Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 12-19-2014 01:45 PM     Number of Views: 12326 
    Article Preview

Cornhusker fans were privy to one more Pelini tirade. As if they needed more confirmation that Bo Pelini was not the man for the job. Bo Pelini went out the only way he knew how - by burning any bridges he could along the way. Did anyone expect things to go differently? Seriously. After hearing his first controversial tape in September of ...
    by Published on 12-18-2014 03:00 PM  Number of Views: 12560 

Just when you thought Nebraska had seen the last of Bo Pelini's profanity-laced tirades, he comes up with yet another one. And just like the one he had following a dramatic comeback win over Ohio State in Lincoln in 2011, this one was also recorded. And has gone viral.

Huh?

What's the saying? "The mikes are always ...
    by Published on 12-18-2014 10:44 AM   
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

I have a recommendation for Bo Pelini: from now on, carry a short-range EMP with you at all times. That way, if you ever feel the need to go on another profanity-laced tirade just set it off to ensure that you aren't recorded.

Going to be honest, I don't think the Omaha World-Herald ...
    by Published on 12-18-2014 03:05 AM     Number of Views: 6775 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

While I think there were some moments of truth and honesty in Bo Pelini's comments to his former players after being fired from Nebraska, it is sadly obvious that there are many more pieces of spin, delusion, and possible fabrications.

Since I don't really feel like splitting hairs or getting caught up in spin, I'm going to point out ten quotes where Pelini was completely, unequivocally, dead wrong:

1. "I didn't really have any relationship with the AD."

I include this one not from a fact or crap point of view, because I have no idea what type of relationship Bo and Shawn Eichorst had - nor is it really relevant to the point.

I include it because if Bo did not have a relationship with his boss, his direct supervisor - the guy who could fire him - that's on him. I'm not saying that Bo needed to be a brown-noser or bestest buddies with ol' Shawnie, but if I was concerned about being fired - or more appropriately, wanting to avoid being fired - I'd make sure my boss knew who I was, what intangibles I bring to the table, the names of the kids who be uprooted if I'm canned, etc.

I know Bo was a little busy trying to build a football team good enough to win championships and silence 1.8 million critics, but that doesn't excuse not making an effort.

2. "(Eichorst) was never going to come out in the paper and support (us)."

From an ESPN.com story dated August 13, 2014:

• "I really ...
    by Published on 12-17-2014 11:48 PM  Number of Views: 10328 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

Fans and media members are reacting to the leaked audio of Bo Pelini's farewell address to his team from a few days after he was fired. Most of that reaction is rightfully critical as Pelini was very harsh - both in language and in message - in attacking his former boss, fans, media, and University leadership while portraying himself as somebody who was not supported by the administration.

But...

There are several areas of Pelini's speech where the coach is right, speaking the truth, or unintentionally stated an absolute fact.

Here are the nuggets of truth mined from the Omaha World-Herald's transcript of the speech:

1. "(Eichorst) was never going to come out in the paper and support (us)."

Let's set aside the inconvenient truth that Eichorst - in an August interview with the World-Herald, Lincoln Journal Star and the Associated Press - did offer support (even if Eichorst's quotes read like a prequel to the Bo is fired press conference). I interpret Bo's quote to mean that he was looking for his boss to speak up for him after the Wisconsin or Minnesota losses.

But if we know anything about Eichorst, it is that he's never going to make public comments about a coach while the coach is in the midst of a season. Bo states a truth, but he should have been smart enough to know he was not going to get what he wanted.

2. "The scrutiny, the taking shots at you, and everything ...
    by Published on 12-15-2014 07:25 PM  Number of Views: 8647 

Now that the Husker regular season is over and the team, under the direction of Barney Cotton, prepares for its December 27th appearance in the Holiday Bowl, I thought I would take time to answer some email.

Dear Husker Dan:
    Now that you've had a few days to think about the hiring of Mike Riley, who do you think will benefit the most and what do you think was Mike's main reason for coming to Nebraska?
    Hickam DeJudge
    Longview, Texas

Great question (otherwise I wouldn't have put it in my
    by Published on 12-11-2014 03:56 PM  Number of Views: 8779 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

Fill your Christmas stockings with a fresh batch of Husker Hot Takes:

What in the holy Incarnate Word is going on with Nebrasketball?

That was a meltdown of epic proportions. Fouling a shooter taking a three pointer. Twice. Throwing away in-bounds passes. Mental lapses and physical breakdowns. All while a less than capacity crowd watches quietly. Somewhere in Indiana, Barry Collier said "Damn, that's a bad loss."*

*He probably didn't say that.

I heard a conspiracy-minded person hint that maybe Nebraska lost on purpose (for reasons ...
    by Published on 12-09-2014 08:36 PM     Number of Views: 8443 

"I know that If I die and go to Heaven and Mike Riley's not there, I'm in the wrong place."
    Mack Brown quoted in the Omaha World Herald

Okay, by now everyone who follows Husker football knows that Bo Pelini was fired last week after seven years as the Husker head coach and was replaced by Mike Riley, former head football coach at Oregon State University.

And by now, you know that out of the past six seasons as the Beavers' head man, Mike Riley's teams had losing records in
    by Published on 12-09-2014 03:34 PM  Number of Views: 15969 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

What a week. Now that the dust is settled and Mike Riley is getting to work, I have to say this: I don't know yet how much better Nebraska may be after this move. As I wrote before, Riley is the two important things Pelini is not (a nice, offensive-minded guy), but Nebraska may have gone through the ...
    by Published on 12-08-2014 09:55 PM  Number of Views: 8504 

What is it the investment advisors always say? “Past performance is no guarantee of future results.”

That’s what I keep coming back to when I think about the Mike Riley hiring. A man whose Oregon State teams won just under 54 percent of their games ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7