Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • Buh Bye, Bob

Yesterday was the final Nebraska basketball game at the Bob Devaney Sports Center before the team moves to the new downtown Pinnacle Bank Arena.

All week, I’ve been reading and hearing memories, interviews with coaches and players, and other nostalgia over the closing* of the basketball arena.

*I wrote “closing” mainly so I could address a pet peeve: The Bob Devaney Sports Center is not closing, nor will it be demolished, abandoned, or used as a giant storage facility. It is being renovated for other sports – mainly, women’s volleyball, along with wrestling, gymnastics, etc). Heck, the Nebraska High School boys state tournament starts today, guarantees another three days of basketball. Talking about the BDSC “closing” really takes focus away from the exciting news that some of these smaller sports will be getting some pretty fancy digs next year.

I was asked if I was going to jump on the nostalgia train and give my favorite memories, best games I attended, random concerts and other events I attended there. My response?

Hell no.

It’s not that I don’t have fond memories of the Bob. My years as a Nebraska student (1993 – 1997) were on the tail end of the most successful stretch in school history – with “successful” being a term I use very loosely considering NU is one of three BCS schools without a win in the NCAA tournament.

But given the horrible basketball stench that has emanated out of the Bob for most of its life, and especially for this century, talking about cherished Devaney Center memories is kind of silly. Put it this way: when Baylor football moves to a new stadium, I doubt they will waste a lot of time reminiscing about all of the great years at Floyd Casey Stadium.

Instead, I’m going to write about the symbolic nature of the last basketball game at a place that has been referred to as the “Lincoln Library” and “Dead Dog Alley” for the lack of fan enthusiasm. For me, this final game at the Bob means one thing:

There are no more excuses for Nebraska being a below average (if not down-right horrible) basketball team.

Throughout the Devaney Era, there have been a number of excuses trotted out by coaches, players, administrators, fans, and media; all trying to explain why the basketball team has rarely been a winner. But team’s departure from the Devaney Center means that all of the excuses that have surrounded this program for years, if not decades, are gone.

• Inferior facilities? Not anymore. Nebraska’s facilities (arena and practice gym) will be among the best in the country. As it is, the Hendricks Center is widely described as one of the finest basketball facilities in the nation – college or pro.
    • Apathetic fans? The few years in the new building will have good attendance as folks come out to see the new arena and all that the Haymarket area has to offer. More importantly, Nebraska fans are hungry for a winner. If the team starts competing at or near the top of the Big Ten, the crowds will pack the area for years to come.
    • No home court advantage? In the college game, the student section sets the tone for rest of the fans. If the students aren’t into the game, nobody else will be either. I’m thrilled that the students will be getting some prime real estate (behind the benches and under the baskets) as well as their own entrance into the building.
    • A coach over his head in a power conference? Nebraska has struggled to find the right coach since Danny Nee left. Barry Collier and Doc Sadler each had good traits, but neither was capable of building a program in the Big XII/Big 10. I’ll admit that I wasn’t sure about the hire of Tim Miles, but I think he understands what needs to be done. More importantly, I think he’s capable of doing it.
    • A roster devoid of talent? To be a winning program you must have NBA-level talent. Nebraska’s talent level since the late 1990s has been closer to the local YMCA than the NBA. Recruiting will always be a challenge here(little home-grown talent, zero tradition, Lincoln can be a long way from home), but it can no longer be an excuse. Between the new facilities and the recruiting abilities of Tim Miles and his staff, an influx of talent is coming.
    • Lack of administration support? Basketball was neglected (if not completely ignored) during most of the 2000s, but the facilities and increased resources for Miles and his staff show that administration cares about producing a winning program.

I’m not saying that NU will finish in the top half of the conference in 2014, or will get to the Sweet 16 in 2015. They won’t. The talent level is still lower than it should be, and it will take time for the rebuilding efforts to come to fruition – likely multiple seasons of slow, but steady, growth.

But the bottom line does not change: There are no more excuses for why this program cannot be successful. Any remaining baggage should be left at Devaney and not moved to the new arena.

Dave Feit is a freelance writer living in Lincoln. Additional thoughts on the Huskers (and everything else) can be found on his blog (www.feitcanwrite.com). Follow him on Twitter or on Facebook.

Comments 10 Comments
      SoCalRed -
      I'l add only this. It's easier to win more quickly in basketball, which only requires seven solid players plus one real star. Get a real star and this program could turn around immediately. It doesn't have to take several seasons of slow, steady growth.

With the new facilities and the talent Miles has already recruited the program could move into the top half of the conference as early as next season.

One last thing. Yes, the Bob was antiquated and the practice facility was a dump, but that wasn't always true. Even with a brand new Devaney Center and increased fan support, the program didn't find a lot of success until Danny Nee showed up. Say what you will, it was in the Devaney that he/they enjoyed their greats run of success.

the new arena may increase support, but ultimately it will be the coaches and players that determine the future success of the program.
      Dave Feit -
      Alright...It turns out I couldn't resist "jumping on the nostalgia train". But since my list of memories is a) rather random and b) not widely relevant outside of my circle of friends, I'm not going to post them here.

If you want to read those (and find which celeb I sat by at a Weird Al Yankovic state fair concert), you can click here:

http://feitcanwrite.com/2013/03/07/buh-bye-bob/
      hskrncibolo -
      Miles can change the program in three years, he just needs to START putting the pieces together NOW>
      SoCalRed -
      Pieces:

Sergei Vucetic 7'1" Center
      Nick Fuller 6'7" SF
      Nate Hawkins 6'5" SG
      Tai Webster 6'3" PG
      Deverell Biggs 6'0" PG
      David Rivers 6'6" SF
      Shavon Shields 6'4" SG
      Benny Parker 5'8" PG
      Unregistered -
      You failed to mention Walter Pitchford and Terran Petteway. Those two should upgrade the athleticism immediately.
      Armchair -
      If he could add one more man of decent size... 6'8" -- 6'10" kinda range C/PF kinda guy with good hands. good hops, and a decent touch around the hoop, then I'd say he has some great building blocks to get started with.
      Guido -
      Walter Pitchford (6'10'' PF - Florida transfer) and Terran Petteway (6-6 SF - Texas Tech transfer) are the 2 players along with Biggs that have had the scout team regularly besting the starters in practice. If you are going to mention the key pieces, it would be good to include them on the list.
      Nebugeater -
      As a 15 year season ticket holder I get what you are saying about it is not closing So i will take the same stand with your statement on rebuilding. To say rebuild means you have been there before. I want to see the program go way beyond where they have been before thus it is not rebuilding but building a program.
      Unregistered -
      Quote Originally Posted by Armchair View Post
      If he could add one more man of decent size... 6'8" -- 6'10" kinda range C/PF kinda guy with good hands. good hops, and a decent touch around the hoop, then I'd say he has some great building blocks to get started with.
      Matthew Atewe would fill this roster spot if they can land him
      Dave Feit -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nebugeater View Post
      As a 15 year season ticket holder I get what you are saying about it is not closing So i will take the same stand with your statement on rebuilding. To say rebuild means you have been there before. I want to see the program go way beyond where they have been before thus it is not rebuilding but building a program.
      That is an excellent point. I totally agree.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of Volleyball?