Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 10-22-2014 12:00 AM     Number of Views: 4510 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

A heaping helping of hot takes to get you through until Halloween...

Bo Pelini thinks the ESPN / SEC relationship is "bad for college football".
    I won't argue Bo's point, as it remains to be seen just how much ESPN's love affair with the SEC impacts the game. But I hate to see the coach give fuel to the message board conspiracy theorists who believe every announcer hates Nebraska, and ESPN disrespects the Big Ten and every other conference north or west of Columbia, MO.

Look: You and I may sometimes forget it, but I guarantee that ESPN always knows the "E" in their name stands for "Entertainment", not Ethics, Equality, or anything else. ESPN wants viewers (which leads to higher cable fees and more ad dollars). They get those viewers by promoting and talking about winning teams. And right now, the SEC (as a whole) is widely viewed as a winning team.

This is nothing new. Before their love affair with the SEC began, ESPN fawned all over USC. And Texas. And Boise State. And other top programs before that. As some of those teams have fallen on hard times, ESPN quickly moves on to the next big thing. For the most part, this is decided as much by the results on the field as it is by any financial implications ESPN may see from a team or conference's success.

Remember, ESPN has a big, big stake in Texas's Longhorn Network, so if the "ESPN only promotes what they own" conspiracy ...
    by Published on 10-21-2014 12:48 PM  Number of Views: 3044 

HUSKERS 38-NORTHWESTERN 17
    So much for Nebraska's inability to make second-half adjustments.
    So much for Tim Beck's inability to call a good game.
    So much for the Huskers not being able to play a game without a turnover. (Okay, so a little luck didn't hurt.)
    So much for the Huskers not being able to win the turnover battle.
    So much for the Huskers beating themselves (the first half not withstanding).
    So much for Tommy Armstrong not being able to perform well. ...
    by Published on 10-19-2014 06:26 PM  Number of Views: 6501 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football
    Article Preview

In the previous three games between the Cornhuskers and Wildcats, the average margin of victory had been just 2.3 points. For the first half of Saturday's contest, it seemed we were in for much of the same. Nebraska blew several opportunities to take advantage of great starting field position and Northwestern took momentum and a 17-14 lead into halftime. After a sluggish, sloppy first half offensively, Nebraska came out after intermission and played well. The defense ...
    by Published on 10-19-2014 12:52 AM  Number of Views: 8306 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

No last-second heroics on this night. No unlikely bounces, no unforgettable moments. Much more importantly, there was a vintage Nebraska running game at crunch time.

Yes, there were signs of life in the Nebraska running game that was lackluster early on as a big crowd of Husker
    by Published on 10-18-2014 11:21 PM  Number of Views: 5974 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

For a team and a fanbase that can be as biopolar as Nebraska, it seems their games would be split into two distinct emotional states, as was the case Saturday night in Evanston. For three quarters, it was just like any of the last three Nebraska-Northwestern games: bitter rivals trading ...
    by Published on 10-17-2014 01:33 AM  Number of Views: 10669 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics
    Article Preview

The Pelini Administration has never found a soft landing on this op-ed page and likely wonít anytime soon, but if the MSU game proved one thing to me, itís that Bo staying employed at NU is an even safer bet than getting playing time when your last name is Cotton.

And no, itís not because Boís got this whole coaching thing figured out ...
    by Published on 10-14-2014 02:29 PM  Number of Views: 3454 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

The preseason Husker forecast I did in August so far has been right on the mark. (Picking the Huskers to be 5-1 at the half way point with the loss coming at the hands of Michigan State wasn't exactly rocket science, but then again, just remember McNeese State.)

But for the remainder of the Huskers' season, the crystal ball gets a bit cloudier. What looked like a second half with a few suspect opponents, all of a sudden has turned into a much more difficult schedule.

Before getting in to my pix for the second half of the Husker football season, here are some caveats for the Huskers' success the rest of the fall.

1.) Tommy Armstrong
    It's no secret that ...
    by Published on 10-13-2014 11:04 AM  Number of Views: 5750 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

First of all, my apologies for the delayed (or non-existent) Quick Reacts over the past couple games. Unfortunately, I have a day job that swamped me over the past month. With the end of night games after Northwestern, expect my recaps promptly.

With half a season gone by, Nebraska is 5-1, same ...
    by Published on 10-12-2014 01:59 PM  Number of Views: 5746 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football
    Article Preview

The big question surrounding Nebraska football heading into 2014 was this: will the Cornhuskers continue their six-year plateau as a four-loss team, hovering near the bottom of the Top 25?

I think they can show significant improvement by January and beyond, but it hinges on their ability to recapture the Nebraska brand Ė the Blackshirts returning to dominance while the offense ...
    by Published on 10-11-2014 09:22 PM  Number of Views: 4767 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Recruting
    Dennis Hubbard photo

Nebraska is coming off of a disappointing loss in East Lansing. A humbling experience that is worthy of some self-evaluation by coaches and players alike. While there was plenty to be upset about, there were also some positives the Huskers can take from this game and use as a learning experience going forward. Like most teams, Nebraska's coaches wisely used the bye week to hit the recruiting trail. Several coaches were busy touching bases with key commitments while also keeping the heat on some of ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7