Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 04-20-2014 02:18 PM  Number of Views: 5804 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

What needs to happen before the Cornhusker football program regains national prominence? Last month, I discussed the primary need – the defense needs to regain its dynamic Blackshirt identity. But that’s not the only ingredient. ...
    by Published on 04-18-2014 05:15 PM     Number of Views: 7488 
    Oct 5, 2013; Lincoln, NE, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers running back Imani Cross (32) runs against 

Illinois Fighting Illini defenders Jaylen Dunlap (28) and Zepheniah Grimes (33) during the fourth 

quarter at Memorial Stadium. Nebraska won 39-19. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

Nebraska concluded spring camp with a scrimmage in front of 61,772 at Memorial Stadium. Coaches used the allotted fifteen practices to put in place the building blocks for the 2014 season. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck scaled down his offense in an attempt to lessen turnovers and make on-field decisions easier for projected starter Tommy Armstrong. The Huskers went into spring needing to replace a four-year starter at quarterback, as well as several seniors on the offensive line. There were also questions about the depth at cornerback and defensive end on defense. With the conclusion of spring practices, I look at five things we learned and still need ...
    by Published on 04-17-2014 02:25 PM  Number of Views: 1677 

I would have written this piece sooner, but I've been too verklempt just thinking about Bo Pelini's "touching" entrance into Memorial Stadium just before the kickoff in last Saturday's "Spring Fling" in Lincoln.

Bo coming out of the tunnel holding a cat did it for me. That Bo! What a softie! And later, there was Bo yucking it up with the officials
    by Published on 04-15-2014 10:20 AM     Number of Views: 5040 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

I attended Nebraska's spring game with low enthusiasm on Saturday, and the on-field product matched my experience. Maybe it's because this Bo Pelini's seventh year here at Nebraska, with coordinators going into their fourth and third years, that it just feels like there wasn't a lot to see. ...
    by Published on 04-13-2014 12:06 AM     Number of Views: 422 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

Nebraska held their annual spring Red-White scrimmage today. The highlight of the day happened before the game started. Head Coach Bo Pelini lead the team out for their traditional Tunnel Walk carrying a cat.

Yes. A football coach with a reputation for being surly carried a cat onto the field in front of 61,000 fans. And then proceeded to hold it up in the air Lion King style.

The video can be seen here.

Here is the quick back story: There is a Bo Pelini parody account on Twitter (@fauxpelini) that is brilliant and hilarious. The avatar Faux Pelini uses is Bo's face Photoshopped onto a guy in a sweater holding a cat. Bo has used Twitter to respond to Faux, and their tweets usually center around the cat. So far in 2014, Bo has taken the cat on a
    by Published on 04-07-2014 10:31 PM  Number of Views: 5763 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

It took a little while, but the report card is in. I've graded the members of the Nebraska football coaching staff on how well they coached their positions and developed their players. It is time to see who passed, who needs to consider summer school, and who should update their resume. Click here to see last year's grades.

Methodology: Last year, my approach was rough. While I utilized the same criteria below, there was no hard and fast rule to how the grades were issued. Looking back, there are some grades that were tough for me to justify. So this year, I'll assign a letter grade (A through F) for each of my four factors and then give each coach an overall GPA (using the standard 4.0 scale).

Here are the things I'm grading the coaches on:

• On-field performance. Did the unit made the team better or were they a weakness? Did they live up to the hype or a big disappointment? Coordinators are also judged on the overall performance of their area.

• Improvement. Did the position group play better in 2013 than in 2012? Better in November than September? Or did they take a step back?

• Positional depth. How many players were in the mix for playing time? When injuries occurred, was there a noticeable drop off to the backup? I think this is a fair representation of "coaching up" the talent to a level where they can contribute and/or succeed on the field. If a starter playing at 60% health is still better than his backup, that says something about how the coach is getting his players ready to go. On the flip side, if a several guys are injured and the unit plays as well as (or better than) they have been, that reflects well on a coach. Obviously, things like injuries, suspensions, and protecting redshirts were considered, but recruiting busts do not. In my opinion, a good coach should be able to turn most lemons into lemonade - even if it takes a lot of squeezing.

• My gut opinion. I was at every home game, ...
    by Published on 03-22-2014 09:28 PM  Number of Views: 8496 

Tweak the uniform style? Change the music for the Tunnel Walk?

We hear a lot about how Nebraska football should market itself more aggressively, about how it needs a better brand to regain national relevance. People are concerned how the ...
    by Published on 03-22-2014 05:58 AM  Number of Views: 4898 
    1. Categories:
    2. Athletics

Nebraska's sudden fall-off in the NCAA Tournament (and to a degree, in the second half against Ohio State in the Big 10 Tournament) was akin to the decline in the show Homeland between its second and third seasons. Nebraska burned through so much effort and three pointers just to get into the tournament, they had virtually ...
    by Published on 03-17-2014 04:19 PM  Number of Views: 4122 
    1. Categories:
    2. Athletics
    Mar 9, 2014; Lincoln, NE, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers guard Shavon Shields (31) drives past Wisconsin Badgers forward Duje Dukan (13) in the first half at Pinnacle Bank Arena. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

The last time Nebraska was in the NCAA Tournament, I was in the eighth grade. Heck, it's been fifteen years since Nebraska went into selection Sunday with any chance of being picked. Even with all that has changed in my life and Husker athletics, being in Pinnacle Bank Arena when Nebraska's name was called and the crowd went crazy is a moment I'll cherish for a long time. This must have been what it ...
    by Published on 03-12-2014 03:55 PM     Number of Views: 1107 

BO SHOULD THANK B1G FOR "LUCKY" 2013

"Some luck lies in not getting what you thought you wanted but getting what you have which once you have got it you may be smart enough to see is what you would have wanted had you known."
    Garrison Keillor

Thirteen is usually an unlucky number, but for last year's Husker football team, Bo Pelini, his staff ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7