begin! How sweet the sound!

No more waiting. In just days, Bo Pelini will unveil his seventh Husker football team this Saturday August 30th as NU takes on the mighty Florida Atlantic Owls at Memorial Stadium. If you've been away on the planet Gorgon for the past several months, you might not know that Carl Pelini (Bo's Bro) will NOT be coaching FAU this game or likely any other Owl games.

THE NO BRO BOWL

Nope, Carl was forced to ...
    by Published on 08-23-2014 10:14 AM  Number of Views: 5770 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics
    Oct 12, 2013; West Lafayette, IN, USA; Purdue Boilermakers quarterback Danny Etling (5) is sacked in the end zone for a safety by Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive end Randy Gregory (44) at Ross Ade Stadium. Nebraska defeats Purdue 44-7. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports

Yesterday I took a look at each position group on offense. Today I finish my team breakdown with a preview of the defense and special teams.

Defensive Line:

Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports
    The front four has the talent and potential to be the best defensive line Pelini has fielded at Nebraska. All four starters will play in the NFL someday. The catalyst of this group is junior Randy Gregory (6-6, 240), who makes a strong argument for being the best defensive end in college football. The Huskers haven't had a pure pass-rusher of his ilk since Trev Alberts.

The defensive end opposite of Gregory is sophomore Greg McMullen (6-3, 280), who is starting to come into his own and show why he was a four-star recruit with offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan State. McMullen had an
    by Published on 08-21-2014 04:19 PM  Number of Views: 4493 
    Article Preview

Bo Pelini's tenure as coach at Nebraska can be compared to a Clint Eastwood movie: The Good (at least 9-wins every year) The Bad (4-losses every year) and The Ugly (no conference titles or BCS appearances). Pelini (58-24), now entering his seventh year at Nebraska, is coming off of his most tumultuous season in Lincoln. With plenty of experience and key returnees back for the 2013 season, as well as eight home games, Husker fans expected Nebraska to represent the now defunct Legends division in Indianapolis. Instead, the Huskers came out of the gate - against a Wyoming team that finished the season 5-7 - and gave up over 600 yards of offense in a 37-34 nail biter.

The defense would go on to spend the first half of the 2013 season paying homage to Kevin Cosgrove. Poor defensive play helped to add fuel to a coaching seat that at times was on fire. Fans and media spent
    by Published on 08-20-2014 10:40 PM   
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

With the start of the season less than two weeks away, Nebraska hovers at No. 22 in both the AP and USA Today coaches' preseason polls, which is just as it should be. The Cornhuskers have done nothing lately to earn any more public esteem than that. They enter the season with an aggressive defense that will be dynamite if it can keep teams from running between the tackles. Nebraska has quality running backs, inexperience at ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7