Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
  • NEBRASKA STUMBLES, GETS HUMBLED AT THE BIG HOUSE, 45-17

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

I started keeping track of stats at the beginning of Saturday's game at Michigan. My Husker list included the usual: Number of 3 and outs (or is it threes and outs?), number of penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, number of first downs. It didn't take long to figure how this game was going to go. So I tore up the list and watched the game, falling farther into my leather recliner as the penalties, fumbles, mistakes continued to mount like snowflakes in a blizzard. Circular firing squads are always tough to watch, especially when it's your team that's getting mowed down.

A NOVEMBER BREEZE?
    This was a Husker meltdown of classic proportions. And the Wolverines fed off those mistakes. It was a walk in the park for them. A November summer breeze.

Despite the 28-point blowout, there aren't that many points separating the two teams. No way. But what's the saying, "Don't shoot someone who's committing suicide." That's all the Wolverines had to do Saturday. Wait for another Husker screw up and pounce on the opportunity.

OBITS
    Sunday's Omaha World-Herald was like reading an obituary. Let's put this turkey (sorry for the pun) to bed. At 8-3, the Huskers need all the positive karma they can muster this Friday in Lincoln when Nebraska hosts the 7-4 Iowa Hawkeyes.

THE FIRST ANNUAL "HICKOFF CLASSIC"
    Friday will mark the first annual Hickoff Classic, pairing two cornbelt teams that are known more for their tractors than their BMWs. The real name is (are your ready for this?) The Heroes Game. As you know, I love the B1G Conference (I don't like this symbol, but I'm using it anyway), love the new set of conference teams the Huskers will be playing. But, I'm sorry, the Legends and Leaders and Heroes names seem like they were created by the Just So Busy club of Verdigre, Nebraska. No, wait, they would have done better.

This will be a great series in the years to come (neither is playing for a spot in the B1G - there I go again - Championship game this year), but the series should provide fans of both teams some fat to chew on during the offseason.

HICK JOKES
    I've often rooted for the Hawkeyes (of course, not when they're playing the Huskers) but loved it when they have taken on the big boys of the Big Ten and beaten them through the years. After all, Nebraska and Iowa are the brunt of some of the same kind of jokes. "Do they take our money there?" easterners will say of the perceived backwardness of both states. Or, "Des Moines: The city of wide streets and narrow minds." Tain't funny, McGee.

Well, it's time to start your engines, gentlemen. Friday morning, 11:00 CST. Be there or be square. No wait, we're already square.

If you'd like to give me a piece of your mind, you may email me at HuskerDan@cox.net.

Comments 4 Comments
      "Hickoff Classic"

LOVE IT!
      HuskerLiz -
      Love the nickname.
      Unregistered -
      OK. I have to say that the names Leaders and Legends have grown on me.

At first, I thought they seemed a little contrived, a little arrogant, and a little over the top. But face it, in the marketing world, pretty much everything is contrived.

The names may seem a little silly at this point, but in 25 or 30 years, I think they will carry the weight they imply, and we will all say and hear them with pride.
      Husker Dan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
      OK. I have to say that the names Leaders and Legends have grown on me.

At first, I thought they seemed a little contrived, a little arrogant, and a little over the top. But face it, in the marketing world, pretty much everything is contrived.

The names may seem a little silly at this point, but in 25 or 30 years, I think they will carry the weight they imply, and we will all say and hear them with pride.

I'm not too sure the divisional names will endure quite that long. It wouldn't surprise me if the divisions add several more teams to the B1G (I hate that) Conference in the coming years. What really makes sense is that the teams be divided in to East and West.

WEST: Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Northwestern, Minnesota and Wisconsin. EAST: Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State (if it's still in the conference) and Purdue. There, doesn't that make more sense than the Legends and Leaders? I'm afraid we're stuck with The Heroes Game, at least for now, but with West and East division names, common sense will have been restored. Thanks for writing.
      Husker Dan
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Who is Head coach of fb.