Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • 2011 Tennessee-Chattanooga game

Nebraska 40, Tenn.-Chattanooga 7

We didn’t show a lot!

The Husker offense jogged onto the field. As I was standing on my feet with great anticipation “What formation will they line up in” I saw Tyler Legate get down in a three point stance (FB), I saw Rex Burkhead behind him in a two point stance (I-Back) (we call it dotting the I). I was immediately taken back for a brief moment! Then the first play they run is a FB dive “WOW”. I gave our new offense coordinator (Tim Beck), his staff Ron Brown (RB’s), Barney Cotton (OL), Rich Fisher (WR’s), and John Garrison(TE’s/OL) and the players a standing ovation. Considering a new offensive coordinator, and new playbook, I felt that execution was going to be important. The first offensive drive of the game with 10:08 left in the 1st quarter Martinez went 7yds on an option play to score the first touchdown of the season. The surprise of the day to me came with 1:52 left in the 1st quarter. Brett Maher (PK/P) attempted a 48yd field goal and made it. Maher went on to have one of the best debuts in recent Husker memory. Maher ended up perfect on the day going 4-4. One was a 50 yd attempt INTO a 17 mph wind. I thought the rest of the game on offense we had some up and down moments, execution being one of the biggest, but overall I would call it average. Considering that we didn’t show a lot of the playbook, and the new/young players we have on that side of the ball.

The Blackshirts made a solid first showing. They recorded 3 sacks on the day (2 of which came from) Camren Meredith (DL). The LB’s (Davis, Roach, and Fisher) lead the defense in tackles and Safety Daimion Stafford in his debut with the Blackshirts showed why he was one of the most sought after junior college recruits in the country last year. Stafford made some big hits and made me bring my roster out of my pocket to see who he was. I don’t believe we showed a lot on defense but they were solid.

Overall it’s a win and it puts us one step closer to where were trying to go!

Congratulations to the 1971 Nebraska Team for being voted “The Greatest Football Team Ever” by The Sporting News.

Remember: Regardless of where we live, Regardless of where we play, we are “Forever A Husker

Calvin Jones
    Husker running back 1990-93
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of fb.