• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Talent

Yep, it's all because we have crappy players, even though our recruiting classes exceed those of any division foe. The recruiting services have been wrong. Except now they're finally right, because recruiting is going great, even though the class rankings have been pretty much the same as the last guy. It's very complicated and illogical, but it makes perfect sense if you bury your head deep enough in the sand (or Coach Riley's backside, whichever you prefer).
Blind man walking.

Ohio State...that's a talent issue but the west is all about coaching...discipline, heart, hunger. I like Mike, but the lack of fire on the field starts at the top. Meyer, Saban and Harbaugh would all do better with the talent we have.

Maybe, but we used to be proud of walk-ons around here. Now I suppose it's a sign of something bad. I guess we'll have to hope that every scholarship lineman pans out going forward, because this staff hasn't taken any walk-ons.

There's nothing wrong with the walk on program. But, there is a big difference between a walk-on who starts because they became an exceptional player and one who starts and is mediocre but there is just nobody better on the roster.

Last edited:

Maybe, but we used to be proud of walk-ons around here. Now I suppose it's a sign of something bad. I guess we'll have to hope that every scholarship lineman pans out going forward, because this staff hasn't taken any walk-ons.

LOL. Nebraskans will always be proud of walk-ons and Riley should probably have more O-linemen from in-state. But, some of this living in the past type thinking is what got the Huskers behind the curve in the first place, especially when it comes to QB recruiting.

Next year the front runners for LT, RG and LG will be from the former staff, Gates, Foster & Farmer. Decker will be in the mix at C and at RT Gaylord, Knevel and Brokop will be in the mix and all committed to the former staff.

We lost 4 players off the DL who were eligible to play this year. It doesn't seem like much of a coincidence to me that the only position group with defection issues was the group where the coach was fired. If we can't win the B1G West with players of the caliber of Stoltenberg and the Davis twins then we have issues recruiting won't fix. We will likely have a couple of Riley recruits in the mix on the DL next year, but those 3 along with Neal and King from the former staff will be there as well. Like it or not, recruits from the former staff will continue to play a very large roll on both lines.

Remember all the talk of these guys being "teachers", "coaching them up" and "beating you with your players" when this staff came in? The teams in the B1G that have been out recruiting us in recent years are in the East. This staff needs to be able to win the West with this talent. Looking at the W/L, this staff has under performed the former staff with the same level of players. Blaming talent for losses to teams we have out recruited isn't going to get it done. I believe this staff is better than that, apparently all of those blaming the talent disagree.

Barnett, Decker and Gaylord as well as Brokop stuck with Riley but I think you could see Wilson, Raridon and Farniok in the mix as well. I also think we see Knevel left behind at RT.

Next year the front runners for LT, RG and LG will be from the former staff, Gates, Foster & Farmer. Decker will be in the mix at C and at RT Gaylord, Knevel and Brokop will be in the mix and all committed to the former staff.

We lost 4 players off the DL who were eligible to play this year. It doesn't seem like much of a coincidence to me that the only position group with defection issues was the group where the coach was fired. If we can't win the B1G West with players of the caliber of Stoltenberg and the Davis twins then we have issues recruiting won't fix. We will likely have a couple of Riley recruits in the mix on the DL next year, but those 3 along with Neal and King from the former staff will be there as well. Like it or not, recruits from the former staff will continue to play a very large roll on both lines.

Remember all the talk of these guys being "teachers", "coaching them up" and "beating you with your players" when this staff came in? The teams in the B1G that have been out recruiting us in recent years are in the East. This staff needs to be able to win the West with this talent. Looking at the W/L, this staff has under performed the former staff with the same level of players. Blaming talent for losses to teams we have out recruited isn't going to get it done. I believe this staff is better than that, apparently all of those blaming the talent disagree.

So, you are saying that nothing happens between the time a recruiting ranking is set and that class graduates? Why not just give the national titles to the winners of the recruiting rankings then?

