Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Interview with Gaelin Elmore

Gaelin Elmore of Somerset High School in Wisconsin is one of Nebraska's top targets at tight end for the 2014 class. Elmore is a three-star prospect and considered the best skill-position player in the state. Nebraska will likely only sign one tight end for this class, and the Huskers would prefer Elmore to fill the vacancy. I had the opportunity to interview Gaelin in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?

A: For fun I enjoy playing basketball, hanging out with friends and working out.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?

A: I actually didn't play organized football until 6th grade. I played in a peewee league.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?

A: Favorite college team was Michigan. I don't really follow them as much now, but growing up I loved to watch Mike Hart, Chad Henne and Steve Breaston. Those guys made me love football.

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?

A: I really enjoy everything about the New Orleans Saints. I've liked them since I was around 6th grade.

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?

A: I think college football is better just because they still play for the passion of the game. It means more to the players, fans and towns. The NFL is a business while college kind of has the best of both worlds. Just the atmosphere and everything else about college football is just different.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

A: No, I don't really try to play like any specific player. I feel like the way I play the TE position, that not too many NFL TE's do it the same way. I'm more of a gritty, base blocking TE. Nowadays, you see more pass catching TE's. Although I really enjoy watching Jimmy Graham and Tony Gonzalez.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

A: No great TE's really have had the number 85, so when it was open my freshman year I jumped all over it and kind of made it my own.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA is going to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?

A: I think the playoff system will be great for college football. It allows other schools who normally don't get chosen for BCS games to have a better chance to get into the playoff format and prove themselves.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?

A: My first offer was from the Minnesota Gophers the day after signing day for the 2013 class.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

A: I currently have 7 scholarship offers.

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?

A: Any big time school that's not in the Midwest would be really great. It would really get my name out there like an Alabama, Florida or Oregon. Those are three schools that have shown consistent interest in me but it would be nice to see one pull the trigger and offer me.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?

A: In no particular order I'd say playing style, depth/playing time, coaching staff and recruiting capabilities.

Q: Who are the schools currently on your list for consideration? Any leader(s)?

A: Iowa State, Nebraska, Michigan State, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Wisconsin and Minnesota are all schools I'm looking at.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?

A: I'd say Nebraska, Iowa State and Minnesota have been recruiting me the hardest.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?

A: I had the chance to attend Wisconsin's Spring Game.

Q: Do you plan on attending any camps or combines this summer?

A: I've already attended Iowa State's team camp. I will also camp at Ohio State, and possibly at Oregon, Alabama and Florida.

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to use your official visits on?

A: Yes, I'd like to take visits to the SEC schools like Alabama and Florida. It would be nice to take one to Nebraska.

Q: What positions are you being recruited to play?

A: I'm being recruited to play TE, but some schools have hinted at DE too.

Q: What position would you prefer to play in college?

A: I think the position that allows me to contribute the most at the next level is TE.

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?

A: First thing that comes to mind is my blocking ability. I really have pride in being able to control the line of scrimmage and dominate with my blocking.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

A: Getting more explosive would never hurt. I would just like to show schools that I have legitimate speed and abilities for the passing game that can translates to college.

Q: How would you feel about Redshirting?

A: Redshirting would be okay. I'm not going to say I wouldn't rather play, but being given the opportunity to train at the college level for a year and adjust to the college speed would be a great opportunity.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

A: I'd say the most annoying part is all the interviews after you visit a place. It's like 4 or 5 every time. And I don't wanna be the kid that is rude and says no to someone so that gets old sometimes.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?

A: I don't have a specific major set yet. I've been thinking about broadcasting but I don't know for sure yet.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?

A: Senior year I would like to defend our state championship as best as possible. Repeating would be unbelievable, but that's always tough so we will just take it step by step.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

A: Being the best at your position should be a goal for every incoming collegiate athlete. But I wouldn't say individual accomplishments as much as I would some conference championships or winning bowl games.

Q: What do you think you will miss most about high school?

A: I will definitely miss the people. There have been a lot of people that have been there for me throughout high school and it will take some getting used to not seeing them every day.

Q: W
    hat is the craziest recruiting pitch you have heard so far?

A: I really can't think of any crazy pitches. (laughing) So if I can't remember any, then they couldn't have been that bad.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?

A: I want to take some officials to check out some game atmospheres. So sometime in the fall.

Q: In addition to National Letter of Intent Day in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball has?

A: Yeah there should be. Most importantly, so kids can start taking official visits earlier than in the fall. The beginning of senior year is ridiculously hectic.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?

A: Yeah, all the schools I've been looking at, I stay in contact with commits they have. I talk with guys like Allen Lazard and Sam Seonbuchner from Iowa St. Billy Hirschfield and George Panos from Wisconsin, and Brian Allen from Michigan State; I talk to all those guys.

Q: What are 3 things on your Bucket List?

A: Go to state in basketball, graduate from college and get drafted into the NFL.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

A: I'd say my father has been the biggest influence on me. He has instilled a lot if his qualities, morals and beliefs in me. He has sculpted me and kept me motivated to be the athlete I am. I wouldn't be where I am without him.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments 1 Comment
      FtOmaHusker -
      Great interview. But one thing that stood out to me about "no great TE's wearing number 85"... Antonio Gates?!?!
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is the Linebackers coach