Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Interview with Avery Anderson

Avery Anderson of Pine Creek High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is rated as a four-star prospect by Rivals, ESPN and Scout. Anderson is capable of playing cornerback or free safety at the next level and is widely considered one of the better defensive backs in the Western United States. Anderson was apart of an impressive quartet of recruits who committed to Nebraska following a successful Junior Day held during the first weekend of February. I had the opportunity to interview Avery in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?

A: For fun, I like to just hang out with my family and friends.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?

A: I started playing tackle football in 6th grade.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?

A: My favorite college team growing up would have to be Arizona State. I lived in Arizona.

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?

A: The New York Giants!

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?

A: That's a hard one! I love them both but I would have to say college football.

Q: Are you glad the NCAA implemented a 4-team playoff?

A: Yes sir, I am. I think it will be fun to watch and one day be a part of.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

A: Deion Sanders, just because I think he is one of the best to ever play the game.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

A: I like wearing the number one because of the swagger than comes with it and it's also my favorite number.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?

A: Wyoming, after my sophomore year.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

A: I have five offers. (Nebraska, Arizona State, Kansas State, Utah, Wyoming)

Q: You decommitted from Arizona State and pledged to Nebraska after attending their Junior Day in early February. What was it about Nebraska that made you want to make the switch?

A: I have nothing but great things to say about Arizona State. Both the school and their coaching staff. Nebraska is simply a better situation for me and was an opportunity I knew I couldn't pass up.

Q: In addition to 'National Letter of Intent Day' in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball? Perhaps in August?

A: Yes sir, I plan to sign in August if possible.

Q: What were some of the considerations you had when comparing schools?

A: Education, getting my degree, and the system I was going to play in.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?

A: I want to do something along the lines of sports medicine.

Q: Are there any schools who continue to recruit you despite your commitment?

A: Yes sir, most of the Pac-12. Along with Alabama, Vanderbilt and Kansas State to name a couple.

Q: Did you attend Nebraska's Spring Game, how was it?

A: Yes sir, I did! It was awesome and I can't wait to play in it next year!

Q: Do you plan on attending the Big Red Weekend this June?

A: Yes sir.

Q: Who was your lead recruiter for Nebraska?

A: Coaches (Barney) Cotton and (Charlton) Warren

Q: Despite your pledge to the Huskers, will you take any official visits anywhere else?

A: No sir, I only plan on taking one official and that's to Nebraska!

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

A: It's an amazing opportunity to be recruited and have schools come after you. I try to enjoy the whole process and don't find any of it annoying.

Q: You are capable of playing corner or safety at the college level. Where does Nebraska plan to put you?

A: Cornerback

Q: Do you have a preferred position?

A: I'll play wherever the team needs me to!

Q: What do you view as some of your playing strengths?

A: How physical I play, my tackling and I am good at making plays on the ball.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

A: My overall technique.

Q: How would you feel about Redshirting?

A: My goal is to not redshirt, but if it's what is best for the team I will.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?

A: Finish strong in school, graduate early and win another state championship.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

A: I always set my mind on team goals and let individual things work themselves out.

Q: What will you miss the most about high school?

A: My football family!

Q: You won MVP at the Rivals camp in Chicago and also at a 7v7 in Kansas City. Do you plan on attending any other camps or combines this spring/summer?

A: Not at the moment. My goal is to make it onto the Rivals 100 and the Nike Opening though.

Q: What is the craziest recruiting "pitch" you have heard so far?

A: There have been some crazy ones. I don't think I could name a craziest.

Q: Are you taking an active role in peer recruiting for Nebraska? Who have you talked with?

A: Yes sir, a number of guys. Aaron Williams (safety out of Georgia) is one of the guys Eric (Lee) and I are really trying to convince.

Q: What are 3 things on your 'Bucket List'?

A: Go sky driving, buy my mom her dream house and go to Radio City Music Hall and watch the NFL Draft.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

A: My mom, dad and little sister Asia.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is the wide receivers coach