• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

MLS 2016

MLS plan for 28 teams by 2020? Is this a good thing?

Normally, I'd say absolutely not. But with the USA covering many more square miles than other leagues, are they looking to go more West/East separation to cut travel? Otherwise, I can't see many positives. Arena has already stated more teams will not necessarily mean more opportunities for American players.

There are 23 teams slated to be competing by 2018, 24 if you count Miami. So that would mean finding 4 more teams in the next 4 years. Considering how long it takes to get some of these expansion teams up and running, I think getting to 28 by 2020 is too optimistic. I can see 28 teams at some point with St. Louis is an obvious choice. Also, the Southwest is pretty much wide open for a team, whether that be Las Vegas or Phoenix. Granted, those two cities would probably require a domed stadium. Charlotte would be another good market for a team, and Indianapolis. That would get the league to 28 teams, and I don't see any of those new franchises impeding on a current franchise. Maybe the Southwest team steals some support from the Galaxy, and a St. Louis team takes some support from both SKC and Chicago, but those numbers wouldn't be very high.

Olympiakos made a bid for Dom Dwyer last week. Transfer offer somewhere north of 3M, I heard. Pretty sure Dom isn't in the mood to move right now with Sydney due next month. Making 618K this year, and I'm not sure what Olympiakos would offer for wages. I could see him excited about a move to one of the bigger leagues in Europe, but I'm not sold he would be keen to a lesser league. And in Greece for that matter. But, they make Champions League appearances regularly.

Last edited:
I had an opportunity to go to the Rapids vs Orlando City match on Saturday night. Was hoping I could catch JJ and Timmy in action, but JJ had sustained a knee injury and was out for the game. Timmy came up with a couple good saves, but mostly was just out there organizing the back line and being very vocal - almost cheerleader-esque. Not a great game, Colorado had more chances and actually did get a goal but it was waved off due to offsides. Still was a beautiful night and Dicks Sporting Goods Park is a great venue.

What I really want to talk about though is the OCSC fans... I don't know if they were travelling with the team or what, but they had a large contingent of fans in one section of the stadium (right next to my section) who were rather vocal. At first it was really entertaining as they were signing in unison and didn't repeat a song/chant for probably 20 minutes or so. But then things started changing and their chants became rather vulgar with a lot of swearing and they started flipping everyone around them off. They started throwing water bottles and other things at some of the Rapids fans. Obviously they had security's attention, but they didn't do much besides remove a few individuals who wouldn't stay off the cement wall. My biggest issue with it were all the little kids around that were having to listen to this along with it being 'Armed Forces Appreciation' night and this ridiculousness continued all through the night. Definitely wasn't impressed.

Anyone else have any issues with them?

The nice thing about being a season ticket holder is that the teams actually care if you complain about something. So, during the game, I could technically call my contact at SKC and make them aware of something. Now, I'm guessing if I did it too much and hassled them, my ability to do so would be taken away. But as it is now, if my kids were being subjected to utter vulgarity and flying objects, one phone call would end it pretty quick. That's another great thing about small venues.

Well I promise you everyone in the stadium heard them because Colorado doesn't have a great (loud) bunch of fans and like I said, they had a lot of security constantly standing around them. Reported attendance was 16,8xx, but it was mostly quiet minus a few plays and when everyone cheered for those being recognized for being a member of the Armed Forces...

The fans had a few handlers too from OC who were basically the buffer between the fans and the security guards... it honestly was an odd sight.

RSL was that way when we were season ticket holders.

We had an abusive fan visiting from Spain in front of us and he dared me to call and I did and he never uttered another peep. :)

The nice thing about being a season ticket holder is that the teams actually care if you complain about something. So, during the game, I could technically call my contact at SKC and make them aware of something. Now, I'm guessing if I did it too much and hassled them, my ability to do so would be taken away. But as it is now, if my kids were being subjected to utter vulgarity and flying objects, one phone call would end it pretty quick. That's another great thing about small venues.

Big news out of multiple sources today saying LD is in talks with the Galaxy to come out of retirement... holy crap. Honestly didn't see that coming.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-s...o-end-retirement-and-rejoin-la-galaxy-sources
He is only 34 and I think he was near burnout stage when he retired. I think the time off to start a family etc was good for him. If he can play anywhere near as good as he did before retiring it will be a welcome return to the league. Knowing him it will work out.

He is only 34 and I think he was near burnout stage when he retired. I think the time off to start a family etc was good for him. If he can play anywhere near as good as he did before retiring it will be a welcome return to the league. Knowing him it will work out.

For sure. Happy he is back - it will be good for MLS if he can get back to near his previous level.

31 seconds and Landon takes 2 points from SKC. Didn't know whether to cheer or curse him.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back