Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • PELINI'S LAST YEAR?

PELINI'S LAST YEAR?

Following Nebraska's 33-0 manhandling of Arizona in the '09 Holiday Bowl that capped a 10-4 Husker season, NU head football coach, Bo Pelini proclaimed, "Husker football is back."

Mike Carter-USA TODAY Sports
    Pelini may have been caught up in the moment, but he may have had good reason to feel that way. After all, he had transformed a Husker defense that just a year before he arrived in '08, was one of the worst in all of college football. But by the end of '09, the Huskers had the #1 ranked scoring defense in college football.

From worst to first in just two years. Not bad.

Also that same year, Nebraska had come within one second of winning the Big 12 title, losing to Texas 13-12.

And the next year wasn't bad, either. There was another 10-4 season that once again saw the Huskers in another Big 12 Conference championship game, losing to this time to Oklahoma, 23-20.

Despite those setbacks, Husker football looked as if it was getting back on track.

But since that "shining" moment in the '09 Holiday Bowl, the Huskers have gone 0-3 in bowl games and have zero conference titles.

Oh yes, there was the matter of trasitioning from the Big 12 to the B1G. But many Husker fans thought even with the move, that the best was yet to come for Bo Pelini and Nebraska football.

COSGROVE'S GHOST?

But with six double digit losses over the next two years including meltdowns at Wisconsin and Michigan in '11 and last year's 63-38 blowout loss at Ohio State and the 70-31 meltdown against a then 7-5 Wisconsin team in the last year's B1G title game, football fans, not just Husker fans going in to this season, are still wondering what in the name of Kevin Cosgrove is going on?

BO'S MOJO?
    How can this be? Has Pelini lost his mojo?

To some, it sure seems so. In fact, most of the preseason mags don't have NU in the B1G title conversation. Some even have the Huskers finishing third in the Legends Division. And did you see Sports Illustrated's Top 25 preseason rankings?

Nebraska is nowhere to be seen. Nowhere. Gulp.

RODNEY DANGERFIELD?

And the lack of respect is understandable. The Huskers' penchant for self destruction and inept defenses have pushed Nebraska to the brink of irrelevance-at least by some of the so-called experts in the media.

SAME 'O SAME 'O?

So what's a Husker fan to do? Conventional wisdom says that it will be more of the same in 2013. More sloppy play, defensive meltdowns. Maybe an appearance in the conference title game, but with another loss. And to cap the season, the Huskers will suffer another defeat in a non-BCS bowl game. Sigh.

Bo's critics may be right. Time will tell, but for this long time Husker fan, I don't buy a bit of it. I'm not going to jump into the skeptic tank. Not this year. Not with this talent. Not with this coaching staff.

THE LAST SEASON?

Will 2012 be the last time Bo ever fields a Husker football team that self-destructs? One that can't win "big" games? One that leads the nation in turnovers? One that embarrasses itself on national TV? Will last season be Nebraska's last year of high hopes and faded dreams?

Yes.

THE YEAR OF THE CORN?
    This year will be Nebraska's year. First and foremost, Bo, while still learning his craft, can coach.

Bo Knows.

And after making much needed staff changes over the past three years, Bo now has a stable group of assistants capable of coaching winners. Everybody's on the same page this season. And the players?

This year's crop of Cornhuskers is going to surprise a lot of people, but not themselves or their coaches.

Look for the offense to carry the team early on, but once the defense (they may turn out to be the most talented group Bo's had at Nebraska) gains experience and confidence, look out. The talent on defense is scary.

Really scary. Speed, speed and more speed abounds.

And the offense? They won't self-destruct. What they will do is cause nightmares for most defenses. Just stay healthy, #3. Please?

