Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Front Page RSS Feed

by Published on 09-29-2014 03:17 PM  Number of Views: 6876 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football
    Nov 16, 2013; Lincoln, NE, USA; Michigan State Spartans defender Taybor Pepper (52) recovers the fumble by Nebraska Cornhuskers punt returner Jordan Westerkamp (1) in the first quarter at Memorial Stadium. Michigan State won 41-28. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

This coming Saturday, #19 Nebraska (5-0) goes on the road to East Lansing to take on #10 Michigan State (3-1), the perceived favorites in the Big Ten conference. A win against the Spartans would give the Huskers control of their own destiny in the Big Ten West, with a game in mid-November at Wisconsin looming large. The showdown has been given a primetime billing and will be seen on ABC (8pm EST). This game gives Nebraska the chance to serve notice nationally as the premier ...
    by Published on 09-28-2014 07:58 PM  Number of Views: 2966 
    Sep 27, 2014; Lincoln, NE, USA; Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. (4) throws against Illinois Fighting Illni in the second half at Memorial Stadium. Nebraska won 45-14. Mandatory Credit: Bruce Thorson-USA TODAY Sports

During the first quarter of last night's homecoming game, it seemed the Huskers might have been peeking ahead towards next weekend's showdown with Michigan State. After the manhandling of the Fighting Illini last year in Lincoln, many fans were probably looking ahead to the Spartans game as well. After the opening drive by Illinois resulted in an easy touchdown, you could almost hear the ears perk up in Memorial Stadium.

Luckily the fast start ...
    by Published on 09-28-2014 09:20 AM     Number of Views: 441 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

The Club from Champaign has their Cork popped as the Cornhuskers Cruise in Conference Opener

It was hard to ...
    by Published on 09-28-2014 06:59 AM  Number of Views: 7025 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

Nebraska is the last unbeaten team in the Big Ten this season and really hasn't quite hit its stride yet.

I like the spot Nebraska football is in right now, and I've got to think Bo Pelini does, too.

Pelini has this team farther along than I thought ...
    by Published on 09-26-2014 12:12 AM  Number of Views: 3643 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football

Turn on a fan, because I have more Husker Hot Takes:

The Boyd is Back in Town.
    Pioneering Strength & Conditioning coach Boyd Epley has returned to the Nebraska athletic department as the Assistant Athletic Director for Strength and Conditioning. The reaction I saw was all very positive. Of course, Husker fans have a strong affinity for bringing back people that they associate with the pre-Callahan glory years. Epley certainly fits the bill.

Frankly, I'm not real sure what to make of this. On one hand, I certainly know and appreciate the many innovations Epley is responsible for, as well as the physical advantages the Huskers had over most of their opponents during his 35 year tenure. Yet, I also heard rumblings from many outlets about a drop-off towards the end of his first run in 2004. Additionally, the rash of athletic pubalgia injuries in that time was concerning. I guess I'm in wait and see mode on what Epley's day-to-day role will be - and how it will translate to results on the field and court.

The important caveat in this hire is that Epley will oversee all sports - except football. This has the detractors of current S&C coach Tim Dobson (who apparently is responsible for every ACL injury in Lancaster County since 2010) plotting ...
    by Published on 09-22-2014 11:53 PM  Number of Views: 7837 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

Throughout the game on Saturday night, I kept thinking how much fun I was having. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed going to every one of the Husker games I've attended over the years. But this was different. I've been trying to put my finger on why.

Yes, the late kickoff (and some pregame beverages) didn't hurt. Certainly, the opponent was a big part. Miami. The dreaded Hurricanes. The team that ruined more New Year's Days than any other program. After years of having to play the biggest game of the season in their stadium, they were finally coming north. (Seriously, I'm still bummed it didn't snow - or at least get below 50 degrees). And we beat them. Decidedly.

Yet, there's more to it than just the win. More than Nebraska going to 4-0 and emerging as one of the better teams in the conference. It was how they won. With four quarters of no-nonsense power football, featuring an amazing player doing amazing things. It was a throwback to the glory days, which was fitting as the 1994 team - the team the finally broke through and did the impossible - was there to watch it.

And that is what made the night special.

It was Bo Pelini being as stoic as he possibly can. It was John Garrison channeling the offensive line success of his former coach. It was diminutive Josh Mitchell breaking the game open like another undersized play maker, Baron Miles. It was a quarterback named Tommy making excellent decisions in the option game. It was Ameer Abdullah cementing his ...
    by Published on 09-22-2014 07:33 PM  Number of Views: 4181 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

It was fitting and proper that on Saturday's ticket to the Miami game there was an embossed picture of #8, Ameer Abdullah, on it. He is one of the nation's top collegiate running backs and Saturday night, he broke the career all-purpose yardage record at Nebraska with 313 all-purpose yards. And sadly for Husker fans, they have only four more home games to see him in person before he leaves for the much greener pastures of the NFL.

Since 2011, Ameer has gradually become the Huskers' go-to guy. You say you need a first down
    by Published on 09-22-2014 01:45 PM     Number of Views: 10249 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

This Just In…
    Nebraska rocks Miami…like a Hurricane
    Huskers prevail 41-31

As the minutes ticked down on a nostalgic yet feisty contest, I couldn’t help but wonder if this win on this night was going to lead to something special this year. There was so much hype leading up to this game that you would have thought that the 11th battle between these two teams was going to decide the last spot in the newly created college football playoff this year.

The ...
    by Published on 09-22-2014 09:16 AM  Number of Views: 8555 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics

So, Nebraska's 4-0 for the first time since 2011 and put on a spectacle Saturday night that has not been at Memorial Stadium for some time. Onward 12-0 and Indianapolis and then Dallas? Let's hold off on that for a second and look at what went right first.
    -
    Ameer Abdullah's over-use has become a central focus of my criticism of Nebraska's offense, and yes, I felt they could have skimmed ...
    by Published on 09-21-2014 07:43 PM  Number of Views: 4030 
    1. Categories:
    2. Football,
    3. Athletics
    Ameer Abdullah vs Miami 2014, Dennis Hubbard photo

Where would this Nebraska football team be without Ameer Abdullah? The answer is likely sitting at 2-2. On his best day as a Husker, and in front of a Memorial Stadium record crowd of 91,585, Abdullah broke 1972 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers' school career record for all-purpose yardage. Abdullah's 313 all-purpose yards versus Miami were the second-most in a game for Nebraska, and it raised his career total to 5,762 and counting. Nebraska extended its NCAA-record consecutive sellout streak to an astonishing 336 games on Saturday, and the home crowd didn't disappoint.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7