There are many variables that come into play between the time a recruiting class steps foot on campus and the last guy from that class plays his last snap. Just because you have a highly ranked class (ala Bill Callahan's first class) does not mean that you will have a great class when it is all said and done. The final product is impacted by injuries, transfers, maturity, homesickness, and about 100 other variables.

In regard to the Huskers, again, show me where the all-conference players are? Gates, Westerkamp on offense? Maybe? Maybe Gerry and Chris Jones on defense? Who is going to play on Sunday?

By the numbers, Nebraska has recruited better than Wisconsin and Iowa. On the field, we have seen a different story.

At the end of the day, it all comes back to the coaching staff with time. They didn't recruit the right players, didn't develop enough guys to their potential, didn't create a winning culture, didn't execute on gameday.

Time will tell with Riley, but they have to be given the chance to build the program.

But, people who think there is any comparison to what talent Jim Harbaugh inherited at Michigan and Mike Riley inherited at Nebraska are sadly delusional.

Last edited:
Ohio State...that's a talent issue but the west is all about coaching...discipline, heart, hunger. I like Mike, but the lack of fire on the field starts at the top. Meyer, Saban and Harbaugh would all do better with the talent we have.
I agree with this. I'm not trying to tell anyone that we have 3-deep national championship talent, but I think a better staff would get more out of this group. We're good enough (talent-wise) to win the West, especially this season. We shouldn't be struggling to put bad teams away in the 4th quarter week after week. We shouldn't be mauled by an average Iowa team in every phase of the game.

We aren't going to match Ohio State and Michigan on the recruiting trail, but we can (and have) consistently out-recruit our division. If we can't control our division, even with better talent, how are we going to win the conference against more talented teams? What sets us apart? Nothing, really. We have reasonably good players with moderately decent coaches. That mix isn't going to get us far.

There's nothing wrong with the walk on program. But, there is a big difference between a walk-on who starts because they became an exceptional player and one who starts and is mediocre but there is just nobody better on the roster.
Then that's on this staff for not getting scholarship guys prepared enough despite being in charge of the program for nearly 2 full years.

Then that's on this staff for not getting scholarship guys prepared enough despite being in charge of the program for nearly 2 full years.
And one full recruiting cycle. Again, recruiting misses and uneven classes in Bo's last couple years.

Edit: For that matter, Callahan gets 4 years and Bo got 7 but Riley gets 2?

Last edited:

So, you are saying that nothing happens between the time a recruiting ranking is set and that class graduates? Why not just give the national titles to the winners of the recruiting rankings then?

There are many variables that come into play between the time a recruiting class steps foot on campus and the last guy from that class plays his last snap. Just because you have a highly ranked class (ala Bill Callahan's first class) does not mean that you will have a great class when it is all said and done. The final product is impacted by injuries, transfers, maturity, homesickness, and about 100 other variables.

In regard to the Huskers, again, show me where the all-conference players are? Gates, Westerkamp on offense? Maybe? Maybe Gerry and Chris Jones on defense? Who is going to play on Sunday?

By the numbers, Nebraska has recruited better than Wisconsin and Iowa. On the field, we have seen a different story.

At the end of the day, it all comes back to the coaching staff with time. They didn't recruit the right players, didn't develop enough guys to their potential, didn't create a winning culture, didn't execute on gameday.

Time will tell with Riley, but they have to be given the chance to build the program.

But, people who think there is any comparison to what talent Jim Harbaugh inherited at Michigan and Mike Riley inherited at Nebraska are sadly delusional.

All conference players require coaching, but maybe you knew that? What does Harbaugh have to do with my post? Read again, I clearly said we have out recruited the West.

Maybe, but I don't think anyone here has enough information to know why the 2 deep looks like it does.

I will correct myself about defections. The position of C drew a lot of ire from internet fan this year, coming into the season we had 4* Paul Thurston leave after feeling he had done what he needed to do to get PT and 3* home grown Michael Decker who flirted with leaving for the same reason.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back