Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • HUSKER DAN'S RANDOM THOUGHTS

RANDOM THOUGHTS
    Because I'm too lazy to write a "real" column, you'll just have to put up with another one of my lame "Random Thoughts" segments. So just deal with it...

*Bo Pelini's Harlem Shake
    Kudos to Bo for loosening up a bit on camera, but can anyone imagine Tom Osborne making a video like that one?

*Man'ti Teo

I'm glad (and relieved) that the Notre Dame LB didn't win the Heisman-not because of his Harvey-like dead girlfriend, but because if Ndamukong Suh didn't win it in 2009, no defensive player should ever win it. Ever. End of story.

*Hunt With The Huskers

There is still time to get in on a really exciting Husker experience that will take place this Saturday at the Oak Creek Hunting Club near Brainard, NE. Husker fans will have a chance to go hunting with a bunch of former Husker football greats, and maybe even legendary Husker head coach, Tom Osborne. Coach Osborne doesn't make many personal appearances and with his retirement, he'll probably do even fewer of them. "Hunt" is produced by Great Plains Marketing and money raised from the event will go to Tom Osborne's TeamMates Mentoring Program. For details and to book your reservation, contact Gerry Gray at 402-393-0492 or on his cell at 402-917-2219. Remember to tell him Groucho sent you...
    http://www.huskermax.com/partners/hunt2013.html

*Bo Pelini and his staff must be sleeping a lot more soundly, especially after the past two recruiting classes.

Here are some of my predictions for the 2013 football season.
    The Huskers will be faster, stronger, quicker and have much greater depth.
    The talent level may be the best since '99.
    Experience factor on defense? Not so much.
    The offense will be rated in the Top 5 nationally.
    The defense will be end up in the Top 25-that is if the talent develops.
    Taylor Martinez will be a Heisman front-runner, especially early in the season.
    Martinez will come close to a 70% pass completion rate.
    RFr Receiver Jordan Westerkamp will dazzle.
    QB Tommy Armstrong will get a see a fair amount of PT, especially early in the season.
    QB Johnny Stanton will redshirt.
    Ameer Abdullah will rush for at least 1,500 yards
    NU will meet the Buckeyes for the B1G title.
    Because of their schedule, NU could go 12-0 in the regular season, but with some possible bumps ahead-UCLA at home and Michigan and Penn State on the road-the record will more likely be 11-1.
    I'm quitting while I'm behind...

The Rex Effect

Ron Brown recently talked about the impact Rex Burkhead has had on the running backs. "Rex wasn't a vocal leader, but he led by example. He's raised the bar very high for the other running backs," he said. Brown went on to say that RB Imani Cross is the best athlete he's ever seen. He didn't say he was the best running back, but just that he's the best athlete he's ever seen. That's really saying something. Look for Cross to be an every down kind of a player. He's also lost weight and might be a step faster.

*Fizza-CAL-a tee and other stupid words.

For the record: I loathe the new jock word, physicality. It stinks. Writers and broadcasters should cease and desist immediately. There are already enough words that can be used. The last time I checked, they worked just fine: athleticism, strength, talent, speed, agility, power, to name a few. What's worse, this corruption has spread to the music world. Musicality. OFTLOG...
    Physicality ranks down there with dove, as in "he dove for the ball." It is dive, dived, has dived. Remember, a d-o-v-e is a b-i-r-d. Okay, I'll shut up.
    *If Beth Mowens is doing the TV play-by-play for your favorite team, chances are it isn't playing for a national championship.
    *This fall, the Huskers will have three romantic players on the team: Courtney Love, Vincent Valentine and Greg Hart. Sigh...

*Creighton-NU basketball:

Doug McDermott (F) is the best basketball player I've ever seen wearing either a Creighton or Nebraska jersey. Bluejay fans are hoping (praying?) that #3 sticks around for his senior year. And no, I never saw Fred Hare when he played for NU nor Paul Silas or Bob Gibson when they were with CU.

*Watched so much postseason football that my eyes bled.

*One thing I came to realize: There are many talented players on all levels (D-1, D1AA, D-2 and even NAIA). Not necessarily great teams, but there are some kids who could play anywhere.

You may contact the writer at HuskerDan@cox.net.

Comments 9 Comments
      Unregistered -
      maybe your thoughts are too random. stick to football. if you are going to write about words, at least look them up: both dived and dove are used as past tense of dive. although if you are predicting 11-1 or 12-0 your football thoughts aren't much better.
      Unregistered -
      Fred Hare didnt start most of the time or play his Senior year. Did not play pro ball. Great high school player but couldnt dunk. Nice kid with a great shot and basketball IQ but small and couldnt dunk.
      skers -
      dont forget michael and jonathan Rose
      Unregistered -
      Undefeated makes me laugh as we lost 8 starters on a pathetic unit that gave up massive amounts of yards and resulted in blowouts ..pelini has lost 4 games every year. And as for recruiting he was not close to the classes that .Michigan and Ohio state have put together 2 years INA row...with the new divisions Nebraska will be laughed at just like the big 12 north was laughed at.....PELINI HAS SET THE BAR VERY LOW AND CANNOT PUT TOGETHER A TOP 10 RECRUITING CLASS.
      ksuhusker -
      I guess we should get ole Callahan back then huh, that way we could win, hmm, nothing.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by ksuhusker View Post
      I guess we should get ole Callahan back then huh, that way we could win, hmm, nothing.
      Just like Obama etc blame Bush for everything after 5 years....Every time someone tells THE TRUTH about BO ...someone tries to blame Callahan...He was not the answer and neither is BO!!!...Notre Dame wash t afraid to keep rolling the dice....Huskers need their JOKE of ten wins against Idaho States( what a joke)..these wins should not count..and they need to go to Fla every year to get destroyed by a SEC team...we are a joke on the National Stage with performances like Wisconsin UCLA and Ohio State......twice referees bailed us out at Mich State a phantom pass interference and a joke personal foul call....and the Penn State touchdown fumble...whats sad if we had lost that and the Northwestern game where Taylor hit Northwestern players in the hands and they dropped it.....MAYBE those losses put BO on the hotseat where he belongs
      hskrdavey -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      maybe your thoughts are too random. stick to football. if you are going to write about words, at least look them up: both dived and dove are used as past tense of dive. although if you are predicting 11-1 or 12-0 your football thoughts aren't much better.

And that my friends is why this is a "Pay to post" site. To keep d-bags like this guy out of here.... One's that hide behind their PC monitors and throw darts. (Yes I said PC Monitor cause obviously this guy is too cheap to ever use a laptop)
      werewasi -
      Quote Originally Posted by hskrdavey View Post
      And that my friends is why this is a "Pay to post" site. To keep d-bags like this guy out of here.... One's that hide behind their PC monitors and throw darts. (Yes I said PC Monitor cause obviously this guy is too cheap to ever use a laptop)
      Usage Note: Either dove or dived is acceptable as the past tense of dive. Usage preferences show regional distribution, although both forms are heard throughout the United States. According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, in the North, dove is more prevalent; in the South Midland, dived. Dived is actually the earlier form, and the emergence of dove may appear anomalous in light of the general tendencies of change in English verb forms.
      Bohama-Bob -
      I agree on the offense. With most of the players back and more depth they should rock. Last years defense lacked speed and agility especially in the LBs and Safetys. This year they will be noticably faster. If they can pick up the system they may be exceptional as well.

For the guy who is stuck on recruiting rank. Look at where all the stars got Texas and SC. You might also want to look at all the D2 and small school players in the NFL.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of fb.