Husker Dan's Preseason Pigskin Predictions:
    1) Taylor Martinez will complete 68% of his passes this season.
    2) He will be invited to the Downtown Athletic Club in December.
    3) NU will win at Ann Arbor.
    4) NU will down a good UCLA team at home.
    5) Alabama and Ohio State will not play for the NC.
    6) NU will meet Ohio State in the B1G title game.
    7) NU will be a plus in Turnover margin.
    8) Martinez will be All B1G again.
    9) NU will win its first BCS bowl game since '99
    10) NU will finish in the final Top Ten
    And #11 (drum roll, please), NU wins its first conference title since '99. Am I dreaming? Maybe. Maybe not.

Stay tuned, Husker fans. The train is about to leave the station.

You may contact the writer at HuskerDan@cox.net

Comments 17 Comments
      Breathless -
      I'll second what Husker Dan said.
      SoCalRed -
      I'll have what he's having.
      Unregistered -
      More Koolaid, sire? you're basically saying we will win the NC: no meltdowns or self destruction and we beat Northwestern and MSU AT HOME, you already said we beat Michigan and UCLA and win the Conference title game, and you said we would win the BCS game. All that equals a national title and I just don't see it.
      Unregistered -
      ^^Im saying the only way Northwestern or MSU beats us at home is if we beat ourselves
      Unregistered -
      ...and I would love a chance to sell this cat the moon!
      Freudian Zip -
      Way too optimistic. I remember last year this time of year, the pundits were just as optimistic, saying NE had a chance for a National Title. The only way NE has a chance to win a Conference Championship is if somehow OSU is not in it, which I can't imagine happening. I fear worse is going to happen though. This feels like 2007 when NE started out ranked 20 and had high hopes coming off a close, but disappointing 2006 season. In 2007, a Cali school pulled the stitch that unraveled the disastrous. year. I hope I'm wrong, but history has a way of repeating itself.
      Cyberbach -
      Thanks for the refreshing optomism Dan, it reminds me of the Glory Years.... hope you're right. BBR
      Trump -
      I'm with you Dan on how scary good this defense can grow to be. I love that the schedule sets them up for a learning curve for live game situation against non-elite competition to start the year (less UCLA). I also think the coaches jumped the gun with the move to the BIG TEN by thinking they needed bigger linebackers. The speed of this defense will be a refreshing sight. I'm glad I'm not the only one chugging the Kool-Aid. GBR!!!
      Unregistered -
      Unless I am missing something, if we beat Michigan and UCLA, AND win the conference championship we would most likely be undefeated unless there is an upset that i failed to read about, and thus our bowl game would be in the NCG. Stay with me..... And so IF we are to win a BCS game that would in fact be the NGC which would mean..... Oh I can't even say the words, but I hope your right!!!
      Unregistered -
      Either way, lets hope for a great season - 11 wins should be in our future, and whatever else comes will be just dandy! Go Big Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Unregistered -
      I took a look at the fine print on a package of Big Red Kool-Aid. It read > Side effects of drinking one serving: blind Husker optimism. Side effects of one million servings injected directly into one's bloodstream: see Husker Dan's preseason predictions.
      Unregistered -
      I agree that this defense is going to be alot better than people give them credit for now. Athleticism, power, and speed to burn. Yes they are young and are going to make mistakes, but their talent will carry them along ways. I am really excited about this D. The Offense, if it can limit the turnovers, is one of the best in the country....if not the best. I'm kind of in the belief that the only thing that can stop this Offense is themselves. I think this team has a shot to be one of those teams the nobody wants to play by the end of the season. I still worry about the turnovers, they have to get them under control. We'll see what happens.
      Unregistered -
      love it. and hate this terminology of "drinking the kool-aid". why is it bad to have unparalleled optimism and hope at this time of year rather than bashing your team and Bo? isn't that what it means to unconditionally love your team as a fan? we are 0-0 as is everyone else. from the doldrums of the last 6 months with all the online haters and malcontents (or realists as they claim), here's one for the optimists. thank you good sir.
      Unregistered -
      mmm, love me some kool-aid this first game week...how about another round
      huskers4life -
      That's what I'm talking about GO BIG RED
      Unregistered -
      Wake up! You were dreaming. Bo's last year? Fingers crossed.
      MNhusker -
      will it be? no. should it be? probably.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of Volleyball?