Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Interview with Demornay Pierson-El

Demornay Pierson-El is a versatile athlete from West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia. He is being recruited to play multiple positions at the next level. Schools are recruiting him to play running back, wide receiver and defensive back. Nebraska likes his versatility and how his skill set would fit into their offense. With the struggles the Huskers have had the past few years in the return game, Pierson-El would also bring added value to their special teams units. I had the opportunity to interview Demornay in an attempt to gain some insight into his recruiting experience. The following is a transcript from that:

Q: What kind of things do you do for fun?

A: I like to work out and hang out with my friends.

Q: At what age did you start playing football?

A: I started playing at a young age, like 4 or 5.

Q: What was your favorite college team growing up?

A: Growing up my favorite team was probably West Virginia.

Q: Have a favorite NFL Team?

A: Yes I have a favorite NFL team, the Baltimore Ravens.

Q: Which is better, the NFL or college?

A: I hope to experience both. The NFL game is probably better.

Q: Do you try and emulate any specific player?

A: If anything I admire Ray Lewis. The way he led his team and kept them in games and his passion to keep pushing his team and the people around him.

Q: Any particular reason for the jersey number?

A: Not really, I just love the #5.

Q: Are you happy the NCAA is going to a playoff, or did you prefer the BCS system?

A: I liked the old system because I knew how it worked. I wanna see how the new system is going to work.

Q: When and who was your first scholarship offer?

A: Old Dominion offered me in December I think. It was at the end of my junior year.

Q: How many scholarship offers do you currently have?

A: I currently have seven D-1 offers.

Q: Is there a school that hasn't offered you that you would like to see do so?

A: I like a lot of schools, I'm not too picky. Whichever schools come and offer me, I'm happy with it. But if I had to pick someone it would probably be Ohio State.

Q: What are some of the considerations you have when deciding between schools?

A: The system they run is important. Also how I feel about the school itself and the people around me. It's important how I feel about the school; if I couldn't play football would I still enjoy myself?

Q: Who are the schools currently on your list for consideration? Any leader(s)?

A: I probably have to say North Carolina, Nebraska and Boston College - not in that order. They are pretty even.

Q: Who is currently recruiting you the hardest?

A: I would say that Nebraska, North Carolina and Boston College are recruiting me the hardest too.

Q: Do you pay attention to the recruiting momentum of the teams you are considering?

A: Yes I have.

Q: Did you attend any schools Spring Game?

A: No I couldn't. I was in school and I didn't want to miss any days.

Q: Do you plan on attending any camps or combines this summer?

A: I might go to a few camps, but I am not too sure yet. I am still trying to get dates together.

Q: Have you thought about who you might want to use your official visits on?

A: I know North Carolina, Nebraska and Boston College are all places I'll take official visits to. It depends on who else comes on later to recruit me for me to use my other two visits on.

Q: What positions are you being recruited to play?

A: I'm an athlete; schools are wanting me for running back, wide receiver and kick returner.

Q: What position would you prefer to play in college?

A: Most schools want me on the offensive side but I'll play defense too.

Q: What do you feel are some of your playing strengths?

A: My strengths are my speed and my hands. I am good at making people miss too. I have good vision in the open field.

Q: What are some things you would like to work on between now and college?

A: I want to work on getting in and out of breaks better and work on my foot work.

Q: How would you feel about redshirting?

A: If I redshirt, it's cool I guess.

Q: What is the most annoying aspect of the recruiting process?

A: The most annoying thing is probably the coaches stating the same facts over and over again.

Q: Do you have a major in mind?

A: Yes, I would like to major in physical therapy.

Q: What are your goals for your senior season?

A: I want to break my schools receiving records and make sure some of my teammates get looked at in the process. I want to have fun; it's my last year of high school.

Q: Do you have any individual goals for your college career?

A: My college goals are to win a bowl game and a conference championship. I would like to win the Fred Biletnikoff Award and become an All-American.

Q: What will you miss the most about high school?

A: I'm gonna miss being coached by my current coach and playing with all of my friends.

Q: What is the craziest recruiting pitch you have heard so far?

A: I haven't heard anything too crazy yet.

Q: Do you have a time frame as to when you would like to commit?

A: I want to commit no later than the 5th game into my season. Anytime from tomorrow until my 5th game.

Q: In addition to National Letter of Intent Day in February, should there be an early signing period like college basketball has?

A: No, I like that it has its own day. I like that everybody does it on the same day.

Q: Have you communicated with any prospective recruits about attending the same school?

A: Yes, I have talked with North Carolina commit Caleb Henderson and also with Marvin Stewart.

Q: What are 3 things on your Bucket List?

A: I haven't put my list together yet, lol.

Q: Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

A:The biggest influence in my life would have to be God and my family.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is the Linebackers coach