Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Interview with Blake Bone

Blake Bone, a four-star wide receiver prospect according to Rivals, received his scholarship offer from Nebraska nearly two weeks ago. Bone has long been considered one of the better receiving prospects in South Carolina and the entire SEC-region. Bone is quickly gaining scholarship offers from some of the top schools in the SEC and ACC conferences, but the Huskers are still squarely in the hunt for gaining this blue-chip players commitment.

I had the opportunity to interview Blake in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?

A: I like to chill mostly. I will hop on the sticks and play Xbox.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?

A: I started playing football in 5th grade.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?

A: My favorite college team growing up was North Carolina because that is where I am from originally.

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?

A: My favorite NFL team is the Atlanta Falcons.

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?

A: I think college football is better even though the money is in the NFL.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

A: I try to play like Michael Crabtree.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

A: The number 8 is one of my favorite numbers. I am going to try and wear #6 in college.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA is going to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?

A: To me it might be a better thing with the playoff system, but we'll see.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?

A: My first scholarship offer was from South Carolina. They offered me in 10th grade.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

A: I have 9 offers right now.

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?

A: Not any school in particular. I am happy with what I have and what might come.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?

A: Some considerations I have when looking at colleges would be playing time, their style of offense and definitely their tradition.

Q: Who are the schools currently on your list for consideration? Any leader(s)?

A: My top 5 would have to be South Carolina, Louisville, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Nebraska.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?

A: Kentucky, Louisville and South Carolina are recruiting me pretty hard.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?

A: I didn't attend any spring games.

Q: Do you plan on attending any camps or combines this summer?

A: I'll probably do a lot of work individually or with my team this off season.

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to use your official visits on?

A: I would like to use official visits on all five of my current favorites.

Q: What positions are you being recruited to play?

A: I'm being recruited to play wide receiver and that's where I'll play in college.

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?

A: Some of my playing strengths would be my ability to get separation and being able to go up and get the ball and catch it in traffic.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

A: Something I am working on right now is my strength.

Q: How would you feel about redshirting?

A: I would redshirt if I had to.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

A: The most annoying aspect is the recruiters and scouting sites that constantly blow your phone up.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?

A: I kind of want to stay around sports or business with my major.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?

A: My goal for my senior year is to get a ring no matter what.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

A: My individual goals are to earn a starting spot early. I also want to win a national championship and break school records.

Q: What will you miss the most about high school?

A: I will miss Friday night lights the most because our town is full of tradition when it comes to football.

Q: What is the craziest recruiting pitch you have heard so far?

A: Nothing too crazy, really.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?

A: I do want to commit sometime early next season. We'll see though.

Q: In addition to National Letter of Intent Day in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball has?

A: To me, national signing day is fine like it is.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?

A: I have talked to some top recruits about a few schools, yeah.

Q: What are 3 things on your Bucket List?

A: My bucket list would be to make a name for myself, make it to the NFL and turn all of my dreams into a reality.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

A: My head coach has been the biggest influence in my life.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at
    N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of fb.