• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiking Thread

That's the tough part with the Narrows. You need a back country permit in advance, you have to plan your travel in advance, and a high river can wipe out the best laid plans.

Yep, My son was down in a slot canyon for a school project earlier this year when it started raining, He said it was amazing how fast the canyon filled up. Fortunately they were at a spot where they could get up and out quickly so they never were truly in danger. He said he never had been so scared in his life as when they noticed the water rising.

Yep, My son was down in a slot canyon for a school project earlier this year when it started raining, He said it was amazing how fast the canyon filled up. Fortunately they were at a spot where they could get up and out quickly so they never were truly in danger. He said he never had been so scared in his life as when they noticed the water rising.
I've never had that displeasure, thank you very much. Cool that they were never truly in danger.

Adding up to the 554 mark today. Plans on an 8 miler tomorrow will get me over the 560 mark to 562. I have had a cold since last Saturday, and I struggled mightily today, so tomorrow may or may not happen. Here's to no snow until late October, early December...:Biggrin:

An update. I did a couple different trails today, and they kicked my ass, but they were very fun. With today's hikes, I have not only reached, but surpassed the 600 mile marker for the year. I am as close to as official as I can get, now standing at the 604 mile mark. I could be quite a bit further along, but the wild fires and all the smoke has cost me about 4 hikes since mid July. 1,000 seems unlikely now, as we are almost into September, but I've not thrown in the towel just yet.

I just hiked from the family room to the kitchen to refill my coffee cup....oh and ZION NP is awesome !!!

Last edited:
I just hiked from the family room to the kitchen to refill my coffee cup....oh and ZION NP is awesome !!!
I see you started your hiking today. Great example for the rest of us out of shape toads. It motivated me to start hiking too. My first trek was a moment ago, and was from the kitchen to the bedroom then on to the bathroom and back to the the bedroom. I'd estimate I went, oh about maybe 15-18 yards total. I'm slowly building up my mileage to match the 1000 mile goal. It will take me some time.

I see you started your hiking today. Great example for the rest of us out of shape toads. It motivated me to start hiking too. My first trek was a moment ago, and was from the kitchen to the bedroom then on to the bathroom and back to the the bedroom. I'd estimate I went, oh about maybe 15-18 yards total. I'm slowly building up my mileage to match the 1000 mile goal. It will take me some time.
Thanks for the levity.... That is freaking HILARIOUS!!!! :Lol::Rolf:

Okay, it's time to add a little update to my mileage. I've added 36 miles since I last posted and have pushed my total up to 640. I had to cancel a few hikes because of heavy smoke from California wildfires. Today was pretty clear for the most part. I started using Endomondo to track my hikes just last week. Some stats from today's hike. 7 miles with a hike time of 2 hours, average 3 1/2 mph for the whole hike. My max speed, which surprised even me, was clocked in at 8.12 mph( I jogged for about 1/2 mile, downhill and that must have been when I hit the 8.12). My highest elevation today was clocked in at 8009 feet and my lowest was 6232 feet. I'm having problems logging onto the website, but can access these stats from my phone. Oh well, I hope to be over 700 before or by October 1st, it will depend on the weather and any potential wild fires..... Update again soon....

Over the last two weeks, I have added hikes from as little as 4 miles(very tough, very steep elevation) to just over 15 miles. With today's hike in(leaving 7 days left in September)having gone about 8 miles, I am now 20 miles short of 700. So, 680 and counting, and with a vacation coming soon, I should at least be able to break the 750 mark by the next entry here. Fun times indeed.

Over the last two weeks, I have added hikes from as little as 4 miles(very tough, very steep elevation) to just over 15 miles. With today's hike in(leaving 7 days left in September)having gone about 8 miles, I am now 20 miles short of 700. So, 680 and counting, and with a vacation coming soon, I should at least be able to break the 750 mark by the next entry here. Fun times indeed.

Great time to hike in Colorado with all of the aspens turning.

I miss the mountains all the time, but I really miss them in late summer through the start of hunting season. Cools off nice, the scenery is spectacular and compared to down here in the Carolina's you can hike all day and not be soaking wet with sweat.

Well, being almost half way into October, the weather here is still absolutely gorgeous. I only worked about an hour and a half today(that was very nice) and managed to get in a really nice 7 mile hike that kicked my ass, but it was in a good way. I last posted at 680, and am very happy to report since then, I've added 48 miles to up my total to 728 for the year. It is supposed to either rain or snow this coming weekend(I'm rooting for rain here) so my bigger hikes in higher elevations, may be coming to an end for the year. As I stated, the goal was 1,000 miles, and I am very close to that goal. To actually get there before December 31st, I may have to do some desert hiking(I'd hoped to get all my miles at as high of elevations as possible).

I'll revisit this post sometime in November, close to December. Hopefully by then, I'll at least be over 800....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back