Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Interview with Matt Dickerson

Matt Dickerson of Junipero Serra High School in San Mateo, California, is rated a four-star prospect by ESPN and is a member of their Top 300.

He is a talented defensive lineman who projects as either a defensive tackle or a strong-side defensive end at the next level.

Dickerson's versatility is an added quality the coaches covet. He has scholarship offers from some of the most prestigious programs in the country. Among them are USC, Oregon, Notre Dame, Washington and UCLA, schools that traditionally recruit the state of California hard.

Nebraska has done a good job of getting their foot in the door with Matt and will attempt to pull him out of Pac-12 country.

I had the opportunity to interview Matt in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?

A: For fun I like to fish and play basketball tournaments on the weekends.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?

A: I started playing football my freshman year. Did not think much of playing it before then.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?

A: I never watched college football growing up.

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?

A: The San Francisco 49'ers.

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?

A: I would watch college football over the NFL any day. I believe college football is more competitive and the players have more passion.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

A: No not really. A lot of my technique I like to use is from our defensive line coach and other college coaches that give me tips on what works best.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

A: No important reason for my jersey number #99.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA is going to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?

A: I like that the NCAA is going to a playoff because it eliminates the "what if" question for many teams.

Q: Who was your first scholarship offer?

A: My first scholarship offer was from Nevada.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

A: I currently have 17 offers.

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?

A: I'm pretty satisfied with my list. I'm at the point of narrowing down my decision but at the same time keeping an open mind.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?

A: When looking where to go, I want to make an academic and football decision. A good balance between the two is where I'm going to go.

Q: Who are the schools currently on your list for consideration? Any leader(s)?

A: No leaders at this moment.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?

A: A lot of the schools I visited and met in person are the schools that recruit me the hardest. Usually right after a visit, they start recruiting me hard.

Q: Do you pay attention to the recruiting momentum of the teams you are considering?

A: Not too much, no matter how many guys they recruit for my position. I believe the person that's going to succeed is the person who works the hardest and is dedicated no matter how many stars they have.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?

A: I attended spring games at Colorado and UCLA.

Q: Do you plan on attending any camps or combines this summer?

A: I attended the Colorado camp at my school and I'm currently at the UW camp. No others.

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to use your official visits on?

A: I've been trying to see what schools fit in with my school game schedule. If they are home or away.

Q: What positions are you being recruited to play?

A: Strong-side defensive end and defensive tackle.

Q: What position would you prefer to play in college?

A: It doesn't matter what position I play as long as we win.

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?

A: My get off and my motor. I don't stop till the play and the game is over.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

A: I would like to work on all of my techniques and my hand usage and placement.

Q: How would you feel about Redshirting?

A: If the coaches believe I should redshirt I would redshirt. I really don't know how I feel about it. Whatever they want.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

A: The hardest part about recruiting is trying to keep up with all of the calls from coaches and making sure you call them back at the right times.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?

A: I'm thinking of majoring in philosophy or business.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?

A: My goal is to win a state championship and be considered the #1 High School team in the country after the season.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

A: Just to succeed and make it to the NFL after I graduate.

Q: What do you think you will miss most about high school?

A: My friends that I have known since kindergarten.

Q: What is the craziest recruiting pitch you have heard so far?

A: That I will be a 1st round draft pick after 3 years.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?

A: Not really, I'm just taking my time with the process. I think about my choices everyday.

Q: In addition to National Letter of Intent Day in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball has?

A: There is still the option to commit early. I really don't know.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?

A: Washington is my first camp visit where we stayed in the dorms with other top recruits around the nation. It's interesting to talk to someone in the same shoes as you are.

Q: What are 3 things on your Bucket List?

A: One is to win a national title at whatever school I go to. Two is to get as many sacks and tackles as possible. Three is making friends for life in college.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

A: The biggest influence in my life is my Dad because he had the willpower to be the first person in his family to attend college and make a better life for himself.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments 2 Comments
      Red Reign -
      Love these interviews my friend....keep them coming...
      Unregistered -
      No Husker questions? Where is Big Red on your list? Plan on visiting? What do you know about Nebraska? Anything....?
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of fb.